anyone switched out Paul's Guitar pickups before?

televisual

Just a random question probably, but has anyone ever removed the pickups of a Paul's guitar or at least seen the cavity shape behind the rings? I'm curious if the routing would accommodate a regular humbucker pickup. I'm eyeballing one for sale that ticks off all my boxes for neck, color, and wood choice but I'm just not sold on the pickups. I play tele nearly 100% of the time but would like to graduate from the "cutting board with strings" as Brad Paisley calls them, haha.

Any pictures or recommendations are appreciated, thanks!

The cavities are probably too narrow for a full-sized humbucker, but if you're coming from Tele-land, you probably want to give the stock pickups a thorough tryout. They're bright-sounding humbuckers so they might be an excursion into territory that's not too far from home.

Pauls guitar would be a nice transition from tele to PRS the splits and killer on the narrow 408s and the bucker mode is also on the brighter side.
If you don't bond with the Pauls I would filp it before modding one
If you want something from a long time tele player look at a Brett Mason Sig

The cavities are probably too narrow for a full-sized humbucker, but if you're coming from Tele-land, you probably want to give the stock pickups a thorough tryout. They're bright-sounding humbuckers so they might be an excursion into territory that's not too far from home.

(That was probably too many words to say "try it, I think you'll like it!)

I agree with Rider and Squid. I think the Paul's would get you into the territory you're looking for. Those pickups sound great, split and HB.

Paul’s Guitar is EXACTLY the PRS for THIS Tele-player-for-decades!
The stock pickups are great IMHO.
Most splittable humbuckers I keep split, but the Paul’sGuitar pu’s are like bright mini-humbuckers when non-spit, and the mini switches allow humbucker bridge combined with single coil neck: one of my favorite sounds: twang with girth!
My McCarty 594 configured that way is just not as twangy.

Paul’s Guitar stock combines a great “fendery” versatility with its own great personality, I find.

Last edited:
To pile on, this is a guitar you buy for the pickups. It would not be an easy thing to swap them out. You could probably get them rewound.

I agree with the others, too; the pickups have a nice single coil type clarity to them that you will probably appreciate as a Tele lover.

Back