Archon 100 Linage

bmcisaac

Hello Everyone,

I was just watching Mike Solano on Tone Talk and they mentioned that the Mesa Dual Rectifier was a copy of the Soldano SLO preamp. Made me curious about the circuitry in the Archon as I've heard it being described as being Soldano/5150/Bogner-like. Was curious if anyone had looked at the Sewell schematics and be able to shed light on the linage of this great amp!

Thanks,
Blake

Hello Everyone,

I was just watching Mike Solano on Tone Talk and they mentioned that the Mesa Dual Rectifier was a copy of the Soldano SLO preamp. Made me curious about the circuitry in the Archon as I've heard it being described as being Soldano/5150/Bogner-like. Was curious if anyone had looked at the Sewell schematics and be able to shed light on the linage of this great amp!

Thanks,
Blake

The lore I’ve heard is that the Archon was the result of one of the PRS amp team members modifying a Custom 50 into a more high gain, heavy rock oriented circuit. Whether they did so with the influence of another circuit as well, I don’t know.

The lore I’ve heard is that the Archon was the result of one of the PRS amp team members modifying a Custom 50 into a more high gain, heavy rock oriented circuit. Whether they did so with the influence of another circuit as well, I don’t know.
I would agree with this. I had both at the same time. I thought they could be cousins. The Archon is still here.

Back