Archon - New Version

Just saw this today on the PRS web site and I can't wait to geek out studying all the specs and differences.
So far I noticed the new control layout is on the top instead of the bottom and most of the knobs are in different places.
My initial questions about the new version of the Archon that I'll be searching for answers to are these....

The new Archon (50w) has 5 gain stages, so how many gain stages did the original Archon have?
Where is it made? (Indonesia is still WAY better than China).
Is it still considered to be a "hand wired" amp? In other words, is it still 100% point to point wiring with no printed circuit boards (so that it can be repaired easily).
The new version looks like it has different tubes... is this true and if so WHY?
Has the transformer changed? If so, how?
Does the new Archon 50 bear any resemblance to the Blistertone?
Great questions all! Wish I had some gut shot photos loaded some where to a hosting site to post of my real Archon 50. Will bet this new one is PCB and much more like my MT 15 internally than my Archon is.
To answer one question yes both amps run 6 preamp tubes 4 true preamp stages the V5 loop driver and the V6 PI. The Archon and MT both have the same basic preamp design with the same tube function slots. Know this because I own both.

Hi there, I'm new to the forum. Was wondering whether there is any update on the made-in-USA vs. Indonesian Archon comparison. I am literally craving for the 50 watt head, and just realized that there is one local dealer here in Spain with probably one of the last USA version for sale, in brand new conditions. Construction year should be 2015 and comes with 6L6 power tubes.They sell it for about 1,650 USD (1,450 euros), which as far as I am concerned it's not bad at all. You know that the newer Archon is about 550 $ cheaper, so I was wondering whether I should go for the made in USA or Indonesian one. I spent a few hours watching youtube demos on the newer Archon and honestly I really liked it. Still, I'd be willing to spend more money if it's worth. I am particularly concerned about build quality, components (especially the transformers), and of course the sound & voicing. Did anyone have the chance to directly compare them? I mean in terms of sound and construction. Thank you.

Hi there, I'm new to the forum. Was wondering whether there is any update on the made-in-USA vs. Indonesian Archon comparison. I am literally craving for the 50 watt head, and just realized that there is one local dealer here in Spain with probably one of the last USA version for sale, in brand new conditions. Construction year should be 2015 and comes with 6L6 power tubes.They sell it for about 1,650 USD (1,450 euros), which as far as I am concerned it's not bad at all. You know that the newer Archon is about 550 $ cheaper, so I was wondering whether I should go for the made in USA or Indonesian one. I spent a few hours watching youtube demos on the newer Archon and honestly I really liked it. Still, I'd be willing to spend more money if it's worth. I am particularly concerned about build quality, components (especially the transformers), and of course the sound & voicing. Did anyone have the chance to directly compare them? I mean in terms of sound and construction. Thank you.

Always get the US version, if you can.

Back