Anyone switch to SS Amps over the years??

Well, the Bandit arrived from GC today, really badly packed. Just shoved in a big box with a bunch of packing peanuts. The box was well battered in its travels as well. Pulled the amp out, it still looked great. Plugged it in, all the pots are scratchy and the volume on the dirty channel kept dropping out. So, it went right back to the local GC (due to the volume dropouts, I'd've cleaned the scratchy pots) and the search resumes...
That blows

So would this be worth consideration? I mean after all it is a Signed PRS solid state amp.

Paul Reed Smith PRS HG-70 Harmonic Generator Solid State Guitar Amplifier Head with Footswitch Black https://reverb.com/item/34068869-pa...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=34068869
Give it a spin. Mine showed up kinda beat up, and wasn't working well. I let Rider1260 do some work on it and it was ok. Working well, I just didn't really dig it. I leant it to Sergio to have some fun with. When I met him to get it back I put it in the bed of my truck. I hauled 4 guitars inside the house from the back seat of the truck, and forgot about the amp in the bed. It rained, hard, over night. Now it's taking up space at my storage locker.

I bought a Helix LT about a year ago, a little longer. Direct into the FOH at church and love it. Solid state modeling all the way, and a Headrush FRFR108 as a floor monitor. Very portable and I love my tone. Basically I use one "rig" and a bunch of snapshots for different effects combinations, kinda like a normal person would set up a pedalboard and not change it much.

Before that, I had a Blues Jr. and a Roland ME-80. The power switch on the ME-80 died in late 2019 so it wouldn't stay on unless you held in the button. Soldered the leads so it was always on whenever it was plugged in and that held for about 6 months and then the board just gave out. I loved how the ME-80 had physical dials to pick your sound, but it was only 4 years old when it gave out. I wasn't about to buy another. I still have the Blues Jr. and use it at home with a Tube Screamer mini and a touch of the onboard reverb when I want to shake the windows of my music room.

Well, the Bandit arrived from GC today, really badly packed. Just shoved in a big box with a bunch of packing peanuts. The box was well battered in its travels as well. Pulled the amp out, it still looked great. Plugged it in, all the pots are scratchy and the volume on the dirty channel kept dropping out. So, it went right back to the local GC (due to the volume dropouts, I'd've cleaned the scratchy pots) and the search resumes...
That sucks. I was looking forward to your impression on the Bandit. I really hope you find another one soon.

Give it a spin. Mine showed up kinda beat up, and wasn't working well. I let Rider1260 do some work on it and it was ok. Working well, I just didn't really dig it. I leant it to Sergio to have some fun with. When I met him to get it back I put it in the bed of my truck. I hauled 4 guitars inside the house from the back seat of the truck, and forgot about the amp in the bed. It rained, hard, over night. Now it's taking up space at my storage locker.
Whoopsi.:eek::D

That sucks. I was looking forward to your impression on the Bandit. I really hope you find another one soon.

I'm actively looking for another at a decent price. When the volume wasn't cutting out, the clean tone was great and the dirt seemed to have potential...didn't get around to running the Helix into the Power Amp In jack, given that I wasn't going to mess around too much with an amp that was clearly not functioning right. Hopefully soon...

One just popped up on marketplace around here, but I don't think he ships

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac..."upsell_type\":null,\"grouping_info\":null}"}

I'm actively looking for another at a decent price. When the volume wasn't cutting out, the clean tone was great and the dirt seemed to have potential...didn't get around to running the Helix into the Power Amp In jack, given that I wasn't going to mess around too much with an amp that was clearly not functioning right. Hopefully soon...
Hopefully. I think you'll like it once you get your hands on a properly working one. On my silver stripe Peavey Express which is very similar to the Bandit I have a Boss GT-1 that I run into the clean channel that sounds really great. Lately I've been 3 cabling using the gain channel from Peavey sending the signal to the GT-1 to use effects in stomp box mode (mostly delay, chorus and eq) and returning into the fx loop. I've ordered a Tubescreamer to stick in the front of this set up and see if I can get a bit more gain using this 3 cable method.

There are like 3 head units and 2 or 3 combos available, but my problem is I dont want another amp, I have 2 and really only need 1. What I need is a good pedal.platform, as my GT-6 already does the amp and cab modelling. Trading what I have for a Headrush 12" cab wouldnt be a square deal IMO. I'll probably stay with what I have unless Sonzera pops up local that I can trade for.

So would this be worth consideration? I mean after all it is a Signed PRS solid state amp.

Paul Reed Smith PRS HG-70 Harmonic Generator Solid State Guitar Amplifier Head with Footswitch Black https://reverb.com/item/34068869-pa...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=34068869
i had one of these for about a decade between the late 90s and 2007 or so. I loved it, thought it had great tone and a killer reverb. The high end with gain was kind of modest, maybe not the best for modern metal tones but otherwise it had a nice range and I thought the way the channel switch lit up different colors for different settings was pretty slick when it first came out. If I didn't have to sell it to pay a mortgage payment, I'd still have it and I'm considering getting another. The one I had was a present and because nobody knew anything about these amps, it sat around for years looking cool and got heavily discounted. I'd recommend trying one if possible but if you aren't looking for heavily distorted tone or have a good fuzz boxy thing, I loved it. Soudned a lot like some proper tube amps, just a little less colored sound (some coloration thoguh as Paul and his engineers did a great job of emulating some of the tube warmth and such. it's something like a late 80s design so it might seem primitive). I still would like another. maybe its main flaw is that it can't seem to decide what to sound like. Not bad, not flat and lifeless sounding like most SS amps at the time, just didn't have enough of its own flavor. I got the impression that it was designed to be able to do a passable job at many sounds, the manual even had various knob diagrams for things like classic, british, maybe california, etc that got fairly close to some name brand sounds. Overall, worth a shot but if you can't find tones that make you happy it might not work out. I would get one with something higher gain or a multiFX box connected to it is I saw it cheap enough, but maybe that's partially nostalgic?

I seem to recall killer bass and one of the best reverbs available on a new amp at the time. Not sure how much that helps, I think the price there is pretty reasonable but once in a while they go for really cheap because they aren't tube, aren't well known and aren't quite old enough to be classics.

At the moment I'm using a Vox AC4 112 for clean and edge of breakup and then using Bogner Burnley for heavy drive, or if I'm not being lazy and break out the big ol' pedal board, it's a Friedman BE-OD for heavier drive tones. Both the Bogner and the Friedman are outstanding solid state dirt pedals when paired with a tube amp. For gigs (when that was a thing, and when it comes back), it's the Friedman into a Peavey Delta Blues 210. Having said that, I have been giving some thought to trying one of the Orange Crush series amps.

At the moment I'm using a Vox AC4 112 for clean and edge of breakup and then using Bogner Burnley for heavy drive, or if I'm not being lazy and break out the big ol' pedal board, it's a Friedman BE-OD for heavier drive tones. Both the Bogner and the Friedman are outstanding solid state dirt pedals when paired with a tube amp. For gigs (when that was a thing, and when it comes back), it's the Friedman into a Peavey Delta Blues 210. Having said that, I have been giving some thought to trying one of the Orange Crush series amps.

I've gotta say, I really enjoy the Friedman BE-OD into a Delta Blues, I used to use that combination frequently before I sold my soul and went digital.

Kemper now. Best way for me to really control volume which is a must for both my household situation and my chronic migraine condition. With their Kabinet speaker, finally getting tones I like out of it. H9 in the loop.

Prior Amps (all gone)
3rd Power CSR combo
Swart AST
HXDA 30 combo plus PowerStation II - the only one I really miss!
H&K GrandMeister 36 with PRS 2x12
H&K TubeMeister 18 with PRS 2x12
Johnson Millennium 120 - still at my parents house and still sounds ok after all these years. My dad will occasionally play some of my old guitars through it.
Fender Champ 25 SE - now with my brother along with my LP Studio (first electric) and PRS McCarty (first PRS)
Fender Performer 650
Crate 15R with original Zoom multi effects pedal started it all :)

Back