Anyone using 9s on their PRSi??

I have 9s on one of mine. That’s what PRS put on the Customs in ‘96 when I bought it and I haven’t felt the need to change. I use 10s or 11s on most of the others.
They were still doing it in 2001, but I went to 10s then 11s, then back to 10s. I’m too heavy handed on 24 fret guitar for 9s.

Interesting gauge. So that was his secret.

I think it changes the tone in a surprising way. Between the 10-38 strings and the E flat tuning...a totally different tone comes out of the guitar. It’s like a thick airiness of some sort that wasn’t there before.

Jimi’s secret was probably a combination of his ear, his style, his work ethic, and the talent in those big ass hands of his.

:)

like 11top said, I used to use 9's on my 25.5 scale strat. (which I sold) But I use 10-52 now on my CE. (even the standard 46 low E feels too slinky)

edit - I'm going to go back to 10-46 as i'm getting some binding in the nut and tuning issues. (instead of getting nut work done.)

Last edited:
I switched from 10’s to 9’s about a year ago on all my guitars (PRS of course). It to me just gives ‘em better playability. I haven’t noticed any difference in tone either. I also switched over to pure nickel which are slightly springy.

Reactions: OGN
Every time I and experiment and go to either 9's or 9.5's, I end up, after a few hours, going back to the D'Addario Balanced Tension EXL110BT sets. It is what it is...

Every time I and experiment and go to either 9's or 9.5's, I end up, after a few hours, going back to the D'Addario Balanced Tension EXL110BT sets. It is what it is...
Yeah. We like what we like.
I use 5 different gauges on my electrics, but rarely change gauge on a guitar once I’ve decided I like it.

That the same I just tried. I think they would be great for me as those low strings just feel more stable, but i'm having tuning issues now. I think one (or more) of the strings is binding in the nut throwing the tuning off on all the strings. (floating bridge) Instead of bringing it in to my tech for nut work, I think i'm going back to 10-46.

That the same I just tried. I think they would be great for me as those low strings just feel more stable, but i'm having tuning issues now. I think one (or more) of the strings is binding in the nut throwing the tuning off on all the strings. (floating bridge) Instead of bringing it in to my tech for nut work, I think i'm going back to 10-46.
Welp… I like the extra bass, although it's not too noticeable. That being said, to me it's just a bit too stiff on the bottom strings. It didn't wreck playing, and maybe I need to get used to it, but not totally in love with what feels like "extra work".
I think I'll thrash these then try 9s.
This was on the Silver Sky, and zero tuning issues. Stable as heck.

Welp… I like the extra bass, although it's not too noticeable. That being said, to me it's just a bit too stiff on the bottom strings. It didn't wreck playing, and maybe I need to get used to it, but not totally in love with what feels like "extra work".
I think I'll thrash these then try 9s.
This was on the Silver Sky, and zero tuning issues. Stable as heck.

I just changed all my strings back to a 10-46 set, and the low E, A and G strings don't feel all that much different than the 10-52 set which is good. But more importantly the tuning stability has returned. Once again the guitar stays in tune no matter how big of a bend or if I dive bomb the trem! (which I never really do except for testing) So I'm sticking with this size instead of getting my nut re-cut to fit the 10-52s. ...I'm happy with my guitar again!

I find 9s on my SE Custom 24 to be perfectly comfortable, and it’s set up very well, so there is minimal buzzing. I’m coming from Fender scale lengths and 10s, which presented no problem when I was younger. But being in my 50s, the 25 inch scale, wide-thin neck, and 9s result in much easier and pleasant playing for me.

I have almost always used 10s. However, about a year ago, after grabbing a long scale semi-hollow, it just seemed a little "weak". The dealer thought I was nuts, but I restrung with 11s. It really opened that guitar up. Amazing guitar! I have a hard time playing WITHOUT bending, but then I have been told I have strong hands.

FWIW, that guitar has a wrap bridge, so that likely does tend to make it a bit slinkier feeling.

9's on everything because I don't have the guts to go down to 8's or 7's.

I've had 9's on my Paul's for sometime now. I'm not sure what has been on my HB 1. I just took them both in yesterday to put new strings on. I had the tech check the HB 1 and it had 10s. I had NYXL 9s put on both.

Haven't played them yet but I'm especially interested in what the HB is going to play like.

I use 9's on everything except for my Hollowbody. I have smaller hands so the 9's are better for me. I had to fight 10's too much if playing for an extended time. The slight change in tone was worth the gain in comfort and playability.

Reactions: OGN
Back