Archon 25 or...

Dirty_Boogie

Still got the ol' tagger on it
I'm in the market for a great rock/metal small amp for home, that I can also get great cleans as well. Not interested in the MT15, but the Archon 25 combo seems really appealing. The other amp I'm considering is a Boogie Mark V:25. I've always been a huge fan of the Mark series amps, and the V:25 packs a lot of variety in a small package. On the flip side, the simplicity of the Archon is appealing.

Anyone used/own both, and can give your own objective opinions?

Thanks.

I had a 25w Archon (I have a 50w head now), and a full size MkV. I sold the MkV when I got the Archon. There are a startling number of useable sounds in the Archon that are soooooo easy to dial in. The MkV, while a great amp, I felt had too many things to tweak to get where you were looking to go. @DreamTheaterRules has/had both as well. Hopefully he’ll chime in.

I have a Mk III Boogie and a Tri-Axis as well as the 100 watt Archon. I honestly haven't done much with the Boogies since I got the Archon about a year ago.

The Boogies are great when you get them dialed in just-so, but can be temperamental and it seems like the tone changes day to day without changing the knobs.

The Archon is just easier to get along with, and the clean channel is really remarkable.

As far as actual sounds go, I would say the Archon's tone is somewhere between A Boogie Mk IV, a Rectifier and a Marshall JCM, in a good way.

I had always thought of the Archon as a really modern metal amp, but was playing around with it, and cranking the gain back to about 1/4 and playing with the eq, I got a sound very reminiscent of the Iron Maiden Powerslave era.

I had always thought of the Archon as a really modern metal amp, but was playing around with it, and cranking the gain back to about 1/4 and playing with the eq, I got a sound very reminiscent of the Iron Maiden Powerslave era.
You're speaking my language! I have no desire for a modern dual rec metal tone. When I think metal tones... Maiden, Scorpions, 80s Metallica, etc. I will try to play an Archon and see if I can find the tones in my head.

You're speaking my language! I have no desire for a modern dual rec metal tone. When I think metal tones... Maiden, Scorpions, 80s Metallica, etc. I will try to play an Archon and see if I can find the tones in my head.
Don't be afraid to get crazy with the EQ, was just playing with it and found an interesting tone with the bass all the way down, bright switch off and treble up.

It's all going to depend on the guitar as well, my Tom Anderson-laden frankenstrat sounded more convincing than my old all-mahogany prs special with the HFS for Maiden tones.

I'm pretty sure the only way you are going to get to old school Metallica tones is a MkIIC+ (or maybe a JPIIC+). Actually, the Mk III can get pretty close, but it can be touch and go.

The Boogies are great when you get them dialed in just-so, but can be temperamental and it seems like the tone changes day to day without changing the knobs.
Why is this? I have a Mark III red stripe and a Mark IV B. Same happens to me.

My theory is that it has to do with whatever I’ve been listening to before turning the amp on. Since they have a distinctive “Mark” sound, it’s likely gonna be different than whatever came right before.

Why is this? I have a Mark III red stripe and a Mark IV B. Same happens to me.

My theory is that it has to do with whatever I’ve been listening to before turning the amp on. Since they have a distinctive “Mark” sound, it’s likely gonna be different than whatever came right before.

That's not a bad theory.

My guess is that they are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations, and the power coming into our houses is anything but consistent.

That's not a bad theory.

My guess is that they are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations, and the power coming into our houses is anything but consistent.
Maybe a better theory is: “as long as I’m listening to Dream Theater during the week, my Boogies sound just fine.”

On my Furman, I usually see something between 116 - 120V on any given day.

That's not a bad theory.

That is exactly what I surmised after owning a Mark V and Mark V25. I actually tried to test the theory, but my multimeter was bad. They are very well known for this. And while I won’t say my Archon sounds exactly the same every day, I don’t hear these “hit or miss” differences.

You’re hearing is different from day to day due to many factors, but I’ve never experienced differences to the level that the Mesa Mark amps have. And again, they are well known for it. I did not feel that way about my Mini Recto, TA15 or TA30. I have to say, that feeling that one day you had finally hit the “grail tone” that the Mark series amps are known for, only for it to be gone the next time you turned the amp on, is one reason I ended up selling them. And, it doesn’t mean they aren’t great amps. THEY ARE! But I can turn my Archon on and get great tones every single time, easily, quickly, and if I leave the dials there for a week it’s always the same! Plus, I like the tones even better. Same with my ATMA.

I have the 25 and the 100. Both are very broad sonically, great cleans, great crunch, great power. The 25 has different tubes than the 100 and has less gain but it is still a great amp. Play around with the impedence if you don't hear what you want.

After much deliberation, decided to go with the Mark Five:25. I'm sure the Archon 25 would have been a stellar purchase, but deep down I knew the Boogie was what I really wanted. Thanks all for your input.

After much deliberation, decided to go with the Mark Five:25. I'm sure the Archon 25 would have been a stellar purchase, but deep down I knew the Boogie was what I really wanted. Thanks all for your input.
If it’s what you really wanted, then you’ll love it. I loved mine. If I hadn’t tried an Archon, I’d still have it.

As a long time Boogie fan that also owns an Archon, I support this decision. Truth is, it's nice to have both. ;-)

I'm sure I'll own a PRS amp at some point, but a PRS and a Boogie are just meant to be.

And I got lucky with a cab. Was at GC a few nights ago to return something, and they had a used but mint condition Mesa Celestion-loaded 2x12 cab for a ridiculously low price. I thought to myself... that poor cab needs a head... and so it was done. :D

Got the little beast. Well... it's a beast! I can tell there are going to be so many tones to get out of this thing. Already found a few great settings, but work travel is getting in the way of playing.

One thing I'm trying to decide on... the cab. I have this 2x12 closed back cab with vintage 30's. It's a lot of cab, aiming at my knees. I'm wondering if I should rather get a Mesa 1x12 "widebody" open back cab. This will only be used at home, and it might be a better choice for playing close to the amp, and not trying to project off a stage. Any opinions on this?

Anyway, this is how I Boogie...
VyiOz2W.jpg

The horizontal recto cab is a great one. You can flip it on its side to raise it or remove the rear wheels to angle it up.
Yeah, I flipped it vertically, and while it looks kind of hokey that that, it sounds so much better. Still not as "open" and room-filling as an open-back cab, but definitely much better to my ears (I've never used a closed back cab in the past, so am getting used to the different characteristics of it.)

Not that it’s of much help, but my wee Mesa combo is open-backed (as you’d expect) and I use a close-backed 1x12 extension cab for projection. A kind of “best of both worlds” scenario.

Back