Anyone try Starla pups in anything besides a Starla?

Blakemore

Love the clarity, string separation and sound of the Starla core pups.

Anyone ever tried them in something other than a Starla?
Something with a maple top?

Curiosity got the better of me and I did a thing....

VAIfi0ul.jpg

It sounds incredible in this guitar!!! Gives more oomph in the bridge than the 58/15LT but still has ridiculous clarity and chime. Also has a fatter/tighter bottom end and split sounds terrific as well.
It's the first pickup I've mixed with the neck that has actually retained close to the same sonic footprint as both 58/15LT's in the middle position.
Wonderful surprise!!

VAIfi0ul.jpg

It sounds incredible in this guitar!!! Gives more oomph in the bridge than the 58/15LT but still has ridiculous clarity and chime. Also has a fatter/tighter bottom end and split sounds terrific as well.
It's the first pickup I've mixed with the neck that has actually retained close to the same sonic footprint as both 58/15LT's in the middle position.
Wonderful surprise!!

Aw hell yeah!

VAIfi0ul.jpg

Wonderful surprise!!

Pardon my stupidity, but what pickup is that?

Love the clarity, string separation and sound of the Starla core pups.

Anyone ever tried them in something other than a Starla?
Something with a maple top?

Yes, put them in a CUST24, I liked them, very clear. Actually have a pair of core Starla pups, I’ll pm you.

Yeah, I've 2008 Starla; my number one player. The Starla pickups, I've tried them in a SC245, they didn't sound the same at all. They sounded quite stiff actually. I think that the more open sound of the pickups lends itself well to the warmer sounding guitar, but I've moved on from those pickups.

After 10 years with them and not knowing why they weren't perfect I thought about it - The pickups are too compressed for me. There's no kick or punch, they're too warm for a pickup with less output. Made them feel 75% PAF, 25% single coil, I always felt like I wanted them to sound 50/50. When you ran it through pedals, that high end 'sparkle' was lost, but it didn't thump to make up for it either..

It's like it was too hot to be a filtertron but too weedy to be a PAF. The highs were nice, but there wasn't enough, neck pickup was too bassy.

I had Sunday Handwound make me a set of Firebird pickups in full sized covers and it's a total improvement for me. More present, more punch, less output but WAY more dynamic and lively, no mud, Fender cleans and Angus Young type overdrive sound.

The Starla pickups are in the case - they're staying there.

I had Starla's in my Custom 22. They are bright and pretty unforgiving. They weren't designed for a ham-fisted hack like me, they are for people who can actual play well.
Well that explains why my son, who's an obviously better player than me, makes my core Starla sound so damned good. Still, I love playing it anyway.

Is the consensus that the Starla Pickups are good in hollowbody or semi-hollow guitars? I just picked a set up for pretty cheap and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to put them in.

CE Semi-Hollow/Reclaimed Semi-Hollow
S2 Semi-Hollow
Vela Reclaimed
Hollowbody

Any other ideas?

The Starla pup in a Reclaimed Vela is a fantastic match. It takes the semihollow mids and drops a balanced spread of highs, similar to a P-90 but more refined. Mine currently sports a Duncan Antiquity humbucker to match my needs for now, but if...err...when that changes, the Starla is going back in. I’d be very compelled to find core Starla pups.

Last edited:
Hmm, never thought about a Starla pickup in a semi hollow. At first when you mentioned a maple top guitar, I was hesitant... I could see them being very plinky and stiff, but semi hollows are a whole other thing. Hmmmmmm....

I wondered about Starla pups going into Hollow Body guitars. I find the 58/15s a little uninspiring considering how beautiful those HBs look! I have the SE Starla and the tones blow me away, split or not split.

Is the consensus that the Starla Pickups are good in hollowbody or semi-hollow guitars? I just picked a set up for pretty cheap and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to put them in.

CE Semi-Hollow/Reclaimed Semi-Hollow
S2 Semi-Hollow
Vela Reclaimed
Hollowbody

Any other ideas?
Bought a new S2 Vela Solid Body recently. Love the guitar overall but the Starla bridge pickup wasn’t very balanced with the single coil neck pickup. After some adjustments to pickup and screw height it is better balanced, warmer and more distinctive. The bridge/middle setting is probably my favorite but bridge pickup alone is great with some overdrive as well.

Bought a new S2 Vela Solid Body recently. Love the guitar overall but the Starla bridge pickup wasn’t very balanced with the single coil neck pickup. After some adjustments to pickup and screw height it is better balanced, warmer and more distinctive. The bridge/middle setting is probably my favorite but bridge pickup alone is great with some overdrive as well.

My next Vela is going to be a single 57/08 with volume only ;)

Back