Archon Head / Tons of mid range

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by bvaladez74, Sep 22, 2014.

1. bvaladez74

bvaladez74 New Member

Anyone have an opinion on the natural EQ curve / Voicing of the Archon?

I just spend a few days dialing the amp in....and played 2 gigs with it...on a huge stage this last weekend. I'm a gigging musician...with a really heavy schedule....cover band stuff with a wide range of tones I pull out of my hat, every night. I play mainly musicman axis guitars and strats. One night I used the amp on it's own with a few pedals in front and an EQ and delay in the loop and the other night I ran the 4CM with my POD HD500x to compare.

The amp on it's own has an incredible amount of unwanted high mids...honky mids that can't really be dialed out, even with the mid knob all the way off. Seems about the 1k range is the culprit. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a "scooped mid" type of player...however...a smooth, even flat EQ to start is a requirement. I've tried 2 of these heads...one in a store and one I ordered and same result. The 2 I played on multiple guitars on 2 different rigs...sounds NOTHING like the demo videos produced by PRS with Zach Myers and Tremonti playing through them.

If I played my strat all night on the neck pickup, this thing would be amazing on it's own, out of the box with no "helpers" to smooth out the nasely frequencies....but for a rock to high gain rock tone...with humbuckers...for me, the amp is NOT usable unless I run at least a 10band EQ in the loop pulling down a couple different mid frequencies.

I'm looking for similar experiences. Set aside the idea of "This amp is sooo badass solely cuz it's a PRS". I love PRS all around...but be impartial and only speak off the tone you've experienced out of the box. Anyone have the same issue?

Thanks.

2. Jazzedout

Jazzedout More Guitars than Time...

Interesting...
    Do you want to share how you are dialing the amp? I mean how the knobs are set (masters, depth and presence controls and individual channels).
    It would help people with an Archon understand better.
    Maybe the key is not in the midrange control...

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

1 kHz is generally around the upper end of what we define as "midrange" in audio production, but it might be covered by the treble control in a guitar amp, as there is no precise rule about where midrange ends and upper mids begin.

In fact, guitar amps aren't able to reproduce frequencies above 5KHz, and true high frequencies begin at 4.5 KHz. 1.2kHz - 4.5 kHz being defined in most cases as upper mids but on a guitar amp are generally covered by the treble control.

Here's my question - if you heard the frequency emphasis that you don't care for in the store, why'd you go ahead and order one in the first place? It always puzzles me why people buy something they ought to know they won't care for, and then complain about it later.

I'm assuming that you've tried the presence control also.

#3 LSchefman, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  4. bvaladez74

bvaladez74 New Member

@LSchefman...
    I went to a GC and tried a 2nd one after I purchased mine (sorry to confuse). Even so, it's hard to judge in a store...where you're playing a dry head in a scenario that's not integrated in your existing rig...so it's always a chance or risk....trying out a new head once you get it introduced to a real live situation. And presence almost always adds more upper mid range than treble does. In most amp situations.

@jazzedout
    Doesn't matter how it's dialed. Whether it's everything at 12 oclock..or the mids all the way down...treble at 9 oclock, presense at about 9, bass maybe 10, gain about half way up. It has an over abundance of upper mids in all settings.

Guys...it's not a matter of how the amp is set. That's not the issue. I definitely have many years experience dialing in great tones on many different types of rigs. I'm looking for anyone experiencing the same tonal situation of the box....or after they've gigged with it.

Thanks.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Pincher of Harmonics

I've used mine pretty extensively for the past 8 months, live and in studio. My experience has been that the amp is inherently dark. I'm not sure what kind of music you play but I go for heavy, balanced tones with lots of gain, with very little mid scoop so I can still cut through. The depth, presence, and bright switch are the most sensitive and relevant controls to shaping my tone, on this amp.

What cab are you using?

In general, 4cm, especially with a Pod5000, is going to really kill your tone and make things sound like poop.

I would just run the amp with a basic guitar-amp-cab setup--see if you can successfully dial-in your needs--then try to incorporate the rest of your rig and see where the big differences appear.

6. bvaladez74

bvaladez74 New Member

@Blackbird: Like I said above...I've tested with and without a pod. Generally when I test, it's direct into the head, nothing in between. I have 1x12 orange cabs (V30's) and testing with my 4x12 Marshall (GT1275's).

If you have a hard time dialing in more modern gear like with a POD and a real amp...then you could get a **** tone with a POD using the 4CM. That's not the case here. I actually get an amazing tone with this head ONLY with the POD integrated...cuz I can take advantage of the built in EQ's. But that aside...

I'll say this again, respectfully. I'm not looking for a "fix" as someone lacking experience or knowledge. I'm a touring musician, pro...for many years. I definitely know EQ, engineering and gear like the back of my hand.

Everything you use effects your EQ curve, cables/cab/pickups/body wood/ohms/etc. Totally understandable...but right off the bat, this doesn't have what I hear as a flat EQ...it's very heavy on the high mid end. Far more than any of my other amps: Bogner Shiva, Egnater Armageddon, EVH 5150 III

I'm just looking for similar experiences in an out of the box or gigging situation with this amp, prior to returning it.

Thanks guys.

#6 bvaladez74, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Pincher of Harmonics

Actually in your first post, you said you used it with several pedals in front and a delay in the loop. That's not the same as what I mentioned.

I suggested you used the amp with nothing else, to see if you can use your many years of dialing in awesome tones, to see if you can get in the ballpark. Then start adding in your other gear, using logic and deduction to figure out the rest.

I have no problem with "modern gear," I own a Kemper and have previously owned a Pod and Axe. It's just a fact, 4cm is going to compromise your tone, whether you want to admit it or not. 4CM offers a convenient solution, as the expense of some tone loss, that's life.

Not sure what you're looking for, as you seem to have your answers already. Using the search function will show that nobody else has had the same experience, e.g. honky mid.

There are lots of real pro touring musicians, Tremonti, ZM, Emil, etc., who are using this amp to play brutal humbucker rawk without any mid honk problems. Weird.

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I kinda feel I was too hard on the OP.

I think if the amp isn't your thing, definitely return it. No point in being unhappy!

9. bvaladez74

bvaladez74 New Member

Feel better Blackbird?

10. vchizzle

vchizzle Zomb!e Nine, DFZ

I actually can't stand anything that is inherently bright or high mid driven. I don't like the majority of Marshall amps because of this. I guess I'm just not hearing what you're hearing. I find this amp to be voiced with a lot of low mid and bass emphasis. You're the first person I've heard describe it as "honky". I've heard some complain it's too dark or muddy, etc...but not heard honky. I guess we all hear things differently. Sounds to me like you should just return it since it's clearly not your cup of tea.

11. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

I believe the politically correct term you're looking for is crackery. :rofl:

I don't hear a mid prominence either. In fact, I've found it to be a bit more even than my two-channel C at times - the gain channel on that amps strikes me as dark sometimes, and the Archon doesn't.

12. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc I like to party, mmm hmm, everybody does.

Snowflakery is what we say here in Chi-raq.