Archon vs. Shiva 20th

Great post, Elvis! It's always interesting to compare two excellent amps. Sometimes I feel that, at least with my amps, it shouldn't be a contest to see which is best, it's more of a "They're different and should be different, and why not appreciate both of them" kind of thing.

Of course, I seldom follow my own advice, and sometimes find myself shooting them out anyway. Human nature, I guess. :p

I think the thing about gear is that we tend to want to see what will knock something else off the top of the pile, when really it's not a pyramid. It's more of a "Should we vacation in the South of France or the Italian Riviera" kind of thing.

I'll take 'South of France' because, Nice and Cannes.

Wait, I'll take Italy because...

OK, gimme both. ;)

Sometimes I feel that, at least with my amps, it shouldn't be a contest to see which is best, it's more of a "They're different and should be different, and why not appreciate both of them" kind of thing.

Exactly! Find amps that are great at what they do, and what they do is things you love, and then do what they do with them. Comparing them, for me, is only for reference sake. Only to reference A does this better but B does this better. Or maybe “I prefer the clean channel of amp A over amp B even though one is a mid gain and one a high gain amp and I’m usually on the gain channel of each.

Now, if I find something better at what I have, then one will go by-by. That’s why the Mark V and other Mesa’s are all gone since I got the Archon and the Bogner. A bigger tube version of the ATMA would be of interest, or, a Splawn which has Plexi, high gain Plexi, JCM, and high gain JCM tones... so along the lines of the Bogner. I still think the right Splawn might be the last amp I’d need.

But, that new CAZ sure sounds like an incredible amp...

That’s why the Mark V and other Mesa’s are all gone since I got the Archon and the Bogner.

I liked my Mark V. Only sold it because I needed the dough for an HVAC fix in my studio.

I never used Channel 3, however, and mostly stayed on Channel 1, which was modeled after the Lone Star's clean channel. So when it came time to get another Mesa (there are indeed times I need that Mesa sound), I simply got the Lone Star instead of the Mk. V.

I also have a Fillmore 50 that I use with a California Tweed cabinet. Nice combination.

The HXDA and DG30 are still kings of the studio, though.

I liked my Mark V. Only sold it because I needed the dough for an HVAC fix in my studio.

I never used Channel 3, however, and mostly stayed on Channel 1, which was modeled after the Lone Star's clean channel. So when it came time to get another Mesa (there are indeed times I need that Mesa sound), I simply got the Lone Star instead of the Mk. V.

I also have a Fillmore 50 that I use with a California Tweed cabinet. Nice combination.

The HXDA and DG30 are still kings of the studio, though.

the idea les would ever be short on cash made me smile.

Great post, Elvis! It's always interesting to compare two excellent amps. Sometimes I feel that, at least with my amps, it shouldn't be a contest to see which is best, it's more of a "They're different and should be different, and why not appreciate both of them" kind of thing.

Of course, I seldom follow my own advice, and sometimes find myself shooting them out anyway. Human nature, I guess. :p

I think the thing about gear is that we tend to want to see what will knock something else off the top of the pile, when really it's not a pyramid. It's more of a "Should we vacation in the South of France or the Italian Riviera" kind of thing.

I'll take 'South of France' because, Nice and Cannes.

Wait, I'll take Italy because...

OK, gimme both. ;)

Thanks Les!

Your points are well taken. The reason I shoot out amps is that I tend to buy a couple that are similar with the plan that I will choose the one I like better and flip the other. The endless tone chasing never gets old :)

When I get different amps for different tones I don't shoot them out. Though this makes me think I ought to do a video of why my different amps are complementary.

the idea les would ever be short on cash made me smile.

Haha!

It's good to have an emergency every so often. Keeps a person humble.

"Les, you are not a humble person."

"True. But I ought to be, since I'm just some dude."

"So if you know that, why are you so obnoxious?"

"I blame you."

"How convenient. Since I'm...you know... you." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Another fun shootout. I tried to get these two amps as close as possible. Their inherent character makes them different. I wouldn’t use them to do the same thing, but I always wonder if my amps are close enough to be redundant.

Man, what a great post and demo! Nice playing, too.

Both amps sound really, really good. And while they sound similar, they each have a personality. They also sound cool played together - I like the way you've layered them. It lends a richness to the tunes. I'd have a very hard time choosing between these two amps. I might like the slightly fatter sound of the Bogner a tiny bit more, but that's probably just down to the way the tone controls are set.

Again, thanks for taking the time to do this!

PS - nothing wrong with having both!

Another fun shootout. I tried to get these two amps as close as possible. Their inherent character makes them different. I wouldn’t use them to do the same thing, but I always wonder if my amps are close enough to be redundant.

Thanks for refueling my Soldano GAS :mad:

Great demo, and playing!

He did a great job with this demo. And you know, his rhythm is impeccable. Totally in the pocket, which I think isn't all that easy to accomplish.

It’s part of what made the demo even more enjoyable. Great feeling in his playing.

Thanks guys, super kind comments! I love having the ability to play this wonderful gear.

It's funny you mention timing, Les, because my latest teacher was all over me for it. My timing had slipped substantially and he had a metronome welded to my forehead for more than a year. It's nice to see a plan come together.

Thanks guys, super kind comments! I love having the ability to play this wonderful gear.

It's funny you mention timing, Les, because my latest teacher was all over me for it. My timing had slipped substantially and he had a metronome welded to my forehead for more than a year. It's nice to see a plan come together.

Like I said, right in the groove!

I think about timing a lot when I'm working.

Back