Archon with Single Coils?

strat63

The Torture Never Stops
I know there are a lot of Archon fans here and I assume most of them are played with guitars with humbuckers. Thing is I play Telecasters a lot of the time. I'd love to get some input from someone that leans towards single coils and the lower gain side of things.

I had a chance to play a 25 watt combo today for a little bit at low volumes but didn't get much of a chance to put it though it's paces. Seems like a solid value on the used market. Thanks.

There are tons of fans of the clean tones on the Archon, and they’re pretty popular in Nashville with session folks, from what I hear. I’m more of a low gain player myself, but gravitated to the DG Custom and the HXDA, single channel, lower gain amps.

There are tons of fans of the clean tones on the Archon, and they’re pretty popular in Nashville with session folks, from what I hear. I’m more of a low gain player myself, but gravitated to the DG Custom and the HXDA, single channel, lower gain amps.

The HXDA always interested me but my concern was the volume levels needed to get the good sounds. I swear I can play louder at home than anywhere else.

The HXDA always interested me but my concern was the volume levels needed to get the good sounds. I swear I can play louder at home than anywhere else.

There’s a 30 Watt version of the HXDA. I have one. It’s not that loud.

I had a 50 Watt that was significantly louder. The 50 is one of those amps that have that wonderful “almost out of control” thing happening, and the 30 is more polite, but the tone is pretty much the same.

I always liked this video that Aristotle posted quite a while back. Shows that the Archon isn't a one trick pony. Plus, it sounds great at low volumes. But, if you're not going past AC/DC gain, the HXDA would be perfect.

2 of my 6 guitars are single coils. My Fender Stratocaster and Fender Jazzmaster are single coils and yes Jazzmaster pickups are basically single coils lol. I think they both sound amazing and beautiful on the Archon. I can’t imagine a guitar sounding bad on the Archon. I typically either play clean clean on the clean channel and on the lead channel I play with gain around 12 o’clock. The Clean channel is super clean with lots and lots of headroom which I love. On the lead channel with gain set at 12 o’clock it’s pretty balls to the wall which is sweeeeeet.

Tomorrow (Monday) or Tuesday I’ll mess with my single coil guitars and I’ll try running the Archon on lower gain and report back. I own the Archon 100.

Love the Archon :) and only regret I have is, I waited as long as I did till I bought one.

Thanks for all the input. One of the things that I like about the Archon is the potential to play with more gain when I get the urge. Every once in a while I like to get my Slayer on. That's not my normal thing but it could happen.

Thanks for all the input. One of the things that I like about the Archon is the potential to play with more gain when I get the urge. Every once in a while I like to get my Slayer on. That's not my normal thing but it could happen.
Hey, this is not something you can mess around with. If you're going to do it, go balz to the walz. Get your Megadeth on.

Back