Archon 50 vs Orange Rockerverb

Guitarjon

I thought this would be a fun comparison to make since these amps have some similarities but they are also quite unique in their own ways. They both have 2 channels (clean and high gain) so they are well suited for similar styles, they are both 50 watts so equally as powerful etc.

Despite being so similar in ways, the tones are quite different. Overall the Archon has more mid-range bark and string definition where the Orange has that typical Orange sizzly "soft" attack. Which one would you choose?

Enjoyable.

Here's a cool mod for a Rockerverb MK3 for you. Bypass the reverb via the footswitch and adjust the reverb control on your amp for extra oomph. Reverb - even bypassed still stays in an audio patch; only the tank is shorted, and the control is still active. I used to plug a small shorted jack in a reverb footswitch out. It messes up the clean channel in extreme settings and makes the amp lazy, so drop the bass and bump the midrange to compensate. I used to love the Rockerverb. Such an amp

Very interesting demo!

On the clean channels, the tone of the Rockerverb was my clear preference, but some of that might be down to the reverb, which let's face it, DOES tend to create a fuller vibe, makes it rounder and have a "bloom," and could be one reason why the amp sounds so warm clean. In any case, it has a very warm and lovely clean tone.

With the high gain, dry sounds, I preferred the tightness and cut of the Archon; I think it works better in a mix for that style of music.

However, I suspect that with the dirty channel set for a lighter crunch the way I set up an amp, the Rockerverb would be my choice overall.

Last edited:
Very interesting demo!

On the clean channels, the tone of the Rockerverb was my clear preference, but some of that might be down to the reverb, which let's face it, DOES affect the tone, and could be one reason why the amp sounds so warm clean. In any case, it has a very warm and lovely clean tone.

With the high gain, dry sounds, I preferred the tightness and cut of the Archon; I think it works better in a mix for that style of music.

However, I suspect that with the dirty channel set for a lighter crunch the way I set up an amp, the Rockerverb would be my choice overall.

Rockerverb MKII had amazing low gain overdrive tones spectacular amp. MK3 I owned; had mediocre cleans but better with 5751. The drive channel was just something else, IMO, very signature to this amp line. I never played Archon. I hope I will one day

Back