Archon 50 Combo Appreciation Thread - Better Late than Never...

It's a 2019 mint shape 100 watt head, still in box. I think PRS made the heads all the same since the beginning, wirh the exception of the plate front. The originals were wood.

Nice! I have one in paisley. Killer amp.

I'm buying it now. The guy said these newer models are not built as well as the old ones that were hand made.. which is why they don't hold value. Is that true?
His is a 2019.!

It's a 2019 mint shape 100 watt head, still in box. I think PRS made the heads all the same since the beginning, wirh the exception of the plate front. The originals were wood.
Doubt you’ll ever find a better price on the original now that the mk II is out. The original will have more value now. Nothing wrong with the mk II, but it ain’t 100 watts and built by the folks in Maryland.

I'm buying it now. The guy said these newer models are not built as well as the old ones that were hand made.. which is why they don't hold value. Is that true?
His is a 2019.!

I'm not jacking off. Lol.
I won’t speculate on how well the new ones are made. There’s no way to make a fair assessment on that. Let’s be real. Like I said, the original was made by the home crew in MD. That’s instantly better value in my book. I have the MT-15 made overseas and it’s a great amp, but it’s not my original USA assembled Archon 100. Look forward to you NAD!

Doubt you’ll ever find a better price on the original now that the mk II is out. The original will have more value now. Nothing wrong with the mk II, but it ain’t 100 watts and built by the folks in Maryland.
Right.
I'm working out the deal with the guy now. He is in California.
Mark II is the Asian built 50 watt head?
The thing that sells me on the Archon is how organic, warm it sounds while still being aggressive, massive and mean. I don't hear that with Revv, KSR or Engl.

I won’t speculate on how well the new ones are made. There’s no way to make a fair assessment on that. Let’s be real. Like I said, the original was made by the home crew in MD. That’s instantly better value in my book. I have the MT-15 made overseas and it’s a great amp, but it’s not my original USA assembled Archon 100. Look forward to you NAD!
When I said new, I meant the later years Archon 100s. So for example, this one I'm getting is a 2019 Archon 100, US built, whereas the earlier were 2014. I think they were built 2014-2020. Mine will be a 2019.

I meant, did they make the later year Archon 100s the same as the earlier ones. I wasn't referring to the Mark II made in Asia amps. Sorey for the confusion.

I just wanted to be sure this 2019, Archon 100 is a true US built amp like the first ones made in 2014, 2015, etc. That's all!:)

One thing that sucks is he told me that the loop is noisy and hums a lot. I thought they fixed that in 2014. That sucks since I use loops and effects a lot, like delay.

One thing that sucks is he told me that the loop is noisy and hums a lot. I thought they fixed that in 2014. That sucks since I use loops and effects a lot, like delay.

Every rig is going to be different with fx loops. That’s the problem with the damned things.

Dumble had to create a separate box called a Dumbleator to reduce fx loop noise.

Fx loops are the devil incarnate.

Not suggesting this amp is right for you, of course. Perhaps it isn’t. But good grounding practice should be a big help.

True.
That said, I've never had a noise issue with any loop in my time, other than when I had a bad tube. My Mark V is dead silent, loop wise.

PRS says they had a design flaw with the first run in 2014 that was resolved later that year, so mid 2014, it was resolved.

The one I'm getting is a 2019, still part of the US made run of Archons. Only thing that changed between 2014, and the later ones in 2019/2020, is the fixed loop and black metal faceplate instead of wood.

When I said new, I meant the later years Archon 100s. So for example, this one I'm getting is a 2019 Archon 100, US built, whereas the earlier were 2014. I think they were built 2014-2020. Mine will be a 2019.

I meant, did they make the later year Archon 100s the same as the earlier ones. I wasn't referring to the Mark II made in Asia amps. Sorey for the confusion.

I just wanted to be sure this 2019, Archon 100 is a true US built amp like the first ones made in 2014, 2015, etc. That's all!:)
Yeah, I understood that. All 100 watt would be the USA made. It sounded like he or someone was saying the 2019 was better built than the mk II. Probably correct but we as whole haven’t seen the build quality of the mk II. I’m sure it’s a fine amp, but the original(like you’re getting) is GREAT.

The loop hasn’t been much of an issue for me, it’s worked just fine without much noise. Not dead silent but relatively quiet. I use an ISP Decimator in the loop on my live rig, cause I have a ton of pedals 4 cable method in front and in loop. At home, I just run an Earthquaker devices dispatch master in the loop and it’s perfectly fine and not noisy.
1) don’t put your pedal right on top of the head
2) don’t stand with your guitar 6 inches from the head

Some people complain about it but in my experience, if you take steps to keep your signal clean, it’s not an issue. YMMV and all that.

Yeah, I understood that. All 100 watt would be the USA made. It sounded like he or someone was saying the 2019 was better built than the mk II. Probably correct but we as whole haven’t seen the build quality of the mk II. I’m sure it’s a fine amp, but the original(like you’re getting) is GREAT.

The loop hasn’t been much of an issue for me, it’s worked just fine without much noise. Not dead silent but relatively quiet. I use an ISP Decimator in the loop on my live rig, cause I have a ton of pedals 4 cable method in front and in loop. At home, I just run an Earthquaker devices dispatch master in the loop and it’s perfectly fine and not noisy.
1) don’t put your pedal right on top of the head
2) don’t stand with your guitar 6 inches from the head

Some people complain about it but in my experience, if you take steps to keep your signal clean, it’s not an issue. YMMV and all that.
Preach brother V! A man with mucho experience with the Archon, especially in live situations.

No, I must not be saying this correctly.
He said the original ones around 2014+ were hand made in the US... But he thinks they changed them later around 2018 or so, still 100 watts but made differently.

The new Asian mk II are totally different.

He was comparing a 2014/2015 Arxhon 100 to a 2018-2020 Archon 100. Both first generation.
I heard the early ones were built really well - like 2014-2017. However, I contacted PRS and they said the 2014-2020 Archon 100s all built the same, except the faceplate and loop fix.

I only have about 10 pedals with 4 in the loop.
I don't use a noise gate as I haven't needed one but I did use an ISP years ago. I could get a other.
No, I never have pedals on the head. Lots of guys do.
I stand away from the amp if I'm evaluating noise.
PRS fixed the issue in 2014 anyway. :)

Curious how it will sound wirh my cabs:
Splawn 412 - UK V30/Rebacks
Bogner 412 - UK V30/K100
Bogner 212 - V30/K100
Stone Age 212 - Redbacks

Last edited:
If you guys ever have time, check out Kyle Bull on YouTube and Tone Wars. Both are great channels that do alp reviews and comparisons. You can really hear how big open and organic the Archon sounds compared to amps like the Engl Savage, Revv MkIII and KSR.

I was able to try a KSR and felt it was too much like my Mesa amps, and for more money.

Another great thing I'm excited about is how great the Archon takes pedals. It will be great having an amp like my Bogner Shiva was with taking pedals. This way I can use like my Bogner Blue pedal on the clean for more of those classic rock tones and then I have the Archon's gain channel for my high gain. Plus I can kick it in even more with my KSR Eros pedal.
Excited.

Worried I over spent. $1600 for a 2019 Archon 100. I just saw a 100 go for 1300 and two before that, for 1100 and 1250.
Oh well.
If I love it and keep it, it won't matter in the long run :)

Last edited:
Oddly i have noticed that the prices on the original Archons are dropping like crazy.
They are selling on The Gear Page and elsewhere for 1200-1500.
That's an amazing price for a handmade US built amplifier.

Last edited:
Oddly i have noticed that the prices on su d original Archons are dropping like crazy.
They are selling on The Gear Page and elsewhere for 1200-1500.
That's an amazing price for a handmade US built amplifier.
Well maybe things are returning to normal then.

Back