Anyone using a Fender GT40?

BlueDecay13

I’ve just received a used SE245 and I currently have a tiny Blackstar HT1R 1W tube amp.

It’s got a great sound but it’s very simple in terms of tone (1 EQ knob, gain, Reverb).

I’m thinking about getting a small modelling amp ( the smaller the better as it stays under a side table in the living room) and I’ve seen the Fender GT40.

Has anyone used one?

I know modelling amps aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but this is just for home use.

Haven't tried the Fender, but I have a Yamaha THR-5. The Yamaha THR series are great little amps and definitely very inspiring to play as Wedge said.

Had one. Sounds just OK, found the Yamaha THR much more inspiring to play, sounded less ‘small and boxy’ than the GT40. Haven’t tried other small amps but wasn’t a fan of the GT.

Haven't tried the Fender, but I have a Yamaha THR-5. The Yamaha THR series are great little amps and definitely very inspiring to play as Wedge said.

I'm with these two; the Yamaha THRs are fantastic. The new THR-II looks amazing. Lots of updated features on it. Little pricey though.

Where does the Vox VT20X (or it's bigger siblings) fall in the ranks? I really like the THR, but it's hard to ignore the VT20X when I can get one for under $100 on CL.
I haven't played one and have only previously enjoyed all tube amps. I sold all of my tube amps when I moved into a condo. Will I be inspired by the Vox in my condo?

II’ve not looked at the Vox, but if it’s on the same area cost wise it’s probably worth considering.

I was going to suggest a Boss Katana, but it sounds like you need something with a smaller footprint. Have you looked at the Blackstar ID Core 20 V2? Might fit the bill for you.

In terms of being "inspired", I think these little modeling amps get you fantastic tones at low volumes, but I doubt you'll feel the same inspiration you'd get from a higher quality amp with a 12" speaker pushing a lot of air around the room. :)

I was going to suggest a Boss Katana, but it sounds like you need something with a smaller footprint. Have you looked at the Blackstar ID Core 20 V2? Might fit the bill for you.

In terms of being "inspired", I think these little modeling amps get you fantastic tones at low volumes, but I doubt you'll feel the same inspiration you'd get from a higher quality amp with a 12" speaker pushing a lot of air around the room. :)
I would love a Katana but you’re right, size is unfortunately a big issue and this literally needs to fit under a very small table!

I didn’t know Blackstar did a modelling anp, I’ll check it out!

I was searching for something similar last year and would suggest trying out the Katana air, Yamaha THR10 and VOX adio GT, all have a very small footprint and decent tones at low volume. You may be underwhelmed in a large open space but they do come into their own at home use. I think the Yamaha sounds a bit better than the Katana but ymmv. These would all provide more tonal options than your current rig if that is what you are after, have you considered just adding a multi-effect unit like a Zoom G3Nx to your HT-1?

Back