ARCHON 50 OR 100 WATT?

matt3310

I've decided to pull the trigger on an Archon. Is there a huge difference in sound between 100 watt and 50?

I'm leaning to the 50 watt.

Last edited:
*Archon

:p

I have the 25 watt, it's loud enough for me!

There's a 3 dB difference between 50 and 100 watts.

(Insert headroom discussion here)

I had a 25w, and have the 50w head now. Absolutely love it. Have never played a 100w. Wish I could provide some info for you. :(

Matt, there are probably not a lot of guys who have played both. I bought the 50 because A) I don’t need 100 (who does?) B) it was what was available at the time and C) it was my preference anyway, because of the triode mode which isn’t on the 100.

The 50 and 100 are pretty much exactly the same. The 100 is a tiny bit tighter because of the extra headroom. The volume is not significantly more, as noted, but the headroom makes for different dynamics.

I switched my 100 back and forth between 50W and 100W mode a lot and at the same volume, I prefer the 100.

The 100 has the ability to shut off two tubes and run the power tubes in pentode mode in both 100 and 50 Watt modes. The 50 and 25 switch between pentode and triode modes. I've never liked triode, too mushy for me.

YMMV

You probably already know this, but bass frequencies push an amp harder than other frequencies. Thus, a 100 Watt amp has tighter bass, or you might say, less mushy bass, because of the additional headroom. The amp can handle the bass without mushing out.

Nonetheless, one of the things I like about 50 Watt Plexis is that compared to a 100, the bass is softer, and I can dig into the amp a little more easily.

To me, the volume thing is almost irrelevant, since most amps have good master volumes these days. It’s all about how tight you need the bass response to be.

I've never liked triode, too mushy for me
And this is why I DO like it. It gives me something different. If you want to switch to smoother less punchy tones, you don’t need another amp, just flip the switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably already know this, but bass frequencies push an amp harder than other frequencies. Thus, a 100 Watt amp has tighter bass, or you might say, less mushy bass, because of the additional headroom. The amp can handle the bass without mushing out.

Nonetheless, one of the things I like about 50 Watt Plexis is that compared to a 100, the bass is softer, and I can dig into the amp a little more easily.

To me, the volume thing is almost irrelevant, since most amps have good master volumes these days. It’s all about how tight you need the bass response to be.

I've had both and i can concur that the 100 sounds more meaty to put it abstractly. Which in my playing situation/style was preferred. Both great amps, and i can see some players preferring the 50...it has a flavor about it to put that abstractly.

I broke down and got the 50 Watt! LOVE it!

lMZYLiK.jpg

Sweet! On settings, I have to say, it's almost unbelievable how close my clean channel knobs stay to "everything at noon." It just sounds GREAT there. No need to dial all over the place, although you certainly can change the voicing and it still sounds great. But I've never had an amp that you start with everything at noon and just go, "yeah, that's it. Don't need to do anything."

The gain channel dials go all over the place because I am doing different things with it. I went through a spell were the gain never went about 9:00. I was doing a more JCM800 type gain. Super open and punchy. Presence up, depth down (9:00) and it kills it. Then I can live for a month with the gain at 10:00 or 11:00. One day with mids down treble up, the next with mids at noon and treble at 1:00. Just crazy how great it sounds all over the dials. And other than to check things out, I don't think I've ever actually played it with the gain past 12:00.

One constant: I leave the bright switches on with both channels all the time unless I switch to single coils. That's the only time they over get turned off.

Enjoy!

Right now its my flavor of the month! LOL So its on my main cab in the guitar room.

But my Diezel Herbert and Soldano SLO are still my faves.

Well, it’s not like you’re gonna run low on cabs, Matt! Heck, if it’s me, I set ‘em all up, put mics in front of each one for recording, and footswitch between ‘em.

Boom! Ready to rock and roll.

Right now its my flavor of the month! LOL So its on my main cab in the guitar room.

But my Diezel Herbert and Soldano SLO are still my faves.
Those 2 being your faves, I would’ve said get the 100. On the other hand, the 50 might get you something just a little different.

Back