Archon Discontinued?

mapleleaf14

A few people over on FB posting that their dealers have told them the the Archon amp is discontinued...surely that's a mistake?!?

Well one of the guys that posted said he called to get just the standard black 50-watt head which is why I was wondering.

I have one of those, but also one of the limited plum 25-watt combos which I know are discontinued.

Well, they're all still on the website and are in 2016 product catalog. I sure hope not.

Well, they're all still on the website and are in 2016 product catalog. I sure hope not.

For all the positive buzz they've been getting (a LOT), I would be very surprised if this were true. Unless they were upgrading it, like what happened with the 2 channel H and Custom 50.

I've started to warm to the idea of a 100 watt head and 2x12, so it better not be true!

I have a brand new 100w head sitting in my shop. Call me... I will give you a great deal on it.

For all the positive buzz they've been getting (a LOT), I would be very surprised if this were true. Unless they were upgrading it, like what happened with the 2 channel H and Custom 50.

I've started to warm to the idea of a 100 watt head and 2x12, so it better not be true!

I have a brand new 100w head sitting in my shop. Call me... I will give you a great deal on it.

Does that come with a guarantee that my wife won't get mad? :D

I'll give you a shout when the time comes, I've seen a lot of happy customers of yours here!

The Archon being discontinued would be news to me

Yeah, but is seems you've been busy with a project lately... :p

That said, I'd be surprised if this was discontinued - it's gotten some decent buzz.

I heard from my Sweetwater rep that if someone were interested in an Archon that it would be in their best interest to wait until NAMM, so perhaps it's not being discontinued, just something being added that would be in a similar vein.

That's what I was told by a dealer on line...maybe the rumored lunch box tremonti archon will make an appearance? When is NAMM anyway?

I heard from my Sweetwater rep that if someone were interested in an Archon that it would be in their best interest to wait until NAMM, so perhaps it's not being discontinued, just something being added that would be in a similar vein.

"My" Sweetwater rep (i.e., the guy they randomly assigned my account to) is pitifully clueless when it comes to guitar-related gear. He's a very nice guy, though.

He recently tried to tell me that a product I already own and use daily in my studio wasn't for guitar amps, when I tried to buy another one for my other amp, and then tried to sell me something he already sold me that I happen to own - and knew nothing about what I asked for, even though Sweetwater has it on their website.

Typical, that they'd have their sales people tell a potential buyer not to buy something that's a very good amp he's interested in, because something like an amp that isn't on the market might be coming down the pike at NAMM.

As though the Archon would suddenly become less functional or sound worse than the new-new -newer-than-new (!) X product.

Good guitar amps don't become obsolete. As we know, a new model doesn't suddenly obsolete an old one. It's ridiculous.

Yeah the first guy that was randomly assigned to me was pretty clueless and didn't return phone calls so I requested to have someone more well-versed in guitar stuff and I have been pretty happy with the guy I have now. I had already purchased my Archon previously, but was talking to him about the other guitarist in my band potentially being interested in one.

They (Sweetwater) don't have any Archon 100's in stock at the moment, and with NAMM right around the corner I actually appreciate the head's up that something that would be in the same ballpark or with more/different features might be available in the very near future. I'd much rather have the rep shoot straight than to just mindlessly push and attempt to make a sale even if it's not in my best interest.

I agree completely that no matter what PRS releases or discontinues in the future, it doesn't change that the Archon is an awesome amp, and I don't see myself letting it go any time soon. And while the amp doesn't become obsolete, resale value can be affected quite drastically if say PRS hypothetically comes out with an Archon II and replaces the existing Archon. While not important to all, I try to keep that in consideration especially when buying brand new gear.

They (Sweetwater) don't have any Archon 100's in stock at the moment.

This tells you EXACTLY why the guy said to hold off. He has nothing in stock and doesn't want you to buy from someone who does.

Forgive my cynicism here, but we've already heard from James at PRS that the Archon isn't going to be discontinued.

So maybe another product is in the works, so what. If you're interested in a 100 Watt Archon, why would something like a lunchbox amp (the oft-rumored Tremont 5 Watter, etc) even be of interest?

Last edited:
Well... my ears are perked to hear more about this topic, whatever it may end up being.

Maybe Sweetwater let their stock run out so they wouldn't be stuck trying to sell older versions when a new update is available. Not saying it makes the existing Archon bad, but consumers are notoriously fickle about wanting the newest toys. Heck, maybe that means any current Archons in stock with retailers will go on crazy discount!

This tells you EXACTLY why the guy said to hold off. He has nothing in stock and doesn't want you to buy from someone who does.

Forgive my cynicism here, but we've already heard from James at PRS that the Archon isn't going to be discontinued.

So maybe another product is in the works, so what. If you're interested in a 100 Watt Archon, why would something like a lunchbox amp (the oft-rumored Tremont 5 Watter, etc) even be of interest?

Since Sweetwater accepts orders for products they don't have in stock I don't think it would make sense to tell someone to wait unless something comparable was around the corner. I don't think anything has been confirmed on the Tremonti lunchbox head, but perhaps there is another high gain 100w head in the works. While the Archon would obviously still be a great amp, if we're only a month or two out from another product that might be worth considering its nice to have the options.

Since Sweetwater accepts orders for products they don't have in stock I don't think it would make sense to tell someone to wait unless something comparable was around the corner. I don't think anything has been confirmed on the Tremonti lunchbox head, but perhaps there is another high gain 100w head in the works. While the Archon would obviously still be a great amp, if we're only a month or two out from another product that might be worth considering its nice to have the options.

It might be nice to have options, I agree. But I'm calling BS with Sweetwater on this one. I guess we shall see. I'm happy to be wrong, if that's the case.

21502_10101333868927887_3246149526319035732_n.jpg

"Uhhhh just stopped by my local dealer, they are blowing out their archons for an insane price!"

found the above on the Facebook, PRS Guitar Forum group

"Uhhhh just stopped by my local dealer, they are blowing out their archons for an insane price!"

found the above on the Facebook, PRS Guitar Forum group

So this doesn't help the "Archon is discontinued" rumor...the dealer that has these on clearance are doing so because the metal players in this town go right for Marshall/EVH/Peavey. They ordered two Archons to test the PRS waters as far as amps go, and they didn't move so they dropped the price to make them move.

Guitar Center did with Mesa when they stopped carrying them, and Mesa is still around. :)

Last edited:
Back