Archon - New Version

Same, especially since they didn't try adding any nice QOL additives like MIDI, record out, IR loader, built in gate, among a variety of other cool things that sets newer tube amps apart as far as I care, in these days. I can't say I'm expecting that much all at once from an import line, not that it's impossible. But if other folks like Revv, MESA, Driftwood Dankest Nightmare, Laney, among others can, then I don't see why PRS can't at least try throwing any of that around somehow and somewhere in their lineup. Especially with the prices the 100w US heads were starting to ask for right before production ceased.

You know, I get that logic, and have even considered some of the amps with those features. But, at the same time, there's still room in the market for amps that devote their full production budget 100% to build quality and signal path, rather than making compromises in order to get extra tech inside and still hit a reasonable price point. Again, don't get me wrong, having those extras would be a fantastic convenience in some situations, it's just not part of the PRS amp philosophy (for now).

Is it still considered to be a "hand wired" amp? In other words, is it still 100% point to point wiring with no printed circuit boards (so that it can be repaired easily.

That’s exactly where my concern is. I can understand the reasons why the v.2 being made overseas, but I need clarification on how they’re made (handwired vs. PCB) because this is the main reason why I bought my USA version.

I also wonder the new one not having Standby position on power switch while most of famous tube amplifiers have. Lacking this it looks like a cheap solid-state amplifiers. Does this mean anything technically? o_O

You know, I get that logic, and have even considered some of the amps with those features. But, at the same time, there's still room in the market for amps that devote their full production budget 100% to build quality and signal path, rather than making compromises in order to get extra tech inside and still hit a reasonable price point. Again, don't get me wrong, having those extras would be a fantastic convenience in some situations, it's just not part of the PRS amp philosophy (for now).

And that's deviating from what I was saying. Basically as another person who already has an older Archon, there's no real reason for me to just bite into the current reissue. Besides, there's no reason for them to just skip out on developing stuff that even covers both having extra tech and not half-baking it as far as quality goes. That is, if they actually step up to the plate and at least try delving into that to being with.

Last edited:
But honestly, the terms Made in Indonesia troubles be a lot

Why should it? This reissue can be more accessible to people who want a good sounding amp with no bull and no runaway inflated price tags.

Does it really worth sellling my US-made Archon for the new Indonesian one? I'm not sure and I need a very long time to make decision...

No because it's just the same thing but with a few cost cutting measures.

I’ll be interested to hear one in person. Haven’t watched all the videos yet but curious what other changes than the obvious there are. We’ll see how common they are in stores and how accessible they become. I’ve rarely seen Mt-15’s anywhere and you’d think they’d be readily available at the price point and an easy sell for what they are. Hopefully manufacturing/availability is better.

I'm a little Meh at the non-US-manufactured bit.

Yeah, price is "appropriate" for the source, I suppose.

But I really like my US-made PRS amps, I even avoid the import cabs due to the woods/plywoods used.

I'll stick with my 100W head + 2x12 cab and 25W combo I guess.

My Archon says “assembled in the USA” on the back. I always assumed this meant most of it was made overseas and final assembly was in the US.

I checked the PRS website and I'm happy that at least the tubes are JJ's.

I bought an H & K Tubemeister a few years ago, and it came with junk tubes, one of which failed in the first month, so I re-tubed it. Same thing with my Egnater Renegade. Both amps have been fine ever since, but this practice irks me!

Another fact about the Egnater-parts made in the USA, sent overseas for assembly, then shipped back here. I understand trying to "save a few $$$" but dammit I'm sick of this kind of crap!

I was hoping for a 3 channel version of this amp. Will have to take a closer listen when they show up in stores, regardless.

Why should it? This reissue can be more accessible to people who want a good sounding amp with no bull and no runaway inflated price tag.
What I meant was differences in building method; handwired/PCB, non-Standby, no power reduction, etc. Obviously the v.2 is not carrying-over of the predecessor to new plant, it’s something different.

Cost cutting is good for drawing more new customers. But for current owners like me, Indonesian-made implies that I have to look more carefully as there might be something important changed inside.

BTW, the new one is still in my radar. Just need more info about it before taking any further action.

No because it's just the same thing but with a few cost cutting measures.
We already know it isn't "the same thing" - the tubes are different at the very least.

If it is PCB vs handwired, that would be a huge difference.

If it uses different components (handwired or not), like transformers, then it could be a huge difference.

Having the same name doesn't make it the same. Is an Indonesian CU24 the same as a US-built CU24? Same name...

My Archon says “assembled in the USA” on the back. I always assumed this meant most of it was made overseas and final assembly was in the US.
Components like resistors, capacitors, etc are undoubtedly of overseas origin.

There are perfectly good components made overseas, and completely crap ones too - PRS spends a lot of time selecting the right components from what I gather, but the target price point of the final product will play into that selection process.

But the handwiring of those parts in the assembly is what is often most important in the amp world.

I haven't opened up either of my Archons, but it wouldn't surprise me to find some of the larger "importanter" components actually manufactured in the US, like maybe the transformers.

Second Generation PRS Archon Quiz:

The reason why Paul Reed Smith installed 6CA7 tubes into this amp was...
a.) He really liked the tone.
b.) He just wanted to stop people from fiddling with the amp and just leave the stock tubes in there.
c) He's the only one in the world buying 6CA7 tubes and he can get them at a really good price (and maybe he's also got an exclusive arrangement to be the only one who can buy them).
d.) All of the above.

Second Generation PRS Archon Quiz:

The reason why Paul Reed Smith installed 6CA7 tubes into this amp was...
a.) He really liked the tone.
b.) He just wanted to stop people from fiddling with the amp and just leave the stock tubes in there.
c) He's the only one in the world buying 6CA7 tubes and he can get them at a really good price (and maybe he's also got an exclusive arrangement to be the only one who can buy them).
d.) All of the above.

e.) He sold every 6L6 metal amp that the market will take, time to move on.

Back