Archon loop fix mod

Hi there, new to this forum, I just bought a Nice archon 50 combo, second hand, sounds great but the fx loop is unuseable, would you email me the pdf file with the fix, thanks [email protected]
I don’t have the pdf anymore. Email PRS customer service & they’ll email it & send the resistor, I believe.

Hey guys.
I'm getting a 2019 Archon 100. PRS says the loop issues was fixed in 2014 late.
Question I have is, the loop is line level or instrument level?
I had an Egnater and it was a nightmare because it was a line level loop.
All my amps, like my Bogner, Mesa Mark V and so on, are all instrument level loops.
Is the PRS Archon 100 an instrument level loop?
I can't find the specs.
Thanks!

More news on my archon: i exchanged all the old preamp tubes for a new set of JJs, because of V2 making static noises. Turns out the tube for the loop was noisy too. After changing the 4 year old tubes the loop is dead silent. I had problems with the loop making a pop sound when engaging it via the footswitch, which disappeared as well after the tube change.
New tubes will do that! I try to keep my tubes fresh! :)

I just bought a 2019 Archon 100. I love the tones but the loop is not usable. The hum and hiss in the loop is out of control. The guys at rehearsal made me switch back to my Mark V. :(
I'll try effects in front but I need delay in my loop. Any suggestions?
I thought the 2019 and post 2014/15, heads had the loop fix?

I'll read thru this thread.

Mine is 8/19 and the loop is noisy as hell. Hissing and humming and unusable. I emailed PRS.
Sorry, but it's not the loop. The fix was done long before that. There are detailed threads about this on here (and about every other amp made at TGP) because this is an ongoing thing with almost every brand and it is NOT the fault of the amp 90% of the time. And just because it works with one amp, doesn't mean it's the next amps fault if it doesn't work with the next one.

I've detailed my findings here, but in a simple nutshell, every pedal I tried was fine, except one. That pedal I REALLY wanted in the loop but I couldn't make it be quiet. I never tried a hum eliminator, I just finally took it off the board. Noise gone.

Find pedals that work, rearrange your electrical outlets to avoid loops, or get a hum eliminator.

And don't play with any band that makes you choose a Mark V over an Archon! :D:p

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to PRS and they say the loop is instrument level and designed for pedals.
Mine is still noisy even though it's a 2019.
I emailed PRS so we shall see.
No way to use it in stock form, but man I love the tone of this amp!!!
In thr mean time, grabbing an ISP Decimate.

I talked to PRS and they say the loop is instrument level and designed for pedals.
Mine is still noisy even though it's a 2019.
I emailed PRS so we shall see.
No way to use it in stock form, but man I love the tone of this amp!!!
In thr mean time, grabbing an ISP Decimate.
Like DTR says, it's likely not the loop. It's going to be pedals that are at fault. You just need to experiment to find out what will work.

I have had lots of amps and have a slew of pedals. All my other amps are silent. I tried no pedals and different pedals. It's not as bad as I thought when I played earlier. It's actually not bad. Sort of expected with some amps. I will grab an ISP Decimate and call it a day.

Man this amp sounds incredible!!?

many times you can plug the pedal power supply in to a different place and fix the problem.

And, I don't have time to elaborate, but the old "I've played these pedals with many other amps" can be true, but still doesn't place the blame on amps. Pedals are ALL over the place and there is no standard at all for incoming or outgoing impedance. One amp designer said he could make a perfectly fine and quiet loop that would work with "most" pedals, but it would not be tube driven and it would cause some loss of transparency (like the Mark V loop does). Anyway, like I said, go to TGP and there is a thread complaining about the loop of almost every amp made and MOST times, tons of people will reply "I have or had that amp and the loop works great." The difference is the pedals being used, the order they're in, the power supply used, where it's plugged in in relation to where the amp is plugged in, etc. etc... none of which has to do with the design of the loop....

Buy and Ebtech Hum Eliminator and run it with your pedal(s) through the effect loop.
I use one of these too. I think I may have my head plugged into it though. I run 4cm with only my reverbs/delays in the loop+isp decimator. Boosts, dirt, modulation in front. I’ve got around 10 pedals total. It’s pretty dang quiet for all the crap I have.

Tonight I used I used my BFG Dual Rec and Archon at practice. I just love the Archon!
Dual Rec killed too. Loop is silent.
I'm picking up an ISP for the Archon.

So a 5751 helped but then the loop volume dropped too much. That's tough to deal with although I coild just raise the effects levels.
I hear the 5751 helps in the PI too.
Its usable and I may get a smart gate or isp...

I bought my second Archon recently, found a new 100w with the stained maple front at a total steal! It's a 2014, before the mod was implemented, anyone in the forum that could send me the PDF?

Back