AP Custom 24-08 - The interminable wait.....IS OVER!!

dcm_guitar

There are details in this thread: https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/prs-custom-24-08-thread.40087/page-4

The TL/DR is I ordered my artist package Custom 24-08 a little over two years ago. It has honestly been a long wait where I have been patient, then VERY impatient, then "whiny" and finally I reached a state of acceptance.

I decided to consolidate everything into this thread because the guitar is scheduled to arrive at the dealer on Friday. I have a FedEx tracking number!!!!

So , the background is that as soon as the 24-08 was released I knew I wanted one. I spoke with my dealer, and the new 2018 dealer catalog had just arrived. We both saw that the artist package for the 24-08 included two "must haves" for me: the solid rosewood neck and copperhead burst. I immediately ordered it. This was in November of 2017.

Initially I was told to expect a 6 to 8 month wait. At the end of 8 months I was told to wait longer, but given no details. After a year I was again told a longer wait but given no details. Finally, my dealer received a letter from PRS apologizing for the delay and saying the guitar would arrive no later than July 2019. Obviously, that didn't happen.

It looks like the delay has been caused by three factors I THINK (this is equal parts conjecture on my oart as well as things PRS has shared with my dealer. Do NOT take this as 100% factual since I already said there is some conjecture on my part:

1. John Mayer - The Silver Sky popularity seems to have caught PRS a little off guard, and the orders came in much higher than they expected. This caused them to have to re-align some production schedules and my guitar (and many others) got pushed back in the production schedule. This is one of those "good" problems. Honestly, I'm thrilled PRS got this kind of response even if it did push back my guitar's delivery date.
  2. The solid rosewood neck - Evidently, dealing with solid rosewood and solid maple necks versus the mahogany creates production issues. There are a limited number of CNC machines used for the rosewood necks and there needs to be enough production demand to justify taking the machine off line and re-configuring it for rosewood (conjecture on my part). This seems to be somewhat confirmed by PRS REMOVING the solid rosewood neck option from the 2019 Artist Package. Since my guitar was ordered in 2017 as a 2018 model, the honored the specs and built it with the solid rosewood neck.
  3. My dealer said they heard that getting Artist Grade wood was difficult in 2019. Evidently PRS has plenty of non 10-top and 10-top wood and they have the PS vault well stocked, but were running low on Artist Grade wood. Supposedly they sent back an order or two of wood because it wasn't up to PRS standards. I am merely repeating what I heard and do not claim that this is fact.
Whatever the reasons, my guitar got pushed back several times in the production cycle.

I've received a few in-process photos. I saw the neck and body separated. I saw pics of the guitar with the body and neck joined and stained, but not finished. I saw pics of the finished guitar without electronics. Every photo has been thoroughly stunning.

I don't know how many Artist Package Custom 24-08 solid rosewood neck, copperhead burst guitars PRS has made, but I would guess it's less than 5. This one is definitely going to be relatively rare.

So, it's Tuesday and I should finally have the guitar after 103 Fridays. The 104th Friday looks to be a good day!!!

Once I get my grubby little hands on it, I'll post photos. I've been working on a new piece of music and have decided to use this guitar to record it. I'll take a swipe at posting a video of the instrument as well. It may take a few days to get the video done.

Stay tuned!!!!!!!

How exciting! Man, I've been following this since the first thread you mentioned in your post....so glad the time has finally come around.

Waiting sucks, for sure (and your's, without a doubt, is the longest I've heard of anybody having to wait). But once you get that shipping notification and have that tracking info....I don't know, I kinda get a little rush off of it. I'm usually in a state of euphoria as I anticipate the guitar arriving. I could only imagine how amplified that feeling would be after waiting two years for it.

Congrats, buddy, so glad to hear your wait is just about over!

Dude! So glad you decided to stick it out. After all, good things come to those who wait. And, we all waited with you. Feel your pain at the entire ordeal, but happy that this journey is just about complete! Play it in good health!

Wow! Hope the guitar arrives safe and sound and it’s everything you want it to be. Big fan of the RW necks myself. I’ve yet to see a Copperhead burst top that didn’t look stunning. Look forward to seeing your NGD thread!

A quick update......The guitar was shipped from PRS early in the week. My dealer gave me the FedEx tracking number, so I was able to follow it as it crossed the country. All across the country, the delivery date stayed consistent as 12/6 (this past Friday). On Friday, the FedEx site said there were no more data updates available. The guitar was in Southern California. It was not delivered on Friday, and then on Saturday the FedEx website finally updated the data and changed the predicted delivery date to Tuesday, 12/10.

The wait continues.......

A quick update......The guitar was shipped from PRS early in the week. My dealer gave me the FedEx tracking number, so I was able to follow it as it crossed the country. All across the country, the delivery date stayed consistent as 12/6 (this past Friday). On Friday, the FedEx site said there were no more data updates available. The guitar was in Southern California. It was not delivered on Friday, and then on Saturday the FedEx website finally updated the data and changed the predicted delivery date to Tuesday, 12/10.

Ugh!

I would just light myself on fire at this point.

I know.

The FedEx website just updated saying it should be delivered to the dealer today (Monday). I have an after work event I have to attend tonight so I won't be able pick it up today. It looks like tomorrow will still be the day.

That's an awful cough I'm hearing across the keyboard: maybe you should take some sick leave, go home (by way of ...) and let music sooth the savage beast. ;)

Gaaaaaaahhhhhh!!

You must have the patience of a saint.
I'm actually insanely impatient. If you search some of my really early posts, I get VERY upset with PRS due to the delay on this instrument and the lack of communication. In the end, getting upset didn't change anything other than my blood pressure. This has been a good lesson.

I'll have the guitar tomorrow.......assuming the FedEx truck doesn't get in an accident.

Okay, another update before actual photos......

I have the guitar! I had a work related event last night that I had to attend, so I couldn't go to the dealer and get the guitar. Last night, when I got home I found out my wife had gone to the dealer and picked the instrument up before they closed! I haven't had a lot of time with it, but do have some initial impressions:
  • It's every bit as beautiful as I hoped. The finish is superb and the top REALLY looks like an Artist Package top. The solid rosewood neck feels amazing. I am definitely glad I opted for it. The order happened so long ago, I didn't remember what neck carve I ordered. It's a Pattern Thin neck. This gives the guitar a really modern feel. This guitar feels completely different than anything else I have, and I really like that. The fretboard is Brazilian Rosewood and has a really cool looking, almost "smokey" grain pattern. Visually the guitar checks all the boxes.
  • It's HEAVY. I haven't weighed it, but it's dense. I knew it would be heavy with the solid rosewood neck, but even with that expectation it's a darn heavy guitar.
  • I've only played it plugged in for about an hour. Also, I've only played two other 2408s so don't have a lot of things to compare it to directly. It sounds....amazing. The things that jump to my ear initially is the amount of clarity when using distortion. Even with a decent amount of gain, you can really hear each individual string and tone within the chord. This instrument has a LOT more definition than any of my other instruments. I also have an AP HBII with 5708s that I thought was really clear sounding, but compared to this 24-08 it isn't.
  • These 8515 pickups are quite a bit hotter than anything else I have, so I'm going to have to play with amp settings to get used to them.
  • The other thing that jumped out is the clean sound of the bridge pickup in single coil mode. It's as bright and jangly as my American Deluxe Tele. I'm actually selling my Tele (and I REALLY like that guitar) to help fund this purchase, and knowing that I can still get that Tele jangle/sparkle sound makes this easier to bear.
I plan to leave work early today so I can get some quality time with the new instrument. I also bought a new Anderson guitar a few weeks ago, so I have two new ones in my collection to play with. I'll get some photos of this new PRS and some "family" photos as well.

If there's interest, I'll make some recordings. I have a new piece of music I'm playing with and plan to experiment with different tones and sounds using this guitar as I try to figure out how this song should sound. Let me know if anyone wants me to post these.

Thanks, and look out for some pics in the next couple of days.....

Nice! I really liked the 85/15s when I tried them very briefly on the 30th anniversary C24 run - and I love RW necks!

Back