Anyone using 9s on their PRSi??

Thomastik Infeld Powerbrights or Blues Sliders. Powerbrights are available with heavy bottoms. Best darn strings period. Before you groan about the price, try them and you will be spoiled. They have badd a$$ strings for hollowbodies also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tag
What kind are you using and where do you get them? PRS Store now says not available. One store I asked about 9.5’s said they’d never heard of them.
The dealer I got my Custom 24 from always has the PRS 9.5s in stock when I'm there, but that's Dayton Ohio. And as Glide said, D'Ad sells them, as well as makes the ones for PRS.

Yes!After years of playing 10s and 11s in both standard and E flat tuning im now back to 9s.I still want a little more tension on the wound strings so i use 9-46 standard tuning.My DGT sounds better than ever since switching to a 9-46 set.

Wait, you get more tension from the wounds strings by using 9s? Why is that. I just assumed if they are lighter they bend easier and that is less tension.

If you ask me Outlier22 so,yes more tension from 9-46 on the wound strings than a 9-42 set.Still light and easy to bend though.

My Zach Myers SE in my Sig came with 9's. I thought they were a bit like spaghetti and had to do crazy long distance bends compared to normal. Switched to Paradigm 10's and though I like it, I started missing some of that loose freedom and ease of legato of the 9's. Paradigms have lasted quite a while now, I might try and compromise with 9.5's next time. Probably D'addario since Ernie Ball doesn't do half sizes. I do think 9's were just a tad loose, but not by much.

For me NYXL's last twice as long and get in tune almost straight away with minimum stretching. I find the thinnest gauges are a bit stiffer and when they get old, can feel a bit like cheesewire and a bit harder on the fingers. They have a bit more attack and I think an upper mid boost with 9's and 9.5's didn't notice as much difference with 10's. I do like them and usually get them if I fancy using D'addarios.

.10's on all my electric guitars. Just never liked the feel or tone of the .09 gauge high E string, but that is just me.

I'm an 11 guy. Been using the SIT 11-50 set for the past year of so. Was using Power Slinkies before that.

I use 13s for the tone.jpg

Mine came with 9.5 and I didn't even know there was such an animal. At a pro set up, I had them changed to tens. I like them that way, all of them.

Replying to my own post. What makes the NY XL’s worth twice what XL’s sell for?

I put a set on the Silver Sky and quite like them, but that's me.

From their site:

D’Addario NYXL guitar strings will bend farther, sing louder, and stay in tune better than any string you’ve played before. Envisioned, perfected, and manufactured by D’Addario in New York, this newly engineered, break-resistant, high-carbon steel core and plain steel alloy delivers a whole new level of freedom, confidence, and power. NYXL’s provide more strength and up to 131% greater tuning stability by utilizing a completely reinvented wire drawing process coupled with a revolutionary “fusion twist” process for the plain steels. The reformulated nickel plated string windings have greater magnetic properties resulting in higher output and enhanced mid-range frequency response for more presence and crunch.

Thomastik Infeld Powerbrights or Blues Sliders. Powerbrights are available with heavy bottoms. Best darn strings period. Before you groan about the price, try them and you will be spoiled. They have badd a$$ strings for hollowbodies also.

Best strings made. No question.

I have 9s on one of mine. That’s what PRS put on the Customs in ‘96 when I bought it and I haven’t felt the need to change. I use 10s or 11s on most of the others.

I think I am going to try 11s on my HB 594. 10s are so easy on that scale, I can't help but think 11s will make it sound even fatter.

I think I am going to try 11s on my HB 594. 10s are so easy on that scale, I can't help but think 11s will make it sound even fatter.
I have 11s on one of my HB (not 594), and really like them. I find the play quite easily on that guitar, perhaps because of the jazzier stuff I tend to play on the HB. They really respond well to the right hand.

Back