Anyone watching this????

On DVR, but haven't had a chance to watch any of it yet. I'm looking forward to it up through the 70s, but it'll get sketchy for me after that.

As a fan of old school country, I've been anxiously awaiting this program. Ken Burns is one of the foremost documentary film makers in the world, so my expectations were high. It has not disappointed.

As a fan of old school country, I've been anxiously awaiting this program. Ken Burns is one of the foremost documentary film makers in the world, so my expectations were high. It has not disappointed.

Good to hear. I grew up listening to the old school stuff - Johnny Cash is the reason I picked up a guitar (so you all know who to blame). My grandmother played a lot of Buck Owens, Hee Haw was a fixture on TV, my guitar teacher gave me a bunch of Hank Williams songs to work with. And Ken Burns is a master. So my expectations were high, and it sounds like it doesn't disappoint.

Cool! I am recording it, so I'll watch it once it's run its course. I think I have everything on DVD that Ken has ever done. Really enjoy his work.

Cool! I am recording it, so I'll watch it once it's run its course. I think I have everything on DVD that Ken has ever done. Really enjoy his work.

I believe you can binge watch it on PBS online as well.
Good to hear. I grew up listening to the old school stuff - Johnny Cash is the reason I picked up a guitar (so you all know who to blame). My grandmother played a lot of Buck Owens, Hee Haw was a fixture on TV, my guitar teacher gave me a bunch of Hank Williams songs to work with. And Ken Burns is a master. So my expectations were high, and it sounds like it doesn't disappoint.

He takes his time telling the stories of the Carter Family, Jimmy Rogers and the like. It's interesting to hear how the songs are woven through the fabric of the people. Even if you don't like country music, the chronicle is still interesting from a historical perspective.

I missed the first episode, but caught last nights. I'm not a huge country fan, but I am a Burns fan and I grew up on Hee Haw, and listening to the Grand Ole Opry in the truck on the way home from Grandma's house on Saturday nights. I can still remember the ads, "folks, go get yourself some Martha White, self rising flour" and "Go get a Goo Goo, it's good!" They didn't even sell Goo Goo's in our area, but d@mmit I wanted one!

Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Charlie Pride, Buck Owens, George Jones, Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins, and Johnny Horton, among others, were the folks that were played in our house. Buck Owens and especially Don Rich were a real influence on me wanting to play guitar. I've always wanted a silver metal flake Tele, still do, and I'm not that big of a fan of Tele's to begin with! Later in his life, my Dad got way into bluegrass, but that was a bridge too far for me.

I missed an opportunity to see Johnny and June out in Reno at the Nugget back in 1997 while we were on vacation. We talked about going, and my wife told me we should go as they weren't getting any younger, but we were leaving the next morning and were totally wore out from exploring the area and I made the decision not to go. I still regret it...

While logically it shouldn't be, it is kinda amazing how big an influence black muscians and the the blues had on those early performers and I'm thrilled to see Burns give it the attention it deserves.

I haven't watched any of it yet. But I'm recording it. As others have said I am also a big Ken Burns fan. The two guys that I jam with weekly are far more country fan than I. If they don't catch it (I should have given them a heads up!) I'll burn it to DVD for them.

I missed an opportunity to see Johnny and June out in Reno at the Nugget back in 1997 while we were on vacation. We talked about going, and my wife told me we should go as they weren't getting any younger, but we were leaving the next morning and were totally wore out from exploring the area and I made the decision not to go. I still regret it...

I missed Johnny a couple times here, but it wasn't by choice, I didn't know he was going to be here. My first concert was The Johnny Cash Show - Cash, Carl Perkins, The Statler Brothers, The Carter Family (with Mother Maybelle, I believe), and June Carter Cash. April 1971. I didn't get to see him again until 1986 at Wolf Trap in VA. As I said, my grandmother was a big fan of his as well, and for years she asked me to take her to see him. I found out one January that he would be in Salem, OH that summer. She was hesitant because she was having some minor health problems, but my wife and I decided the tix were cheap enough that we just bought them anyway. He performed at Farm Aid that day and choppered in to Ohio. At this place, they let you parade in front of the stage so everyone could get a close view and take pictures. My wife walked up with my grandmother, and she was just thrilled. All the way home she talked about how "Johnny Cash looked right at me!" I was thrilled after years of her asking that I was able to do that. And then he turned around and came to Pittsburgh about two months later, so we did it all again. He did a book signing that same day, so I finally got to meet my idol and thank him for inspiring me to pick up a guitar. And I made him laugh, too. The only way the thing could have been better is if I got a picture with him.

I missed the first episode, but caught last nights. I'm not a huge country fan, but I am a Burns fan and I grew up on Hee Haw, and listening to the Grand Ole Opry in the truck on the way home from Grandma's house on Saturday nights. I can still remember the ads, "folks, go get yourself some Martha White, self rising flour" and "Go get a Goo Goo, it's good!" They didn't even sell Goo Goo's in our area, but d@mmit I wanted one!

Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Charlie Pride, Buck Owens, George Jones, Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins, and Johnny Horton, among others, were the folks that were played in our house. Buck Owens and especially Don Rich were a real influence on me wanting to play guitar. I've always wanted a silver metal flake Tele, still do, and I'm not that big of a fan of Tele's to begin with! Later in his life, my Dad got way into bluegrass, but that was a bridge too far for me.

While logically it shouldn't be, it is kinda amazing how big an influence black muscians and the the blues had on those early performers and I'm thrilled to see Burns give it the attention it deserves.

While my dad had the Johnny Cash at Folsom and Live at San Quentin albums, I was raised on rock & roll. I mocked country music and made fun of it as a teenager. As with many of us who discover the classics, I got into old school country through the back door. Guys I listened to would reference the folks who came before them and after doing my own research, I found my way back to the root. I have to give credit to guys like Joe Ely, David Grissom, Joe Henry, Charlie Sexton, The Jayhawks and others for opening the door to country music for me.

While my dad had the Johnny Cash at Folsom and Live at San Quentin albums, I was raised on rock & roll. I mocked country music and made fun of it as a teenager. As with many of us who discover the classics, I got into old school country through the back door. Guys I listened to would reference the folks who came before them and after doing my own research, I found my way back to the root. I have to give credit to guys like Joe Ely, David Grissom, Joe Henry, Charlie Sexton, The Jayhawks and others for opening the door to country music for me.

Well, you are way younger than me. Prettier, too. Now I'm trying to remember why I like you...

Was able to watch the 1st installment of Country Music, and waiting for the 2nd. Looking forward to hearing about Hank Williams, and the subsequent Grand Ol' Opry as it evolved since the end of WWII.

I think Country Music has made great strides in its journey through history, and am looking forward to viewing the baby boomer generation's time with the music. It'll be interesting to see how country music changes with the 60's and 70's, and what direction it takes following that.

Although I usually don't listen to country music that often myself, I still need to face that fact that country music is a part of modern history, the same manner rock music evolved for people today.

Spoiler alert: Episode 3

I had no idea there was so much bad blood in the Bluegrass community between Bill Monroe/Flatt & Scruggs/Stanley Brothers.

It was terrible. Flatt & Scruggs refused to use Stanley tools. The Stanley brothers refused to watch “Too Close For Comfort” because of the character Monroe. And Monroe ate with his bare hands rather than “ever let that damnable Flatt ware ever touch my hands again” (he was not the most literate man).

It was terrible. Flatt & Scruggs refused to use Stanley tools. The Stanley brothers refused to watch “Too Close For Comfort” because of the character Monroe. And Monroe ate with his bare hands rather than “ever let that damnable Flatt ware ever touch my hands again” (he was not the most literate man).

Man, that "Too Close For Comfort" reference was a stretch, but a good stretch

Back