Archon Cleans

OsirisProtocol

10 o'Clubs
So how are the Archon cleans? I'd love to try one of these amps out but my store doesn't receive them for stock unfortunately. Most of the demos I've come across have left me very underwhelmed about the amp in general but I attributed that to poor mic'ing and youtube quality suckage. That and I feel most people play with more gain than necessary to demo an amp and make everything fizzy. The Andertons demo was good in that aspect and gave me a glimmer of the cleans. Any one can contribute to the type or feel of the cleans on their Archon? I'm looking at the 50w head in particular. I'm waiting on an amp now and if this falls through I think the Archon will be the one.

Beautiful, chime-y, full-spectrum (deep and high) clean channel. Really quite lovely. Takes pedals well. I really like it. The 100w head pairs very well with the PRS 2x12 cab. That may be a crucial factor - the wrong cab might not let the Archon shine.

That's all I can offer.

I bought the Grissom and the HXDA amps based on the PRS site clips. They sound exactly like what I heard in the clips, just higher fidelity in person. But the basic character is the same.

Gotta say that I'd never buy an amp that I don't dig the clips for. If you're not into most of what you've heard, why spend the dough?

I agree with shinksma about it having great cleans. i feel that the C and Dallas are better/warmer, but the Archon is more than adequate to be my gigging amp. It takes pedals well, but I found that I had to move several pedals out of the loop and put them in front of the amp. I'm pushing two Mesa cabinets.

Beautiful, chime-y, full-spectrum (deep and high) clean channel. Really quite lovely. Takes pedals well. I really like it. The 100w head pairs very well with the PRS 2x12 cab. That may be a crucial factor - the wrong cab might not let the Archon shine.

That's all I can offer.

Sounds like it might be right up my alley. I'll be running it with a Port City cab most of the time. Either a 1x12OS or 2x12OS.

I bought the Grissom and the HXDA amps based on the PRS site clips. They sound exactly like what I heard in the clips, just higher fidelity in person. But the basic character is the same.

Gotta say that I'd never buy an amp that I don't dig the clips for. If you're not into most of what you've heard, why spend the dough?

The clips for 90% of the amps out there are terrible IMO. I feel like it's rare for someone to really sit and dial in an amp tones for a demo or even just sweep through the controls to give the listener an idea for the range. It's even rarer for most people to use reasonable amounts of gain without going into fizz territory. These two things plus loads of other factors like micing, processing and overall quality ruin demos for me. I've played loads of amps that I thought would be terrible because of their demos and absolutely fell in love with them in person. But that is just me.

I agree with shinksma about it having great cleans. i feel that the C and Dallas are better/warmer, but the Archon is more than adequate to be my gigging amp. It takes pedals well, but I found that I had to move several pedals out of the loop and put them in front of the amp. I'm pushing two Mesa cabinets.

Are you referring to the two channel C model or the currently in production two channel custom? Truthfully I'd love a Blue Sierra if I can find one when I'm ready. I remember hearing one in person during a roadshow Paul did with some friends and I was floored at how beautiful that amp sounds. Wonder if the powers that be have an plans on bringing them back into production.

The clips for 90% of the amps out there are terrible IMO. I feel like it's rare for someone to really sit and dial in an amp tones for a demo or even just sweep through the controls to give the listener an idea for the range. It's even rarer for most people to use reasonable amounts of gain without going into fizz territory. These two things plus loads of other factors like micing, processing and overall quality ruin demos for me.

True, most clips aren't great, but the ones on the PRS site have given me a very good idea of the amp's character - at the very least, they've been sufficient to decide whether I want to delve further into checking one out. Seriously, I bought both the HXDA 50 and the DG30 based on PRS website clips because there were none locally! Also just bought an HXDA 30 head based on the clips on the website.

I make my living in the studio, and mic up amps (mine and session guys') on a daily basis. I think Paul does a good job setting them up and recording them, at least the ones at his studio.

In any case, my point is that if all I heard were clips I didn't like, I wouldn't just spring for one. I'd want to check one out in a store at the very least. Here's a nice Blue Sierra the guy claims is mint:

https://reverb.com/item/449645-paul...id=pla&pla=1&gclid=CIOlyPLKpcQCFZI1aQodDJYARw

Last edited:
Archon cleans are outstanding. To me, they're just as good as the cleans on my two-channel C. The Archon takes pedals very well. Most times recording, I don't bother getting up to switch to a different amp for cleans.

Back