Archon - I Finally Played One

jfb

Plank Owner
I came across an Archon here in the local wild. I tried it out through the only cab readily available which was an Orange 2x12. My initial thoughts from playing it through the aforementioned cab, all knobs at noon except for gain, gains were noon to max depending, and masters were never taken above 1.5/2.

It had plenty of gain and retained note definition very well. Chords and tremolo picked stuff sounded great. Really thick and fat. The amp had a light and airy feel on single notes to me. Reminds me a lot of the 100 watt Two Channel H I played some time ago. If I was forced to liken it something I would say Two Channel H meets 5150 III meets Rectifier to my ears/hands. Seriously shined to me on chords with lots of strings ringing and low riffs.

The clean channel was clean as all get out...really. Cleanest sound I have heard from any higher gain amp ever...period.

The feature set didn't leave me wanting or slap me in the face with option paralysis. I also really liked the form factor. Reminds me of a VHT/Fryette with the fascia across the front, but prettier and smaller. The weight was also very reasonable.

On a side note I tried it with a S2 Custom 24. Great guitar. When you consider the price it's an even sweeter deal for sure. Sounded great, played great.

Cool!

Now if they would just make a single channel version of the clean side.....

I was thinking about the music I had listened to today...

I rocked King's X - Gretchen Goes to Nebraska a whole bunch today and I think the Archon could cop those tones. And you know Ty Tabor's tone on that record was freaking insane. Some magic going on in the high mids and highs to me, but keeping some nice clarity on the low end.

I'm very interested in the archon. Good report.

How was the volume at the setting you used ? I play mostly in my basemet and don't want something to loud but damn I love high gain lol

I'm very interested in the archon. Good report.

How was the volume at the setting you used ? I play mostly in my basemet and don't want something to loud but damn I love high gain lol

Reasonable home volumes were very satisfying. This amp should cover you in that regard. I had the gain around 7-9 at lower volumes. This went down to 5-7 as the volume went up. Plenty of gain on tap. Highly recommend checking one out if you are after a PRS amp. The light and airy sound to single notes beefed up a bit as the volume increased which I liked. The amp lacks the fizzy gain sound that I have come to know when high gain amps are running at low volumes. That might just be worth the price of admission right there. It sounds great at a low volume.

There are plenty of options for high gain around this price point and the PRS amp does a nice job of delivering while having a unique sound, feel, and look. It's also worth pointing out that these are USA made.

I initially had one of these ordered when the news struck, but backed out of it when I heard the clips PRS posted. It just wasn't my thing. Recent clips perked my interest and after having played one I can say I dig it much more than I thought it would. I normally feel pretty comfortable making a decision after hearing clips, but Archon was the exception. I think it's better than the clips demonstrate.

The amp lacks the fizzy gain sound that I have come to know when high gain amps are running at low volumes. That might just be worth the price of admission right there. It sounds great at a low volume.

This is great news, and seems to be a hallmark of PRS amps. Both my HXDA and DG30 sound fantastic at low volume, much better than I had a right to expect. No fizz.

It's not only good for playing at home, it also makes recording in a typical studio less of a headache.

Flexibility. A good thing!

This is great news, and seems to be a hallmark of PRS amps. Both my HXDA and DG30 sound fantastic at low volume, much better than I had a right to expect. No fizz.

It's not only good for playing at home, it also makes recording in a typical studio less of a headache.

Flexibility. A good thing!

Glad those amps also sound good at low volumes. They are the two PRS amps I most want to take for a test run.

Excellent points as well Les.

Took you long enough!

After hearing the clips I just couldn't commit until I had the chance to play one. This is the first one I have found locally. There's a DG30 and matching cab close enough to try as well. Soon!

After hearing the clips I just couldn't commit until I had the chance to play one. This is the first one I have found locally. There's a DG30 and matching cab close enough to try as well. Soon!

I'll be interested to hear your take on the DG30. I've been going back and forth, but late in the day found yet another set of tones I like with it with the Singlecut.

I suppose I should point out that I love the basic tone of the DG30.

Problem has been, once I swapped the Artist V out in favor of the Hammer of the Gods Singlecut, it makes for a very, very different kind of tone with both amps. And because the Hammer does that traditional, late 50s Singlecut thing, and only that thing (unlike the more modern SC58 or 245) it really is more of a natural for the HXDA. I mean, plug the Hammer into the HXDA, no pedals, and there you are.

I have had to do a lot of tweaking and pedal-messing-around to make the Hammer work with the DG. This has been the source of no small amount of self-inflicted hair loss. ;)

Why don't I just use the Hammer with the HXDA and the 408 with the DG and call it a day? Because I'm OCD and I want both guitars to work well with both amps!

Another source of frustration is that the 408 is in for a bit o' setup stuff at the PTC. Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts on the DG when you have a chance to check one out.

Last edited:
Nice review. Coming from a metalhead like yourself, this should carry a lot of weight around these parts....:)

I was thinking about the music I had listened to today...

I rocked King's X - Gretchen Goes to Nebraska a whole bunch today and I think the Archon could cop those tones. And you know Ty Tabor's tone on that record was freaking insane. Some magic going on in the high mids and highs to me, but keeping some nice clarity on the low end.

One of my favorite albums, and I love his tone.

Back