Anyone switch to SS Amps over the years??

Russ73

I know this is the guitar section and I have 5 PRSi but as far as the other half of the equation....Amps....I recently went to a quilter 101r through a 2x12 after my last tube head failed for the 3rd time in a year....running pedals for gain with it and releived no maintenance issues...just curious what others in the PRS family are using for amplification as well...

As far as solid state (rather than digital emulation) I've been using a KSR Ceres and Diezel VH4 pedals as preamps and enjoying the sounds. Neither does the edge of break up really, but anything from crunch onwards is pretty good.

I've always been a Tweed guy, starting with a Tweed Deluxe (with 6V6 power tubes), and adding Tweed Bassman clones, running NOS, Tung Sol 5881's. I've always had a specific sound in my head. Over the years, I've found amps with modern features that work for me. I was surprised how easily I could dial-in a Boss Katana, for the sounds that I wanted. No deep editing needed. I just turn the knops. I was a working musician for 15 years, and I need a reliable sound. I do not want to hook my guitar amps to a computer.

Last week, I traded a nice Tony Bruno designed, Vox built, 6V6 tube amp, for a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. I've owned several 60's Fender tube amps, starting with an original, Blackface, Deluxe Reverb. I'm surprised just how much I like this amp. The sound is authentic, the weight is light and I find that the power scaling makes the amp even more useful. I can set my volume around 5, to get an edge of breakup sound, and use the power scaling to control my overall volume.

To be honest, I bought this amp to be used for a microphone, as much as guitar. I tend to play as a solo act, most of the time, now. I will normally haul a PA, speakers, monitors, guitar and backup. I'm 68 years old, with a spinal injury. I can still haul my heavy equipment as needed. But I figure, why push my luck. My TMDR only weighs 24 pounds. My Boss KTM 100 weighs 27 pounds, with an Eminence Basslite speaker, and sounds like a Tweed Bassman. There isn't a lot that I can't do, with these two amps.

Last edited:
I was a die hard tube guy for many years. My preference was generally for cheaper tube amps as I'm a huge fan of the Peavey Classic series, but all tube nonetheless. I tried modeling a few times, it never worked for me. I was too much of a snob to even try solid state amps. Then I decided to try the Helix, and I fell in love. Helix finally sounded right and felt good to me. Ran it through an FRFR and/or the PA. Then I picked up a Boss Katana MKII, which has a power amp in jack specifically for use with modelers, and I like it even more. So I'm full digital these days.

That said, I'm also on the lookout for a red stripe Peavey Bandit. I picked one up to flip about 3 years ago, before my Helix enlightenment ;). Couldn't resist because it was $20 on Craigslist and I flipped it for $175 in a week. That said, I was super impressed with the little bugger, and it has a power amp in - and a bigger cabinet and better speaker than the Katana. Sadly I'm looking at $250 and up now for every Bandit I can find....

The only SS amp I have is a Lab series L7 I bought because it was my old guitar teacher's who passed away. He had tons of old fender amps and raved about these Lab amps. It's great but too big to gig regularly and I'd be concerned of a failure and finding someone capable of repairing it because they seem rather complex.

I was a die hard tube guy for many years. My preference was generally for cheaper tube amps as I'm a huge fan of the Peavey Classic series, but all tube nonetheless. I tried modeling a few times, it never worked for me. I was too much of a snob to even try solid state amps. Then I decided to try the Helix, and I fell in love. Helix finally sounded right and felt good to me. Ran it through an FRFR and/or the PA. Then I picked up a Boss Katana MKII, which has a power amp in jack specifically for use with modelers, and I like it even more. So I'm full digital these days.

That said, I'm also on the lookout for a red stripe Peavey Bandit. I picked one up to flip about 3 years ago, before my Helix enlightenment ;). Couldn't resist because it was $20 on Craigslist and I flipped it for $175 in a week. That said, I was super impressed with the little bugger, and it has a power amp in - and a bigger cabinet and better speaker than the Katana. Sadly I'm looking at $250 and up now for every Bandit I can find....

I'm also a big fan of the Peavey amps. I used a red stripe Studio Pro for years, while giving guitar lessons. It didn't make sense, to use tube amps while teaching. I liked the Studio Pro enough, that I also bought a Bandit and Supreme XL (100 watt) head, with a 4X10 half stack. The Studio Pro was still my favorite. Although I had upgraded the speaker to a Celestion Seventy/80. I gave the amp to one of my favorite stundents.

Those red-stripe TransTube series Bandits are PACKED full of features. The "power amp IN" (as you mentioned) is a pretty cool feature that was maybe ahead of its time--it's very useful today--and my favorite was the speaker-out that didn't mute the internal speaker. I once had both that Bandit + the matching 1x12 closed-back cab to go with it. Good luck finding that anymore, but it created a monstrous "stack" of Peavey goodness.

I'm also a big fan of the Peavey amps. I used a red stripe Studio Pro for years, while giving guitar lessons. It didn't make sense, to use tube amps while teaching. I liked the Studio Pro enough, that I also bought a Bandit and Supreme XL (100 watt) head, with a 4X10 half stack. The Studio Pro was still my favorite. Although I had upgraded the speaker to a Celestion Seventy/80. I gave the amp to one of my favorite stundents.
Yup, I did have the Bandit [see my post above] but ended up longer-term having a couple "Studio Pro II" models--would sell one, miss it, and then buy another. I'm currently without one, while Quilter is getting my SS eye these days.

Either of those red-stripe Peavey TransTube combos (Studio Pro II or Bandit) with even a moderate speaker upgrade could be a serious workhorse.

I picked up a Quilter 101 non-reverb head to have as a backup that could sit in the gig-stuff 26" roller bag. I started using it at rehearsals it sounded real nice on the Surf setting, full 100 watts, and it does cut through the 9 piece horn band I'm in - no question, have the live recordings to prove it. Then I saw a used Quilter BlocikDock 12HD cab whilst scrolling through used gear on the GC site - there it was used in Chicago for only $249.00 - I got it - they opened it in front of me at the local Detroit GC, it appeared to not have ever been used, no scuffs, dents/dings etc. and it came with a nylon cover and the speaker cord to plug it into the 101 Head. Well, it's earned it's way onto the stage for gigs. The live recordings of the band from the FOH board sound like I'm playing through a classic Fender-something Blackface amp, I play Strats and Tele's in the classic R&B/Motown/Blues Rock band. I have also used the Quilter neo cab for my Mesa TA15 and I keep the 101 Head strapped into it's place in back of the cab as an ever-ready backup. Best of both worlds. between the 101 Head and the noe-equipped cab the total weight is only 22lbs - loud, proud, and light. Love it at load-out. Here it is when I was using the Mesa TA15 and had the 101 tucked in the back of the cab where it normally straps in at an outdoor Beach Party gig from 2019 - we'll be playing that gig again 6/18/21 as our first post Covid gig. I know this is the PRS Forum but variety is the spice of life, right - I'd love to find a good price on one of the PRS that can do real good split coil tones and consolidate some of the guitar arsenal. Please give me your best coil-splitting sounding PRS candidate - I know the Silver Sky is out there but I want to go between HB's and solid Single Coil voicing without having to change guitars. Thanks.
eFKFFRK.jpg

I know this is the PRS Forum but variety is the spice of life, right - I'd love to find a good price on one of the PRS that can do real good split coil tones and consolidate some of the guitar arsenal. Please give me your best coil-splitting sounding PRS candidate - I know the Silver Sky is out there but I want to go between HB's and solid Single Coil voicing without having to change guitars. Thanks.
eFKFFRK.jpg

Cool rig! I've heard good things about Quilter. As far as a nice PRS for your needs, I say that the Paul's Guitar works well. The Brent Mason is real solid in that application, and - for me - the Modern Eagle V accomplishes exactly what you're looking for. I can do HB, Strat and Tele-ish tones on the one guitar.

I’m a switch hitter on the tube versus modelers thing. I was all tube amps for decades except a Lab Series L5 for a while in the late 70s. I’ve been playing Fractal Audio Axe Fx gear through RCF or CLR monitors for live gigging since 2011, but also have about a dozen tube amps I use at home and occasionally at the right gigs. You just can’t beat the Axe Fx for convenience with great sound… it’s all right there in one box. But then there is something about a great tube amp I have never been able to replace or 100% replicate. There was a time that I was a bit obsessed with that, and felt like I had to be in one camp or the other. But once I quit feeling like I had to champion one over the other that whole concern went away. I’m now very happy with both, using them however they work best… including together!

So it’s not actually “switched to SS” for me. “Added” better covers my situation. I use both in regular rotation.

I’m 20 years into Tech 21 Trademark 60’s which are analog transistor (go ask Andrew Barta). There is a learning curve, and they react differently to different voltages at different venues, but the sound has always been there. If there are no stairs it’s a PRS 2 channel 30 or 20, which weigh twice as much as the Tech 21’s. I’m almost 70, so the weight matters.

Those red-stripe TransTube series Bandits are PACKED full of features. The "power amp IN" (as you mentioned) is a pretty cool feature that was maybe ahead of its time--it's very useful today--and my favorite was the speaker-out that didn't mute the internal speaker. I once had both that Bandit + the matching 1x12 closed-back cab to go with it. Good luck finding that anymore, but it created a monstrous "stack" of Peavey goodness.

Well, after watching a TON of comparison videos over the past few days, I have a Silver Stripe Bandit inbound, just ordered from GC Used. Still has the power amp in, differences seem to be slim between red and silver. Looking forward to its arrival....

I found that the difference between a good sounding solid state amp and a bad sounding amp, is often the difference in how the player is able to adjust their EQ. I also found that some amps that people love, like a Roland Jazz Chorus, doesn't work for me. Yet I sound good through a less expensive Roland Cube. YMMV.

I have a Peavy Express 112 Transtube silver stripe. I was my first amp. Bought it in '96 choosing it over the Marshall Valevstate which I was considering buying. It still sounds so good for a SS amp. Especially when I hook up a delay pedal in the fx loop to thicken up the tone a bit. The cleans are outstanding and the with gain channel you can dial in really great hard rock / 80's metal tones. Oh and this amp is very loud cranked up.

Back