Archon Loop Mod

It looks like a gain reduction mod, which will definitely reduce hiss. If you want the amp to be even quieter, use a 1W 47K metal film resistor instead of a 1W 47K carbon composition resistor. Not only are metal film resistors tighter tolerance than carbon film, they are also are quieter in operation than carbon film resistors. One can get 1W 47K metal film resistors from Mouser, but shipping costs will make it cheaper to purchase 15 from Amazon.

So just a hum eliminator huh? Been looking around and they're quite cheap in the US if you can find an Ebtech, here in the EU they charge 200-250 eur for a Morley stereo hum eliminator (Ebtech nowhere to be found, sold out), but I think that is a crazy price for such a simple device and saw mixed reviews, some say it works like a charm and others that it does not and it only changes the frequency of the hum. So ... I don't know, will try to find someone who's got one and try it. But I think that my issues are not that severe as yours were. Thanks for sharing.
Yep!
I had friends try the amp but disnt want to use it due to the noise.
I have tons of pedals and some rack units and have quite a few amps Nad hav splayed since 1987.
This is the only amp I've owned that had loop noise with every pedal and every rack unit.
That said, I LOVE the tone and feel of this amp so I was determined to make it work for me. The Ebtech Hum Eliminator unit makes my amp silent.
For me I have it set on top of the amp with my amp return cable entering the unit. From there a small patch cable goes out to the amp return. That's it. Silent!
I'm happy.
My tech said he could also probably fix it internally, but this is so easy, I don't think I need it. Maybe one day.
Works like a charm. Eliminates any noise/hum as advertised.
With my other amps I've never even needed a noise gate, even for super high gain.
I used a noise gate/suppressor years ago but then realized I don't need one. I have high gain amps such as modified Dual Rectifiers, Mark Vs and others and haven't found a noise suppression pedal necessary.

Last edited:
So does this effect the gain at all? I have a 2014 Archon coming in this week in trade. Supposedly does have the loop issue. I am curious to see how my Tannhauser Gate pedal does with it though as it is two gates in one that hits both the front and back of the amp.

I actually have this issue with my post 2014 Archon 50 watt head. It’s the only thing I don’t like about the amp. In fact the signal is so low coming from the effects send that gate pedals or anything with a threshold doesn’t work properly. There isnt enough signal to trigger them. There is tons of hiss too. I just stopped using the loop completely because of it. I have had multiple gates. (sentry, smart gate, REVV g8) and the rest of the pedals in the loop are Strymon and Meris.

I bought the resistor to do this mod. Has anyone’s else done this? How has it worked out for you? It sounds like a ground loop issue. Even with just a patch cable. Either way I’ll be trying the mod out. Would like to hear some more (hopefully success) stories.

I bought the resistor to do this mod. Has anyone’s else done this? How has it worked out for you? It sounds like a ground loop issue. Even with just a patch cable. Either way I’ll be trying the mod out. Would like to hear some more (hopefully success) stories.
Well I didn’t look until now but it looks like mine was made in 2016 making attempting the loop mod redundant.

Back