Archon Footswitch Question

Mikeloquent

So I dug through the forums and found only posts from a couple years ago, but I was wondering... I don't (like many) like the fact that the archon footswitch cable is hardwired. I found through old posts that people are using a variety of midi switching systems with custom cables (like the Best-Tronics cable, can't post link because this is my first post). I was wondering if one of these 5 pin din to 1/4" cables would work with a Boss FS-5U or FS5-UL. Only interested in switching channels, don't use the loop. So I just want a small footprint one button switch and don't want to invest hundreds in a giant 4 button switch for my purposes. Any advice?

Yes, any latching switch will do the job. You just have to make sure that the connection is to the correct conductor (tip) If you order a din to TS adapter.

Yes, any latching switch will do the job. You just have to make sure that the connection is to the correct conductor (tip) If you order a din to TS adapter.
How will I know if it is the right conductor?

If you buy an adapter, make sure it specifies that channel control is wired to tip. I can check my besttronics adapter to see if it's already that way. If you're making it yourself, you'll need to know which wire is which in the din connector.

If you buy an adapter, make sure it specifies that channel control is wired to tip. I can check my besttronics adapter to see if it's already that way. If you're making it yourself, you'll need to know which wire is which in the din connector.
Yeah I'll prob be ordering the best tronics one. I see they have two, I would probably need the one that's split into two TRS wouldn't I?

I just checked mine (besttronic), it converts from DIN to TRS. The tip is channel switch, the ring is FX loop. If the ring is floating, the FX loop is enabled. If the ring is shorted to shield, the FX loop disables.

For the channel, tip floating is clean, tip shorted to shield is lead.

You could just get the single TRS, but if your single-switch jack accidentally shorts the ring to shield, you will lose the FX loop. If there is a converter to two TS, you'd probably be better off. Alternatively. if there is a chance you might want to switch the FX loop at some point, you could get the single TRS and buy a female TRS to dual male TS adapter and have it both ways.

Back