Anyone using Locking Studs on their Stoptail?

Yes. Made a difference on two, don't know on the other because it came to me that way and I've felt no need to change.
The guitar that came to me with the TonePros locking studs, a Korina McC Soap, seemed have have noticeably longer sustain characteristics and slightly more string tension than my other Korina McC w 5708s, all unplugged. Wondered if there was a connection, but I first put the Schroeder locking studs on an already solid guitar, an SC245. Did not notice a sustain change (it was hardly lacking) or tonal difference, but tension increased slightly and the bridge stays put if I take all strings off (rare).

I recently put TonePros locking studs on my other Korina McCarty. Same slight reset of string tension, and this time there was a noticeable increase in apparent sustain unplugged...one of those things you notice if you really know a particular guitar well. I really did not detect overt tonal or timbral changes, and also no real changes in "attack".

Preference: Not really. The Schroeders may have been easier to adjust, but the TonePros look like direct replacements and feel a little better if your palm rests on one when playing.

I'm a TonePro's fan, user, owner and slappy.

I feel they are the best solution to locking your intonation and yes - in most cases actually increase sustain. Just a common sense upgrade IMHO. YMMV.

Cool! Thanks for the detailed feedback tdarian, and Scott - definitely sounds like a simple and common sense upgrade. Makes me almost wonder why it isn't something standard or optional on PRS stoptail, since as mentioned here, at the very least, it keeps the tailpiece in place if you wanna whip all the strings off in a hurry and put new ones on.

So it seems tone wise YMMV, but sustain wise there is a difference. Will be interesting as my first adaptation will be onto my Artist V, which already sustains like a piano when not plugged in, it is so loud acoustically that it is my go-to guitar to play when just noodling around un-amplified in front of the tv or wherever.

I used them a lot back in the 90's, they make string changes a helluva lot easier and they so seem to make guitars feel a little more lively. There's a sonic trade off to me though. IMHO they add a little more "presence" and articulation to the sound of the guitar, which some people may like and some people may not. I may add them to a couple of my McCarty soapbars, but I don't care for that sort of sound on my humbucker-based guitars. I prefer a somewhat darker, more midrange-focused sound from those instruments. Hope that helps.

The new PRS studs on my P22 fit much tighter than the older studs and with the ribbon attached to the bottom of the bridge, the bridge hardly moves when I remove all of the strings, so I'm not planning on using TonePros on this guitar. It's just fine the way it is!
tfancil

I've never tried them on a PRS but I really liked them on my R9 and R4. A bit more sustain and there was a greater presence of notes in chords with some complexity/dissonance - maj7, 9/11/13, etc. - particularly with more gain.

It is a fairly inexpensive and fully reversable experiment if you want to get a set and try them and see if they please your ears. Plus, you get to engage in a favorite male activity....fixing what ain't already broke!

Tried them years ago. Didn't really hear much of a difference. But then again, the guitars I tried them on had a pretty tight fitting stoptail. It wouldn't just slip off when changing strings. So, I went back to stock...

Jamie

Yup. Got a set on "Norma" the stoptail Siggy. It's still susatining in the case right now! :ugeek:

I have 'em installed on my Tremonti SE along with the adjustable stoptail.
Tremonti%20SE%20tonepros%20bridge.jpg

Can't tell about sustain but the whole gtr feels just tighter & stiffer (in a good way)

Last year I had a SC with the stock bridge and got a new to me SC with a TonePros bridge, all else was equal. The locking bridge SC had better sustain and better tone. I loved the very noticeable improvement. Will put them on my other stoptails when I get around to it.

Back