Archon Tube Issue?

nosidamde

Taco Flavored Kisses
Hello everyone. I fired up my Archon this evening and noticed something was not right. I'm getting this noise from the amp when switched on.

This noise is also present as the guitar signal seems to drop out, still only on the distortion channel.

This is what I've done thus far. 1. switched out my chord from the Archon to my pedal board 2. cut the wireless unit out of my signal chain 3. ran directly into the Archon from the guitar 4. tried another guitar 5. I've switched ohms on the cabinet/head

I still have my old SpiderValve MK100II head and I'm NOT getting the same noise and it isn't cutting out. I have a sad feeling it is the Archon, before I called tomorrow to start the warranty process, I was hoping someone else had an idea that could help? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone. I fired up my Archon this evening and noticed something was not right. I'm getting this noise from the amp when switched on.

This noise is also present as the guitar signal seems to drop out, still only on the distortion channel.

This is what I've done thus far. 1. switched out my chord from the Archon to my pedal board 2. cut the wireless unit out of my signal chain 3. ran directly into the Archon from the guitar 4. tried another guitar 5. I've switched ohms on the cabinet/head

I still have my old SpiderValve MK100II head and I'm NOT getting the same noise and it isn't cutting out. I have a sad feeling it is the Archon, before I called tomorrow to start the warranty process, I was hoping someone else had an idea that could help? Thanks in advance.

Could very well be a tube ,,also could be dirty jack in put and loop but when I hear volume cutting in and out I think tubes .If you say on dirty only replace the ax7 in the dirt V1 V2 ..if it was the PI or power tube it should affect the clean as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it do this every time you turn it on/off? Could be a tube or maybe a cap going bad. Best to have them check it out if a pre tube swap doesn't solve it.

I had this very same issue with my First Archon amp (Mid June 2014). I would get the very same static noise on the lead channel only, I sent mine back and got a replacement. If your's is still under warranty I would send or take it back to the dealer. No use in trying to fix it if it is still under warranty. Note, I also sent my replacement Archon back because there was IMHO way too much noise thru the effects loop. PRS told me that the noise I was hearing was acceptable to their ears. As much as I loved the amp, I sent them back as I just had an uneasy feeling about the true reliability. They fact that I'm hearing the very same static noise on yours compared to mine helps confirm my own suspicion. Seriously take it back for an exchange if you have a warranty.

Update: I've contacted Matt at PRS who is doing a good job of getting my problem sorted out. I'm going to send it in to them and have it back within a couple weeks. They think it's a "cap", as VCHIZZLE suspected it might be.

So it sounds like I'm going back to the SpiderValve HD100 MKII for my gig tomorrow night and practice for the next couple weeks. :(

Back