Archon 100 6L6 tube went out causing the 3rd gain stage cap to go out. NO volume!

Deedsoftommy

I ♡ chip's n' salsa.
So I was practicing on the lead channel and then the volume went down as if I was hearing it through headphones on low volume. One of the middle 6L6 tubes was burned out. So I bought new set. Popped them in. Checked the bias and same thing. No volume. I then checked the preamp tubes and bought 2 more 12ax7's to place in the lead channel tube sockets and nothing. I then sent it to a local music shop in hopes of having them fix it so I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of shipping. Two weeks later I'm told it was fix. Turned out that two solder joints weren't fully soldered as I am told but who knows. I take it home and same thing lol. Really low volume on lead channel. I'd have to turn on to 3/4 full to get a decent bedroom volume on my Archon 100 watt and thats kinda scary considering I only go up to 1/4 volume for bedroom use. I finally ship it to PRS and get it back working as it should. This whole process left me without an amp for a month and a half. Kinda wish I had a backup amp just for this reason.

"I then sent it to a local music shop in hopes of having them fix it so I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of shipping. Two weeks later I'm told it was fix. Turned out that two solder joints weren't fully soldered as I am told but who knows. I take it home and same thing lol."

So you're out the amp for two weeks and the same thing?...I would be pissed off beyond belief.

So you're out the amp for two weeks and the same thing?...I would be pissed off beyond belief.

I might not be pissed, but I'd sure be disappointed. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised. Local electronics repair shops in my area have screwed up a couple of my amps.

Fortunately, I haven't had any issues with an amp for about ten years, so I haven't had to face that conundrum, but at this point I'd send an amp needing repair back to the factory.

"I then sent it to a local music shop in hopes of having them fix it so I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of shipping. Two weeks later I'm told it was fix. Turned out that two solder joints weren't fully soldered as I am told but who knows. I take it home and same thing lol."

I actually was out of an amp for 6 weeks lol. 2 weeks before I sent it to the local shop. 2 weeks at the shop. Then 2 weeks at the PRS factory. Ouch!

I feel your pain. My Archon 25 has been gone now starting the 3rd week. Two weeks at the local shop, then onto PRS late last week. Will see what they say. Lead channel sounds like a waterfall. Shop said it was the pre and power sections with issues. Sent it forward to PRS. Amp was made in Oct 2014 and has less than 8 hours total on it.

I feel your pain. My Archon 25 has been gone now starting the 3rd week. Two weeks at the local shop, then onto PRS late last week. Will see what they say. Lead channel sounds like a waterfall. Shop said it was the pre and power sections with issues. Sent it forward to PRS. Amp was made in Oct 2014 and has less than 8 hours total on it.
Made Oct 2014? Did u get it from Zzounds.com? Those Archon heads go quick. Not to sure about the Archon combo's. They may sit around...

Back