Archon - New Version

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
It seems the mystery of the disappearance of the Archon from the catalog has been solved. It's been replaced by a new version of the Archon.

https://prsguitars.com/products/archon

Sounds like a wider range of gain. Looks like a 50W max. Head and combo versions, plus 1x12 and 2x12 Archon cabs.

And it's a couple bucks cheaper.

tenor.gif

41fa8978c7899003eae8e29a86b25307_w200.gif

tenor.gif

Doesn’t look as cool though. I suppose it helps only having to make one chassis for heads and combos though...

Made in Indonesia, interesting. I don’t have a problem with that, but it makes me wonder what the amp team is up to, hopefully some new Maryland made amps are coming too.

The MT15 was really close to perfection, if they cleaned up those issues it had with this amp, it should be a home run.

I'm a little Meh at the non-US-manufactured bit.

Yeah, price is "appropriate" for the source, I suppose.

But I really like my US-made PRS amps, I even avoid the import cabs due to the woods/plywoods used.

I'll stick with my 100W head + 2x12 cab and 25W combo I guess.

As soon I saw the the price drop, I knew it was a Asian amp.
So glad I never sold my Amerikan Archon amp.

Loving my original 50 combo and excited at first moment that I knew this v.2. But honestly, the terms Made in Indonesia troubles be a lot as having seen so many issues with Indonesean-made SE guitars. Does it really worth sellling my US-made Archon for the new Indonesian one? I'm not sure and I need a very long time to make decision...

This sounds great! But it doesn't really sound like the original Archon to me. I feel like they should have gone with it being a new model.

Just saw this today on the PRS web site and I can't wait to geek out studying all the specs and differences.
So far I noticed the new control layout is on the top instead of the bottom and most of the knobs are in different places.
My initial questions about the new version of the Archon that I'll be searching for answers to are these....

The new Archon (50w) has 5 gain stages, so how many gain stages did the original Archon have?
Where is it made? (Indonesia is still WAY better than China).
Is it still considered to be a "hand wired" amp? In other words, is it still 100% point to point wiring with no printed circuit boards (so that it can be repaired easily).
The new version looks like it has different tubes... is this true and if so WHY?
Has the transformer changed? If so, how?
Does the new Archon 50 bear any resemblance to the Blistertone?

I'll hang on to my USA made Archon

Same, especially since they didn't try adding any nice QOL additives like MIDI, record out, IR loader, built in gate, among a variety of other cool things that sets newer tube amps apart as far as I care, in these days. I can't say I'm expecting that much all at once from an import line, not that it's impossible. But if other folks like Revv, MESA, Driftwood Dankest Nightmare, Laney, among others can, then I don't see why PRS can't at least try throwing any of that around somehow and somewhere in their lineup. Especially with the prices the 100w US heads were starting to ask for right before production ceased.

Back