Archon 100 vs. Mesa TC100 vs. Mark V?

boardn10

I know we get tired of all these this amp vs that amp posts...but none of my stores carry these amps, and certainly not in the same store.

The other amp I considered and may still, is the Fryette SigX.

That said, I don't want anything too close to my current amps - Bogner 20th Anniversary Shiva (6CA7) and BFG modified Mesa Dual Rec. I like the ve both amps.

I always wanted a Bogner Uberschall but too exnsive. That's part of my attraction to the Archon, I hear Uber comparisons.

I want a big sounding amp that is thick and tight, but easy under the fingers. I like organic warmth when I can get it. Love that about Bogners.

Wptried the TC 100, will have a pot of similar British tones as my Shiva.

The Mark V I think the tweaking may drive me nuts.

I keep falling back to the Archon as my first choice and it takes pedals well like my Shiva!

I love amps that really punch you in thr gut, you really feel. My Mesa DR that is modified, does that!

Rich

Last edited:
Ok, here we go.....I had a MkV and then bought the Archon 25. At the time, I thought they were too similar in the way that I would use them. I sold the Archon and bought an HX/DA. I couldn’t really utilize that amp the way it needs to be, loud. I ended getting a great deal on a 50w Purple Archon head. I loved it from the day I got it. So much so that I sold my MkV to @DreamTheaterRules who was in the mood for the big version of the MkV. I gushed and gushed and gushed about how good the Archon was. So easy to dial in a great tone, that was consistent. By that, I mean I could have a sound I loved on the MkV today, but sounded like crap two days later. Endless twisting of knobs and flipping of switches to get something I liked. None of that with the Archon, and it’s not a one trick pony. I spewed so much love about it that DreamTheaterRules bought one, too. He ended up selling the MkV and now professes his undying love for the Archon. Just buy one. You won’t regret it.

Any time someone asks if it does more than high gain, I always post this video.

Thanks for your time and words!

I will buy an Archon 100 if I can get the right price. I can't spend the money in a new one. Still, not ruling out the SigX if I get the right deal or a TC100.

But I have two used Archon 100s I am talking about buying but the sellers haven't returned my messages.

I love that it seems like my Bogner Shiva in how simple it is to use and get great tones, still versatile and takes pedals well.

Thanks,
Rich

This ☝️Exactly!

Edit: well, you slipped your post in before mine. I’m pointing at Bodia’s post

Thanks guys. I'm working on getting one.
I can always replace the faceplate.
Trying to find a good deal on a used 100, not too old.

Looks like I may be SOL on an Archon. They keep selling bedore I can get one.
Most online are local pickup only.
I am curious if the newest black models are not made as well? Interesting they no like nger talking about the great build quality on the PRS site and I see new ones for as low as $2059.

Thanks for your time and words!

I will buy an Archon 100 if I can get the right price. I can't spend the money in a new one. Still, not ruling out the SigX if I get the right deal or a TC100.

But I have two used Archon 100s I am talking about buying but the sellers haven't returned my messages.

I love that it seems like my Bogner Shiva in how simple it is to use and get great tones, still versatile and takes pedals well.

Thanks,
Rich
My pleasure

Looks like I may be SOL on an Archon. They keep selling bedore I can get one.
Most online are local pickup only.
I am curious if the newest black models are not made as well? Interesting they no like nger talking about the great build quality on the PRS site and I see new ones for as low as $2059.
No worries on the newer ones.

No worries on the newer ones.
Thanks, how do you know?
I can't seem to get a used one. I tried a few times but they always fall thru.

I was going to take a stab at a TC100 for $1750 and I literally just missed buying it

Here is a question.
How is the Archon at lower volume? My Mesa DR I love but it has to be a certain volume to sound great. But with my Bogner, and the Egnater I had, and even my Empress pedal into clean, I can get great low volume tones. A lot of clubs require lower volumes now.
So in looking at the TC and Archon, low volume tones are important.

Unfortunately I have to consider low volume playing. Amps I have played that sounded amazing at almost a whisper are the Bogner 20th Anniversary amps, Fryette SigX, Mesa TC-100, Mesa Mark V and Egnater Mod 50. They are consistent.

How is the Archon at lower volumes?

Last edited:
The Mark V doesn’t have to be tweaked. The thing I like about mine is that I have 3 very different amp setups all the time. I tweaked a bit to get each to where I wanted it, but now mostly leave it alone. It’s probably my most versatile amp, but it isn’t my favourite.

My go to for my idealized tone is my Mark III.

MDT for crazy gain.

Kemper for anything else I don’t have room for.

Not that I would try to talk anybody out of an Archon. Just offering a counter to the tweaker black hole potential of the Mark V.

Here is a question.
How is the Archon at lower volume? My Mesa DR I love but it has to be a certain volume to sound great. But with my Bogner, and the Egnater I had, and even my Empress pedal into clean, I can get great low volume tones. A lot of clubs require lower volumes now.
So in looking at the TC and Archon, low volume tones are important.

Unfortunately I have to consider low volume playing. Amps I have played that sounded amazing at almost a whisper are the Bogner 20th Anniversary amps, Fryette SigX, Mesa TC-100, Mesa Mark V and Egnater Mod 50. They are consistent.

How is the Archon at lower volumes?
Best “big” amp that sounds awesome at bed room levels that I have ever owned. Those include:
MkV
PRS DG-30
PRS Custom 50
Bogner Atma (a close second)
too many more to list (Marshall, Fender and a bunch of solid state)

Best “big” amp that sounds awesome at bed room levels that I have ever owned. Those include:
MkV
PRS DG-30
PRS Custom 50
Bogner Atma (a close second)
too many more to list (Marshall, Fender and a bunch of solid state)
Thank you...
So the Mark V was better at lower volume than thr Archon or similar?

If I recall correctly, I had good tones at low volume when I played the V at a friend's.

No, I meant the Archon was the best.
Oh I wasn't sure cause in your post you listened the best you had for low volume and didn't mention the Archon. Thanks for clarifying. Appreciate!

So I should say this...

My current amps are a 20th Shiva that sound great but not quite what I need for this band. My BFG modified Dual Rec is like a sledgehammer in thr band.

I want another amp that gives that huge sledgehammer hit like the DR, but sounds different. I like options and want more than my Dual Rec for high gain.

I used to think it's the 100 watts but I think it's the amp character. My Shiva is just more polite and my Dual Rec is more aggressive. The PWE I had was also huge and punchy like my Dual Rec and that was 50 watts.

I hear the Archon is similar to a Bogner Uberschall which I always wanted.

It sounds like all the amps on my list will be good at home, but it needs to crush at rehearsal. Right now using my modified Dual Rec. Band mate has a Marshall DSL100.

I am still torn between the Archon 100 - Mark V 90 - TC-100. :(

Thank you!

So I talked to a friend tonight who is also my tech. He got to meet with the band Opeth and talked to the guitarists. The one used the Archon but mostly uses a MARSHALL JVM Satriani because he says it combines the warmth of the PRS with an aggressive punch more like a boogie.
We have sort of an Opeth heavy sound mixed with Slipknot and Tool! Lol.

Last edited:
So, I can't compare various 100 watt amps played wide open through 4x12 cabs a absurd volume levels. I have played my Mark V and Archon through 2 2x12 cabs, but never in a big open stage area. I've cranked them to silly levels, but not for long.

That said, the Recto's seem to have more punch than most amps. Big OT's, big bottom end in the circuit, and actually, not as much gain as people think, which helps with the punch (less compression). My Mark V would punch you with a 2x12, but it was not the gut punch I've heard from some rectos. And, my Archon is a 50 watt head so it won't punch like the 100. But with the bass and depth controls, you can make it thump you pretty good for a 50 watter. I'd imagine the 100 watt Archon would have the punch of almost anything else, within the confines of how you use it.

That said, I'd be surprised if a Marshall punched like a Recto. Most Marshalls don't have nearly the bottom end of some other amps (which is why they can be so crazy loud. They don't use up all their watts trying to be a bass amp. LOL) The Archon has more bottom end than any Marshall I've heard, but it also has more gain, so if you turn the gain way up it is going to compress more....punch less. IF by punch, you mean the open, uncompressed punch (see again, using withing the confines...)

If you turn the gain down on the Archon so that the pre-amp doesn't compress, it can punch pretty well. The thing I love about it though is you can turn the gain up to give you singing lead tones, but still have complete control over how tight or thundering the bottom is with the bass and depth controls.

Guess you just need to try one. Can't imagine you'd be disappointed. I've always wanted an Uberschall, but I too have heard the Archon often compared to it, which made me stop trying to buy one of them as they're twice the price and many like the clean channel better on the Archon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back