Archon vs. Shiva 20th

elvis

Hamfisted String Banger
I have been looking for a backup amp for a while. I was going to get another Archon (LOVIN' me my Archon 100), but a thread a while back made me really want a different amp, rather than another of the same.

I looked into other PRS amps, but I really wanted something with the character and gain of an Archon. I almost picked up a 2-Channel H, and may still get a 6L6 2-Channel Custom.

To be clear, the things I love about the Archon are the very clean channel 1 and the aggressive bite with big, tight lows and controlled highs of channel 2. The Depth control is INCREDIBLY USEFUL.

But I got a screamin' deal on a Shiva 20th KT88. NOTE: a new Shiva 20th is 50% more expensive than an Archon! The Archon is a lot more amp for the money.

I found that with the bright and mode switched on, the two amps are fairly comparable. Similar gain, similar functions. Similar aggressive toothy mid sat character, though the Shiva has a bit higher mid peak, kind of in between the Archon and a DSL. The Archon has a very nice top-end roll off that keeps it from getting ice-picky. The Shiva can be overly bright, but tameable. The Shiva has a spring Reverb, but I HATE spring reverb. So that is not a feature for me.

The KT88 has more lows and headroom than my EL34 Shiva, and it is stiffer, so its clean channel holds up nicely, but still not as clean as the Archon. It's lively, though. The 20th also has an "Excursion" knob that is like a depth knob, except it doesn't work as well as the Archon's depth knob, and it's on the back of the amp. You can get some big lows from the 20th, but the Archon has bigger, tighter lows that just thump their way into my shriveled, blackened heart...

The Archon is smaller, a Godsend for gigging, and sits nicely on a vertical 2x12 cab. The Shiva is too wide and seems awfully heavy, though the specs show similar weights.

On the plus side, with the mode switch off, the Shiva sounds more like the non-20th, so it has a Marshally-classic rock lower-gain-less-aggressive tone. Also, it cleans up really well when you roll back on the guitar volume.

Overall, I can love both. I still kind of wish I'd gotten another Archon as a backup for portability. But at the same time, different is good too. Both are super fun!

EDIT: I have been putting more time into the Shiva 20th. It is fun, but I am finding that it either gets the grind and has too much highs or it gets a bit tame. It also seems less consistent to my ears than the Archon. With the Archon, I run it day after day and it is always exactly as I remember it. I never touch the knobs. With the Shiva, I turn knobs every time I turn it on. Partly that is because I just got it, but it is a bit bright for me. I do like how it works with my 7-string. It has tons more lows than the EL34 version, but they are loose as compared to the Archon, so they tend toward muddiness.

I will likely build a "B" rig out of it and add some EQ in the loop, but I doubt that it will make it to the "A" rig except in the case of emergency (I lost a preamp tube in the Archon just before my last gig. Easy enough to find and replace, but it's just a matter of time before it is dead on stage). ALWAYS bring a spare.

I doubt many people out front could tell the difference between the two amps, but from behind the guitar, they have the same basic personality, but quite different dispositions. I guess that is what I had hoped for, so it works for me.

Last edited:
You haven't gotten one yet?!? Incredible amp. I gigged outdoors with it for the first time last weekend and it SMOKED (in a good way). Just unbelievable tone and tons of headroom. I ran it into 2 vertical recto cabs and I am so happy with how much fun it was to play through. I haven't been this happy with an amp since the Electradyne. If the Archon had a third channel like the Dyne vintage LO, it would KILL amps like the Ecstasy and Mark V. Well, more so than it does already. Maybe combine in a HX/DA channel...

No, I have had two vacations in the last 5 weeks, prior to which I accidentally bought a Vox AC30hw2x (long story). I'll have one soon.

Thanks for the comparison. I've only played the very original shiva. I've always wanted try the very last EL-34 revision and the 20th.

You're welcome! I have the last EL34 revision, and it is everything that they say it is. But for me it has too little gain and too little lows. I compensated by playing through an open-back cab, but that gives up the thump. I got it originally because Justin Derrico plays them and I love his tone, but clearly he has more going on than just the amp.

The 20th intrigued me because it has been reviewed several times as a more modern tone with a lot more gain. It definitely is that. I like it a LOT more, and my EL34 Shiva is up for sale.

I added a bit more commentary in the original post if you're interested.

Back on the Archon today. OMG!! Love that amp. Even more after spending time with the Shiva. It's decidedly more nasal, but that works well in the band mix. And the lows are devastating. So big and tight.

I love both my Archon 100 and Shiva 20th KT88.

The tweaking and adjusting is fun on my Shiva and I get more unique tones that way, but I also like the simplicity and great high gain tone from my Archon.

I just want to throw this out there in case anyone is considering a backup amp or rig, buy something different from what you already have! I almost bought a second Archon and I'm glad I didn't, and not because the Archon isn't great, but variety is the spice of life.

I agree! The Shiva 20 is a great amp on its own, and can also be a fantastic backup for the Archon. What I'm finding now is that there are bits of the tone from each that I prefer, so I am tweaking each toward the best combination of both. Neither will quite get there, as they have slightly different characters, but they are both worth having. It's great to switch back and forth. Seems like each time I switch, both amps sound better than I remember.

Just sold my original Shiva, as the 20th is much more my cup of tea.

They look great stacked together as well. :cool:

5UY6OkI.jpg

The only thing I changed with my Shiva 20th was that it came with a large 3 button pedal, including a switch for the reverb that wasn't on the amp I purchased (didn't want the reverb). So I ended up getting a nice compact two button switcher from Switch Doctor. After just checking, it appears their website is down for the version I bought which is called Black Magic.

mcJiFLx.jpg

sure looks good now. you should see my music room. You can barely walk in there. :eek: (I LOVE that place though!)

Finally borrowed a friend's Archon 100 and while I love it, it couldn't knock off my number one Mark V. The Mark V is just my all time favorite amp. It does anything I could want and just kills it at jams and rehearsal. Personal preference.
My BFG modified Dual Rectifier sounds bigger and meaner than the Arxhon, which is another reason I guess I am keeping what I have.
My other amp is a 20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva. It's a dark amp for sure, which not everyone likes. With a boost like the Friedman Buxom, it gets into Archon territory.

Back