Archon 25 or...

I have a Mk III Boogie...are great when you get them dialed in just-so, but can be temperamental and it seems like the tone changes day to day without changing the knobs.
Ain’t that the truth! The older they get, the more temperamental they get, too. If you didn’t already have a 100w Archon, I was going to recommend the 50w version. The 25w combo just didn’t impress me like the bigger brothers.

I'm in the market for a great rock/metal small amp for home, that I can also get great cleans as well. Not interested in the MT15, but the Archon 25 combo seems really appealing. The other amp I'm considering is a Boogie Mark V:25. I've always been a huge fan of the Mark series amps, and the V:25 packs a lot of variety in a small package. On the flip side, the simplicity of the Archon is appealing.

Anyone used/own both, and can give your own objective opinions?

Thanks.

Tough choice. I have both an Archon as well as a Mesa Mark Five:25. My Archon is a 100w though, so if portability were more important to me, I'd go with the Mark 5:25. I like both amps but the Mark 5:25 does have a greater number of features, making it more versatile.

Got the little beast. Well... it's a beast! I can tell there are going to be so many tones to get out of this thing. Already found a few great settings, but work travel is getting in the way of playing.

One thing I'm trying to decide on... the cab. I have this 2x12 closed back cab with vintage 30's. It's a lot of cab, aiming at my knees. I'm wondering if I should rather get a Mesa 1x12 "widebody" open back cab. This will only be used at home, and it might be a better choice for playing close to the amp, and not trying to project off a stage. Any opinions on this?

Anyway, this is how I Boogie...
VyiOz2W.jpg

You chose well. I have mine sitting on a 1x12 Recto Slant Cabinet but I also have a 2x12 Vertical Recto cabinet I can put it on. (Of course you already know it will go on anything you want.)

If it’s what you really wanted, then you’ll love it. I loved mine. If I hadn’t tried an Archon, I’d still have it.
I've had the Mark 5:25 for about 3-4 weeks now. Did a cab swap from a 2x12 closed back to the wide-body 1x12 open-back, and I really love this amp. As expected, quite a bit of knob twisting and sliding involved, but really not that hard to get fantastic (and varied) tones out of this little monster. @DreamTheaterRules - When looking up tone settings, I came across your old comments on the Boogie Board and TGP - made for some interesting/entertaining reading.:cool:

I built a little "master volume" box to put in the effects loop (like a JHS Little Black Amp Box) and that lets me crank the masters and then bring it back down to a manageable level - sounds killer. And the great thing about this amp - not everything needs to be a scooped V - 750 slightly boosted, 2200 pushed way high, and 6600Hz cut gives a super-thick mid-rangey tone. And ridiculously great cleans as well.

After getting to know this amp, I sold off a box of pedals (13 of them) - I have no interest in hearing anying but the pure tone of this amp. I've said it before and will say it again... PRS and Boogie are just meant to be played together.

P.S. I'm afraid to try an Archon... I don't want this honeymoon to be over. :D

I've had the Mark 5:25 for about 3-4 weeks now. Did a cab swap from a 2x12 closed back to the wide-body 1x12 open-back, and I really love this amp. As expected, quite a bit of knob twisting and sliding involved, but really not that hard to get fantastic (and varied) tones out of this little monster. @DreamTheaterRules - When looking up tone settings, I came across your old comments on the Boogie Board and TGP - made for some interesting/entertaining reading.:cool:

I built a little "master volume" box to put in the effects loop (like a JHS Little Black Amp Box) and that lets me crank the masters and then bring it back down to a manageable level - sounds killer. And the great thing about this amp - not everything needs to be a scooped V - 750 slightly boosted, 2200 pushed way high, and 6600Hz cut gives a super-thick mid-rangey tone. And ridiculously great cleans as well.

After getting to know this amp, I sold off a box of pedals (13 of them) - I have no interest in hearing anying but the pure tone of this amp. I've said it before and will say it again... PRS and Boogie are just meant to be played together.

P.S. I'm afraid to try an Archon... I don't want this honeymoon to be over. :D

I don’t want to ruin your honeymoon, but I sold my MkV to DTR after I got my Archon. He loved the MkV, until he got his Archon, and then sold my old MkV. I loved my Boogie, but I found that it was so much easier to dial in what I was looking for with the Archon.

I don’t want to ruin your honeymoon, but I sold my MkV to DTR after I got my Archon. He loved the MkV, until he got his Archon, and then sold my old MkV. I loved my Boogie, but I found that it was so much easier to dial in what I was looking for with the Archon.
I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!

(No, seriously, I can't hear you - that Boogie has seriously effed up my hearing. :eek:)

I have an Archon and a Mk III. They are just different sounds.

If you sold your Mk for an Archon, it's because they don't really cross over in sounds much and what you wanted was what the Archon delivers.

To me the Archon sounds like a Recto meets a JCM 900 (in the best possible way). But it's not making me not want the Boogies!

I have an Archon and a Mk III. They are just different sounds.

If you sold your Mk for an Archon, it's because they don't really cross over in sounds much and what you wanted was what the Archon delivers.

To me the Archon sounds like a Recto meets a JCM 900 (in the best possible way). But it's not making me not want the Boogies!

To be honest, I sold my MkV because I found it was easier to dial in what I was looking with the Archon than it was with the Boogie. Not that the Boogie was bad, just more work. I found that I dialed in what I “loved” one day, but it sounded totally different the next day. The Archon didn’t behave that way, for me. I found it less difficult to find what I was looking for with the Archon. I should add that I love Boogie tones. John Petrucci and Andy Timmons are two of my favorite players.

. @DreamTheaterRules - When looking up tone settings, I came across your old comments on the Boogie Board and TGP - made for some interesting/entertaining reading.:cool:
Oh boy.... :D

Anything in particular?

I will say, I was a big fan of the W eq, for an alternative to the usually suggested deep V. The W sounds different and very good. I wish I had heard mine (and my Mini Recto) through my Zbest cab!

And in another unlikely comparison, the Mark Five:35 is nothing like the Mark Five:25. Nothing.

What you talkin' bout, Willis? :D Interesting, because I love some of the added features of the 35 but figured it would be "more of the same" tonally, vs. the big glass/iron feel of the big Mark V. But, I'm interested to hear how you feel they are so far apart, and which you prefer.

What you talkin' bout, Willis? :D Interesting, because I love some of the added features of the 35 but figured it would be "more of the same" tonally, vs. the big glass/iron feel of the big Mark V. But, I'm interested to hear how you feel they are so far apart, and which you prefer.
I don’t own either, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I spent time with 11Top’s V:35 and another buddy’s 25...similar cabs and v30s. The 25 floated my boat very well, too well, in fact. Surprisingly, I found the 35 to be more MkIII-like, tonally. You’d think I’d love that, but there’s plenty about the MkIII that I spent years dialing out that I heard in the 35. The 25 seemed more warm and vintage. Maybe it’s where I set it? Rooms, maybe. But despite the beautiful copy 11Top got, I prefer the 25 by far.

Back