Anyone with Quilter experience

Frank McNerney

Shoitza
A few nights ago I saw a guy playing jazz standards on a Quilter amp. (Clean tones, obviously). I'd never heard of them before but it sounded pretty good so I looked them up.

I think it was a Micropro model. Aside from the great tones my other comment is the control panel is crazy busy.

I,m curious if anyone has any experience with them, thoughts, opinions?
Thanks

Quilters are by far the best solid-state amps I've ever experienced. I've got a 101 Mini Reverb mounted into a 1x10 Block Dock speaker cab and it's an excellent little home-amp option (could probably use live, too). Yes, I also have some very nice tube amps, but the Quilter stuff is legitimately good--there should be no "solid-state-amp shame" around them.

I have an Aviator Mach 3 head I use with a mesa c90 speaker. It works and sounds really good at any volume. I use it mainly as a backup amp and for gigs requiring lower volumes.

I have an Interblock 45 and a Superblock US. Both are great examples of solid state sound. The cleans are great, and the Superblock does a good job of getting the ‘flavor’ of the amps it is trying to sound like at reasonable sound levels. The US also has a decent cab sim and DI out that I’ve used. Neither one gives me the smiles hat I get from my tweed deluxe or Vibrolux, but they are great in their own way. Speaker choice is key.

I've had a Quilter Cub for over a year but I'm not in a band right now so have only been able to play it at home. I get an occasional chance to crank it a bit when the folks are all out. It can be quite hard to dial in because there are three inputs (which can be combined) for different Fender amp sounds, active EQ and a limiter. Balancing the limiter and the gain is crucial to get the right tones for you. Once you've got the hang of it it can produce some awesome tones. If you're into edge-of-breakup sounds you can really dial it in to get exactly what you're after. I've mainly played my Teles through it but a couple of days ago I revisited my Bernie with Abraxas pickups. I've never heard this guitar sound so sweet. I can get all the clean and overdrive sounds I want just by messing with the guitar's volume controls.

Last edited:
Back