Apologies

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 5962

I'd like to apologize to whomever I've offended with the thread I started yesterday. I was reading the "4000 posts about nothing" thread. I thought a funny idea would be to post what we thought various members of the forum would say when they met each other. In the 4000 posts thread, I think there were 7-8 times in the first page alone, where someone here was mentioned by name. My idea was, instead of put them in a story, imagine what various people would say to each other when they met in person. I planned to work many more people into the store as it developed and other guys played along.

Somehow, what I said or the way I said it was so offensive that the very first post called it out. CP got involved before I could even post a couple comments they'd make to each other to get the ball rolling, and make it clear what I was doing, but he was obviously on board... Before I could even check back, the thread had offended enough people to get reported and shut down before it even got on track to what it was supposed to be. I re-read my OP last night. I guess when your mind is completely thinking one way and about doing something you think is funny, sometimes you have a hard time understanding how people could misunderstand you so much. Like starting to tell a joke and getting cut off before anyone even knows that the joke is about.

But, clearly it bothered people, so whether I get it or not, I AM SORRY.

I've been spending a little too much time here and gotten a little too comfortable. My apologies for that as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries. I didn't see it so I can't be offended. :)

For those who might have been, there's always forgiveness. Forgiveness is for the forgiver, not the forgiven.

Guys,

Thanks for having Howie's back. We sometimes lose sight of what is important in life, and Howie was merely trying to connect us together with a group of virtual chance meetings. Although I don't know why the post was shut down, perhaps if it were refereed with compassion and kind correction, the posts might have been well-received. I dunno. I just hope we can all move forward...:)

I read it and didn’t really see anything too bad....I saw the humorous side of it, but I know it’s sometimes hard to convey humor or sarcasm when typing.
Been there,done that on another forum ha ha.

I didn't read the post either. But, knowing you and your sense of humor (as deeply twisted as it can be) there was absolutely no harm intended, by any stretch of the imagination.

Some people tend to have a hard time digesting my "dry wit". Trust me...I'm as shocked as you are.

I for one, love making people laugh...however, sometimes it backfires...feelings get hurt and I get labeled as a "sarcastic a$$hole":eek:. When my only intent is to make people laugh or stir up a little banter...okay...or spew a beverage or two thru their nose once in a while, if I'm honest:rolleyes:. So If that earns me the aforementioned moniker...so be it. Im totally okay with that.

You just do DTR and let it roll off your back bro...ya gotta cause I'm clearly the only replacement up in here that can pull off a Speedo like you do and I haven't had my yearly body waxing...in like 5 years .:eek:

Nothin but love for ya bro! ;)

Last edited:
If you don’t offend someone at least once in a while maybe you have been playing it too safe. Evolution means among other thing that some skins have gotten thinner.

Yeah, exactly THIS!

I'd like to apologize to whomever I've offended with the thread I started yesterday. I was reading the "4000 posts about nothing" thread. I thought a funny idea would be to post what we thought various members of the forum would say when they met each other. In the 4000 posts thread, I think there were 7-8 times in the first page alone, where someone here was mentioned by name. My idea was, instead of put them in a story, imagine what various people would say to each other when they met in person. I planned to work many more people into the store as it developed and other guys played along.

Somehow, what I said or the way I said it was so offensive that the very first post called it out. CP got involved before I could even post a couple comments they'd make to each other to get the ball rolling, and make it clear what I was doing, but he was obviously on board... Before I could even check back, the thread had offended enough people to get reported and shut down before it even got on track to what it was supposed to be. I re-read my OP last night. I guess when your mind is completely thinking one way and about doing something you think is funny, sometimes you have a hard time understanding how people could misunderstand you so much. Like starting to tell a joke and getting cut off before anyone even knows that the joke is about.

I've been spending a little too much time here and gotten a little too comfortable. My apologies for that as well.

It may not of been anything you said or intended with the post. The sentiment and intention you had may not of been shared by others and a post like that could get out of hand. Again not necessarily anything you said or did but for the potential to upset and/or use something like this to degenerate into personal attacks may have been the reason it got shut down. I don't know if anyone was actually offended but maybe the Mod shut down before it got that far.

Personally, I don't know why it was shut down or if you really need to apologise to anyone. Like I said, its could be just because of the potential to offend if its naming people. If anyone was offended though, I hope they are satisfied with your apology and we can all get back to talking about and drooling over more guitars...

I get it. The written word can be interpreted in meaning quite differently than intended by the writer. I posted the other day and immediately messaged the party I was poking fun at. I offered to take my post down. Fortunately, he took it in the fun meaning I intended and even responded back with a good insult. :cool:

We have a good bunch of guys on this Forum!

Last edited:
I get it. The written word can be interpreted in meaning quite different than intended by the writer. I posted the other day and immediately messaged the party I was poking fun at. I offered to take my post down. Fortunately, he took it in the fun meaning I intended and even responded back with a good insult. :cool:

We have a good bunch of guys on this Forum!

Aaand exactly this!

I didn't see it. I started to read the op of that thread, and it was stupid so, I just moved on

You cannot offend me. DK/DC if you got around to adding me to your little...whatever the hell you were doing. First thing I would say to anybody here IRL

Hey, what's up? I'm Jason.

This is the problem with the world these days. Everybody's offended by every little thing.

I wrote another long explanation response last night. But then a wise man said to me (this time it really happened) that right or wrong, when trouble happens on the internet, the best thing to do is let it go. It’s the internet. No amount of explaining or justifying is going to make things better. At this point, nothing you say will change anyone’s mind. I almost deleted it but that’s lame. So what I WISH would happen is that there would be no further comments in this thread, so it can slide down the page, then off the first page, and be forgotten about.

I wrote another long explanation response last night. But then a wise man said to me (this time it really happened) that right or wrong, when trouble happens on the internet, the best thing to do is let it go. It’s the internet. No amount of explaining or justifying is going to make things better. At this point, nothing you say will change anyone’s mind. I almost deleted it but that’s lame. So what I WISH would happen is that there would be no further comments in this thread, so it can slide down the page, then off the first page, and be forgotten about.

Maybe ask the Mod to 'end' this thread and perhaps delete it. With it gone, things can move on much quicker (because the thread and comments are no longer possible) and the whole thing can be dropped (out of sight, out of mind). Without the 'offending' (for want of a better word) post, an apology is all that's keeping that 'alive'. I believe it would make more sense if Apologies were kept private - a direct apologetic personal message to the person offended from the offender is all that is necessary in my opinion and doesn't need the rest of the Forum being involved, maybe taking sides unnecessarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back