Archon popping loudly

rgerry

Whats up everyone!

I just recently purchased a used 100 watt Archon that sat in a studio its whole (made in 2015) and did not get used very often. Everything works as it should and the amp itself sounds amazing. However, when I use the footswitch, I get loud popping changing channels and a really loud pop/thump when I turn on the FX loop. I've looked through all the threads and cannot seem to find anything that addresses this specific issue. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a fix for this? Unfortunately, the amp is going to be useless as I switch channels often and I am constantly running FX. Any help would be appreciated.

I’d give PRS Customer Service a call.

I’d wonder if it makes that noise only with footswitch, or if it also makes the noise using the switches on the amp? With an amp that sat around for a few years rarely used, it could be something as simple as a little corrosion on a switch or jack related to the footswitch that can be taken care of with contact cleaner.

LSchefman, I have an email out to the now and waiting on an answer. I did not notice popping switching the channels on the front panel without the footswitch but, I dont believe there is a way to turn the fx loop off and on manually. I could be mistaken. I was able to minimize the popping while switching between channels by cycling the footswitch while in bypass but, switching to the fx loop is horribly loud and the thump is pretty substantial. I hope there is a fix to this as I would love to use the amp live but, if there is not, it will be a studio amp.

LSchefman, I have an email out to the now and waiting on an answer. I did not notice popping switching the channels on the front panel without the footswitch but, I dont believe there is a way to turn the fx loop off and on manually. I could be mistaken. I was able to minimize the popping while switching between channels by cycling the footswitch while in bypass but, switching to the fx loop is horribly loud and the thump is pretty substantial. I hope there is a fix to this as I would love to use the amp live but, if there is not, it will be a studio amp.

You’ll get a faster response with a phone call than with an email, FWIW.

I really wouldn’t be surprised if all you have to do is have the footswitch fixed, or the contacts simply need cleaning, but what the heck do I know? I’m no amp tech.

footswitches are the most common thing to fail or have issues on any of this stuff. Even very good pedal makers will have problems with footswitches on brand new pedals sometimes. Try multiple fast on/off" stomps on the switch. Sometimes, if they are just not switching quickly enough, lack of use can be bad for them and just USING them makes them fine. Sometimes this does "clean" them a little and they work better. Try that while you wait for CS to get in touch with you.

Back