Apprehensive on buying a tube amp

Everyone is different, but for me it's pretty simple. PRS "H", a cable, and a McSoapy. Does just about everything I need to do. You can get the "H" for about $800 used and still have room for a pedal of some kind later if you wanted one. The only pedal I would ever need would be a delay ... maybe. I actually have 2 but rarely use them.
Well I'm considering at the moment a MT15, a Sonzera, a line 6 pod go, a orange micro dark terror, a fender champ X2 head and cab and maybe a PRS H

Well I'm considering at the moment a MT15, a Sonzera, a line 6 pod go, a orange micro dark terror, a fender champ X2 head and cab and maybe a PRS H

So, as my post indicates, of the ones you listed, the "H" would be my suggestion. It's all you need. A very versatile voice and lots of headroom.

I mean 670 in total, not a bad deal, plus you get everything bundled in. I mean, is it worth it to buy before I buy a tube amp? Just so I can find what I like and buy the actual thing? Thanks

I think it's worth it, gives you a ton of options to check out at a reasonable price.

A modeler will also let you have the same sound at a variety of volumes. Might be important as a kid and when you leave home.

You might also find that you don’t have to spend every bit of your limited disposable income chasing pedals.

Oh, and regarding no midrange control....I like my amps better that way. Often there is a fixed resistor that affects the kids as you work the other EQ controls. Fender use to use a fixed 6.8k resistor for the kids. Bad Cat, Matchless, and Vox sound amazing without mid controls. Obviously an EQ pedal is an option, but don't discount the sonic goodness of a two knob EQ

Oh, and regarding no midrange control....I like my amps better that way. Often there is a fixed resistor that affects the kids as you work the other EQ controls. Fender use to use a fixed 6.8k resistor for the kids. Bad Cat, Matchless, and Vox sound amazing without mid controls. Obviously an EQ pedal is an option, but don't discount the sonic goodness of a two knob EQ

Spelldork strikes again. :D

Oh, and regarding no midrange control....I like my amps better that way. Often there is a fixed resistor that affects the mids as you work the other EQ controls. Fender use to use a fixed 6.8k resistor for the mids. Bad Cat, Matchless, and Vox sound amazing without mid controls. Obviously an EQ pedal is an option, but don't discount the sonic goodness of a two knob EQ
My 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb has this iirc

Yeah, I nicknamed spell check “spelldork” because of all the times it’s changed my words like that. I know you were saying “mids” and spelldork changed it to “kids”.

The funniest, one time at TGP, I typed “spelldork” because it had changed my words to something NOT what I said, and when I said “spelldork got me again” it changed “spelldork” to “spellcheck!” :rolleyes: Like big brother won’t even let me make fun of him! :mad:

I love tube amps.

They have a different feel, they sound like tube amps instead of "Gee, this is almost like a tube amp," and as you surely know from looking at all kinds of amps, there are plenty of tube amps over 60 years old that still work great, sound great, and perform as well as they ever did. They're pretty bulletproof things that were built in the days when you didn't throw out an amp (or any electronic appliance) that wasn't working, you put new tubes in it or had it repaired.

Today's ModelerGizmo Version 3 is tomorrow's doorstop when they come out with 'New, improved, almost sounds like tubes Modeler Version 4'. Granted, the modeler is lighter. Granted, it has a zillion, almost-there sounds available. Some people don't mind the sonic differences between modelers and tube amps, some do, and some play through both.

If I still gigged regularly, I'd experiment with a modeler to save weight dragging gear around, but I'd never, ever record something important using one. I've been there, tried that, wasn't happy. As an aside, I've recorded shootouts of real mic preamps versus the UAD-equipped mic preamp models that came with my recording gear, posted the recordings online elsewhere, and not one person disagreed that the real transformer-equipped mic preamps sounded different from the modeled versions, or even said they couldn't hear the difference.

That's because there are differences, because digits don't saturate quite the same way as physical transformers, etc.

Notice, I'm not saying the real hardware is somehow better, because better is a personal preference, so I use the term, 'different'.

PRSfanboy, I like that you're so open to learning and curious about all this stuff! Stay that way. Your curiosity and passion will serve you well throughout your life.

I think it's worth knowing the difference between plugging into a modeler of some sort and an actual tube amp. If they have the modeler at your GC, go online and see what tube amps they have in stock that you might have interest in. Play both at whatever volume you think you'll play at home.

My first venture into tube amps was a Valvetronix series modeling amp made by VOX. Mostly a solid state amp but it also had one tube in it. Yes, just ONE tube.

I'll spare you the long story but that 100 watt head was capable of some amazing things and there were times where I found myself struggling to replicate one of my specific favorite tones out of my $4000.00 amps which was able to get out of that $300.00 amp. I think an amp like that is a fantastic introduction into the world of tube amps and they are VERY affordable.

(Example for illustration purposes only)
https://reverb.com/item/35870707-vox-valvetronix-ad100vth-head

What style of music?

Honestly I love all types of music. Metal, jazz, blues, rock etc....

Another reason I’d vote for a modeler. I also agree about Headrush FRFR active speakers, except I’d get the 112 if your going for just one (they’re both really good though).

Back