Archon vs. Shiva 20th

I breezed through high school, far more concerned with girls and basketball than with class. But I took all the college prep classes and with little effort, got all As and Bs, which I was fine with.

That’s until Trigonometry my Senior year. Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra II, Calculus, Statistics, no problem. Then came Trig. It just didn’t register with me, and I waited a little too long to get concerned about it. I got my first D ever and thought I was in big trouble with my parents. (The threat was actually that if I even got a C I would have my car taken away!). I managed to pull a B every 6 weeks after that, but a final grade of C for the course. My first ever and costed me magnum come loudly or something like that.

Seriously, it was the first time I ever struggled with the advanced math, and after loving all the others, I resented the whole concept of it afterwards.

That was calc and physics for me in college. It didn’t help that my first calc teacher was 184 years old and not all that with it. He couldn’t or wouldn’t explain things, he just read them out of the book. So many people in my class were sitting in on the other calc teacher’s class at the same time that the administration stopped anyone doing it. And I tried to help one of my friends who was taking calc in high school, and it was being taught so differently that I couldn’t help at all. Which sucked for me because math was always my thing.

I breezed through high school, far more concerned with girls and basketball than with class. But I took all the college prep classes and with little effort, got all As and Bs, which I was fine with.

That’s until Trigonometry my Senior year. Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra II, Calculus, Statistics, no problem. Then came Trig. It just didn’t register with me, and I waited a little too long to get concerned about it. I got my first D ever and thought I was in big trouble with my parents. (The threat was actually that if I even got a C I would have my car taken away!). I managed to pull a B every 6 weeks after that, but a final grade of C for the course. My first ever and costed me magnum come loudly or something like that.

Seriously, it was the first time I ever struggled with the advanced math, and after loving all the others, I resented the whole concept of it afterwards.
I didn’t take any math classes in my last year of high school. I got permission to write all the exams the prior year - I wrote 5 exams in one day. It gave me room in my schedule for the last year to do more interesting things.

I didn’t take any math classes in my last year of high school. I got permission to write all the exams the prior year - I wrote 5 exams in one day. It gave me room in my schedule for the last year to do more interesting things.

I tried to cruise Sr year. But you know how it is... "you need to take this and this if you're going to college." Like most adults, if I had to do it over again I'd do some things differently. Actually, a whole lot of things. :)

Wait, I wasn't your calc teacher.

You're far more alert than he was. True story - he was writing on the board one day and someone in the class threw a piece of paper at him that hit the board beside his head. He turned around and angrily said, "Who threw that?" The kid that threw it put his hand up and said, "It came from outside, sir." He looked at the window, paused for a second and said, "Oh. Okay then." And went back to what he was writing.

All the windows were closed. There was no one outside because it was cold and there was a bunch of snow on the ground.

The guy really should not have been teaching.

I tried to cruise Sr year. But you know how it is... "you need to take this and this if you're going to college." Like most adults, if I had to do it over again I'd do some things differently. Actually, a whole lot of things. :)
I still took 7 classes in my last year, writing the math exams early just gave me extra upper level credits: 4 mathes, 4 languages, a couple sciences, music. So I had credentials to go into any program I wanted. I decided it would be fun to join the circus.

Bump..

So I love my Mesa Mark V, modified (BFG) Mesa Dual Rec and KT88 Bogner Shiva
That said, I am seriously looking at the PRS Archon as my next amp, maybe late this year. Either that or maybe a Marshall. A friend got a DSL and I'm actually impressed. Maybe the Satriani amp. I'd look at others like Friedman and Suhr but they are rather exensive.

Question - you guys have trouble dialing out fizz on the Archon? I saw some reviews, onby thr Bearded Guy on YouTube stating the Archon had some ammoying fizz!?

Thanks!

Bump..

So I love my Mesa Mark V, modified (BFG) Mesa Dual Rec and KT88 Bogner Shiva
That said, I am seriously looking at the PRS Archon as my next amp, maybe late this year. Either that or maybe a Marshall. A friend got a DSL and I'm actually impressed. Maybe the Satriani amp. I'd look at others like Friedman and Suhr but they are rather exensive.

Question - you guys have trouble dialing out fizz on the Archon? I saw some reviews, onby thr Bearded Guy on YouTube stating the Archon had some ammoying fizz!?

Thanks!

People complain about the Mark V having fizz, too, and you know that isn't true ( had a Mark V myself at one point).

Fact is, any time you use more preamp than power tubes to generation distortion in a way that isn't balanced, you're going to hear fizz, because that's what 12 AX7, AT7 or AY7 preamp tubes driven into distortion want to do!

If you try any of a number of hardware grit boxes made for the studio that depend solely on the 12AX7, drive the tube hard and it will fizz as well.

Don't buy into the bullcrap that people put on YouTube. Some of them have no idea what they're talking about. It truly amazes me what kind of BS is repeated on YouTube, and even worse, that people tend to buy into it without experiencing an amp for themselves.

It's all about setting up the amp for its own capabilities, not using some kind of "this is what I always do" sort of thing. Every cab sounds different, every room sounds different, every amp sounds different, and every tube and guitar sounds different. And they feel different, too.

Judge for yourself. I'll bet dollars to donuts that you know your stuff, and know what you'll like.

Back