Archon Discontinued?

Do you think the 5-ish watt amps are compromises because companies position them as entry level, budget conscious amps? I suppose some of the higher end companies are probably more serious about them, but many of the low and mid level companies naturally put 5-watt amps as the entry to their lineup. Which, I feel, is where a lot of those "meh" amps come from.

If PRS could hit the sweet spot, where they can spend enough on components and build to make a simple, great sounding amp, but price competitive enough that people would still be willing to pay for it, I think they'd sell. We've had plenty of visitors here looking for the best PRS amp for home or apartment use, but most of the current models are overkill for that. A single channel, 5 watt amp, TMB stack, bright switch, perhaps inspired by the rhythm channel of the Custom 50, would be killer. And, I would assume, could be done for around the $1000-1200 mark, or considerably less if they could work the kinks out as an SE offering. "Lacking bottom end" is the last thing I would say about my SE amp, in fact it would be a case of taming low end if made similarly.

5's can be cool. I tricked out a Valve Jr., as much as my knee-jerk reaction is to regard it as a toy, it actually sounds pretty good, considering I've got all of $300 into the head and matching 1x12. They sound like complete crap stock, but with a tone knob, boost, and 3-way voicing switch, and an oversized Hammond OT, the thing kicks now. I'm still surprised how many compliments I get on it. Of course, comparing it to what PRS would do is apples and rocket science. But, my point is, they can be simple, fun, and well done.

Victory has made a few amps in this format. Very small footprint usually 30 or 50 watts switchable down as low as 2 watts. Hand made in the UK.

Victory has made a few amps in this format. Very small footprint usually 30 or 50 watts switchable down as low as 2 watts. Hand made in the UK.
I've heard a lot of good things about Victory, would love to try something of theirs around 40-50 watts next time I'm in the market.

So if PRS makes one, I hope they do it at the highest tone quality level possible for a small amp. I'd hate to see PRS compromise their lineup with anything less than the best.
I haven't seen anything from PRS to suggest it would be anything less.

Do you think the 5-ish watt amps are compromises because companies position them as entry level, budget conscious amps? I suppose some of the higher end companies are probably more serious about them, but many of the low and mid level companies naturally put 5-watt amps as the entry to their lineup. Which, I feel, is where a lot of those "meh" amps come from.

If PRS could hit the sweet spot, where they can spend enough on components and build to make a simple, great sounding amp, but price competitive enough that people would still be willing to pay for it, I think they'd sell.

I think they'd probably sell like hotcakes - but the kicker of course is always price.

I thought the first lunchbox Mesa amps (for some reason I think they started this trend) were good for the very little money asked, but also limited in their tone quality. I considered getting one, but just couldn't force myself to pull the trigger on an amp I knew I'd never use to do any recording with, even though I loved it as a cool toy concept.

The Suhr Corso is more tempting, because its sound quality is very good, however, I'm so happy with my amps right now I have a hard time persuading myself.

I got my son a Valve Jr. when he was in high school, because he thought he'd get some use out of it even though his primary amp at the time was a Mesa Stiletto. I actually thought it was a wonderfully ratty sounding amp! We didn't mod it, though, and he left it at a buddy's when he was in high school and never went back for it, which is a thing my son used to do when he was feeling lazy about a piece of gear...

In fact, when his tour came to Detroit, he left us with a box of clothes he didn't want to keep on the tour, some shoes, a camera, and his Taylor GS Mini, a guitar he uses to write with, but didn't feel like dragging around any more. So he still does this. LOL!

I think they'd probably sell like hotcakes - but the kicker of course is always price.

I thought the first lunchbox Mesa amps (for some reason I think they started this trend) were good for the very little money asked, but also limited in their tone quality. I considered getting one, but just couldn't force myself to pull the trigger on an amp I knew I'd never use to do any recording with, even though I loved it as a cool toy concept.

The Suhr Corso is more tempting, because its sound quality is very good, however, I'm so happy with my amps right now I have a hard time persuading myself.

I got my son a Valve Jr. when he was in high school, because he thought he'd get some use out of it even though his primary amp at the time was a Mesa Stiletto. I actually thought it was a wonderfully ratty sounding amp! We didn't mod it, though, and he left it at a buddy's when he was in high school and never went back for it, which is a thing my son used to do when he was feeling lazy about a piece of gear...

In fact, when his tour came to Detroit, he left us with a box of clothes he didn't want to keep on the tour, some shoes, a camera, and his Taylor GS Mini, a guitar he uses to write with, but didn't feel like dragging around any more. So he still does this. LOL!

Assuming you're referring to the Transatlantic series? I tried a TA30 once, but wasn't loving it. Perhaps it was the cab, but the thing just sounded muddy (which was MUCH to my dismay, it was a killer price when GC was clearancing/dropping Mesa, or maybe I should say Mesa dropping GC). But I also could never get excited about the way the Vox tones dominated one whole channel, and the fact that there were no mid controls. I think I should've just grabbed it and flipped it if I didn't care for it, probably would've made money.

Here's an interview with Mark Tremonti where he's talking about a signature amp he's working on with PRS...

Could this be ready for NAMM?

Last edited:
Assuming you're referring to the Transatlantic series? I tried a TA30 once, but wasn't loving it. Perhaps it was the cab, but the thing just sounded muddy (which was MUCH to my dismay, it was a killer price when GC was clearancing/dropping Mesa, or maybe I should say Mesa dropping GC). But I also could never get excited about the way the Vox tones dominated one whole channel, and the fact that there were no mid controls. I think I should've just grabbed it and flipped it if I didn't care for it, probably would've made money.

I thought it was cool for the small amount it cost, but as I said, not good enough for serious work. I love Vox tones, so that wasn't a bad thing as far as I was concerned.

Didn't buy one, though. It's tough to have these awesome PRS amps, and then walk into a store and be impressed with other amps (though at that time I was playing Two-Rock amps, they were darn good, too).

But I'd love to have the right Vox style amp.

I thought it was cool for the small amount it cost, but as I said, not good enough for serious work. I love Vox tones, so that wasn't a bad thing as far as I was concerned.

Didn't buy one, though. It's tough to have these awesome PRS amps, and then walk into a store and be impressed with other amps (though at that time I was playing Two-Rock amps, they were darn good, too).

But I'd love to have the right Vox style amp.

To be clear, I do really like Vox tones too. It just bummed me out that one whole channek was ALL Vox, I would've preferred to have a blackface or bassman with the normal Vox on channel one, and the Top Boost sitting with the gain tones on the other. But, I suppose the circuit makes more sense having them together. It's just not how I would use it.

To be clear, I do really like Vox tones too. It just bummed me out that one whole channek was ALL Vox, I would've preferred to have a blackface or bassman with the normal Vox on channel one, and the Top Boost sitting with the gain tones on the other. But, I suppose the circuit makes more sense having them together. It's just not how I would use it.

I think they named it the "Transatlantic" mostly because of that Vox thing. Dunno where the Tweed came in.

I think PRS should do what they feel like doing about this lunch box amp market, I'm neither for it, nor agin' it.

What's always troubled me about the format is that it involves some inherent compromise in tone simply to make everything tiny. But that doesn't make the amps bad, just different.

I have an Archon. I like my Archon. The Archon is not my only amp.
I don't have a HX/DA. I would like a HX/DA. But I can't afford a HX/DA.

I have an Archon. I like my Archon. The Archon is not my only amp.
I don't have a HX/DA. I would like a HX/DA. But I can't afford a HX/DA.

I've heard of this savings account thing. I can only speculate that it's possible - the operative word being possible - to put money in one of these accounts and accumulate enough to get things a person wants.

I did get an HXDA, but it was one of those magical "money appeared and disappeared" events, so the whole savings account concept described hereinabove was not involved. Thus it might be a myth after all.

I've heard of this savings account thing. I can only speculate that it's possible - the operative word being possible - to put money in one of these accounts and accumulate enough to get things a person wants.

I did get an HXDA, but it was one of those magical "money appeared and disappeared" events, so the whole savings account concept described hereinabove was not involved. Thus it might be a myth after all.

I intend to prove that it is indeed a myth. Pure mumbo jumbo, hocum.

haha - so true, Les.

I often buy expensive gear by holding it on layaway while I make payments on it. Guitar center will do it. So will a lot of small shops.

haha - so true, Les.

I often buy expensive gear by holding it on layaway while I make payments on it. Guitar center will do it. So will a lot of small shops.

You bet! It's a good way to go, because you're committed to it. The money doesn't get flushed down the drain on other unnecessary things.

Like...uhm....food and shelter. Things like that!

Back