Archon preamp tube layout chart?

To shimmilou's point, the soft clip of tubes vs. the hard clip of solid state is part of the headroom. Output power is generally specified at a given distortion level (usually 1% THD).

SS power amps distort when they hit the power rails. So they go from 1% THD to infinite THD right at the rail. This produces harmonic content with no appreciable increase in power.

By comparison, tubes distort well below the plate voltage. They continue to further distort as the signal is increased, while producing additional power, until they hit the rail.

In short, SS amps are X Watts at 1% THD and X Watts at 100% THD. Tube amps tend to be X Watts at 1% THD and X+Y Watts at 100% THD.

I strongly believe that this is where the concept of "Tube Watts" comes from.

However, this would not directly support the case of altering preamp tubes for headroom purposes. Though it can probably be done.

Also, if you want to simulate circuits, LTSpice is fantastic and FREE. There is also a basic tube symbol and model, though a custom model for a given tube would be helpful.

Hi guys! I dont know where to post or ask about 100 watt archon’s gain and im pretty sure you all will find my question real stupid but im not a guitarist but i have a prs archon and a MIA tele with bkp warpig. The thing is i just dont thing my archon is heavy enough gain wise.i have seen the youtube videos,some just recorded with some kind of audio interface and some with just cell phone or video recording device. They all sound heavy and i have kept the knobs just the way they are in youtube clips but it just doesn’t sound heavy even after having the gain knob past 1. Btw I have the channel volume around 9-10 o clock and i use a bogner 412 uberkab with v30

archon.jpg
clip_image001.jpg

Hi guys! I dont know where to post or ask about 100 watt archon’s gain and im pretty sure you all will find my question real stupid but im not a guitarist but i have a prs archon and a MIA tele with bkp warpig. The thing is i just dont thing my archon is heavy enough gain wise.i have seen the youtube videos,some just recorded with some kind of audio interface and some with just cell phone or video recording device. They all sound heavy and i have kept the knobs just the way they are in youtube clips but it just doesn’t sound heavy even after having the gain knob past 1. Btw I have the channel volume around 9-10 o clock and i use a bogner 412 uberkab with v30

Heavy can mean a lot of things. Are you looking for more low end thundering heavy, more punchy palm mute chug heavy, more aggressive midrange harmonics heavy, or more mushy lots of sustain and feedback but no clarity heavy?

Share a vid you like.

Post a vid or audio clip of what you are getting.

Look here http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/how-to-get-aggressive-with-an-archon.29526/

How did you get a humbucker into a tele?

Heavy can mean a lot of things. Are you looking for more low end thundering heavy, more punchy palm mute chug heavy, more aggressive midrange harmonics heavy, or more mushy lots of sustain and feedback but no clarity heavy?

Share a vid you like.

Post a vid or audio clip of what you are getting.

Look here http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/how-to-get-aggressive-with-an-archon.29526/

How did you get a humbucker into a tele?
First of all thank you the link. I guess the link you provide will help me get where i want to be sound wise. What i am looking for is something between more punchy palm mute chug heavy and midrange harmonics heavy. Im not a guitar player but I love guitars, amps and pedals and im really drawn towards high gain sound. Something thats really huge mean sounding and grinding while palm muting but without scooping the mid.I have a shawbucker tele but ended up swapping the bridge shawbucker with bkp warpig. I hope whatever i’m sayin makes sense i just got really curious and watched the clip for few seconds. Right now im at work. I’ll watch the link later on after i return home.
Thanks for your input :):)

The amp can only get you so far. The rest is technique. A lot of sounds that seem to be high gain are lower gain, lots of volume and good technique.

Anyway, the settings in the video may help. Hopefully your guitar pickup is wired correctly.

The amp can only get you so far. The rest is technique. A lot of sounds that seem to be high gain are lower gain, lots of volume and good technique.

Anyway, the settings in the video may help. Hopefully your guitar pickup is wired correctly.
Actually the video did help alot. It sounds nice but yes i never crank the amp it already too loud even when its at 9 o clock. And about the guitar pickup i did talk with the guys froms bkp before ordering and i went o guitar center to swap the pickup so I guess the guitar is wired correctly. Anyway thanks for the info and Eq did help alot.

Back