Anyone spontaneously lose hearing in an ear?

I wish you the best with this, Bob -- it's gotta be scary, but stay cool. they'll figure it out.

I lost the hearing in my right ear one summer, turned out to be an infection in a tooth that had spread.

Your docs may have already told you this, but it sounds to me like they're suspicious of nerve dysfunction via inflammation and/or infection. Most of the nerves of the head travel through narrow bony canals, and if inflammation and swelling comes into play in those narrow canals, sensory loss can result. And your fluid issues could definitely contribute to that kind of thing. Sorry I can't point you to a concrete example, but if I were the doctor seeing you, that would be my guess too. Any problems with your sense of balance lately?

Edit, Hans' link said pretty much what I said. Now I just feel silly.

Last edited:
Sergio, you taught a dental student something today. Makes perfect sense, I just haven't heard of that specific thing happening before.

I don't think it's widely accepted how much oral health has to do with the rest of your body, and I totally have the teeth of a dude who has been in bands for twenty years!

My B.I.L. is a dentist and he was the one that suggested treating my tooth, whether it was just an ear infection that cleared up because of the Amoxicillin I had to take before I could have my root canal, or if indeed it was connected, I haven't had the problem arise since then.

BTW I'm not a dentist or a doctor, and I don't know S#!t.

I don't think it's widely accepted how much oral health has to do with the rest of your body, and I totally have the teeth of a dude who has been in bands for twenty years!

My B.I.L. is a dentist and he was the one that suggested treating my tooth, whether it was just an ear infection that cleared up because of the Amoxicillin I had to take before I could have my root canal, or if indeed it was connected, I haven't had the problem arise since then.

BTW I'm not a dentist or a doctor, and I don't know S#!t.

An abscess arising from a tooth could definitely do the job - they can do nasty stuff if they spread too far. Luckily awareness is increasing on all kinds of oral links to overall health considerations - heart disease, systemic infections, premature births, some pretty crazy stuff.

Brush and floss kids.

Don't overlook the possibility of TMD, formerly known as TMJ.

I recently developed a high-pitched ringing in my left ear, and then a few weeks later my right ear started to ring a bit as well. It seemed to get louder when I would sit at my computer, and lessen in the shower -- although there often was no rhyme or reason to it. After a few fruitless visits to the doctor, it was correctly diagnosed by an ENT (although he doesn't know it). After telling me that nothing was wrong and that I was freaking out from reading the Internet, he mentioned TMD as a possibility and handed me a pamphlet on the way out the door. The pamphlet described many symptoms of my condition, and my dentist later confirmed it as TMD. The strain on my neck from sitting at the computer was aggravating it, the hot water in the shower was relieving it, etc. After treating it for what it is, things have significantly improved... although they still pop up from time to time.

Your situation sounds different than mine, but TMD has a wide range of nagging and hard-to-define symptoms. It's a possibility to consider, at least.

Hey Bob, Thinking of you bud..... Hope it gets better!!

Bob, don't let the medical 'spitballing' get to your head. Like in all technical fields, most tasks in the medical field involves regressive troubleshooting and few are really good at it. They have to follow a script or do it by the book and that takes time. So says their malpractice insurance. In the mean time, rest assured that x-rays can't accurately show liquids of certain viscosity, or rather, they can be misread, so the possibilities of a simple infection or the plane trip pressurization pushing liquid into odd places in your inner ear still exist. I had that happen in a descent once and the pain was excruciating...my wife thought I was having a stroke. My hearing was borked for a few days.

Keep a positive mindset and give the docs a chance to figure things out. And if you want, feel free to give me a call. :top:

Tuesday -

Bob was supposed to go to the dentist yesterday. I of course want Bob to get better fast, but I also have a professional curiosity in what was found or not found. I'm guessing he is healthy (dentally) because his symptoms are so acute and most dental abscesses build a bit more gradually.

Hang in their Bob it will get better, I know people that went 2 months before their hearing got better after an infection. Stay positive and stay off the Internet\WebMD. I am still getting over a sinus infection that left me with a double ear infection. The right ear is ok now but my left ear was only 20% hearing. I went to my ENT and there was fluid behind my ear drums causing the loss in the left ear. My ENT gave me a 6 day steoird and nasal spray in conjuction with another anitbiotic. After almost a few weeks my right ear is slowly getting better. From what I can tell these things take time to heal.

Sounds a bit like an experience a former fiancé of mine had. She lost hearing in both ears with similar description of symptoms. Lasted about 3 weeks and we went all over the place seeing doctors trying to figure it out. They weren't able to determine exactly what the source was before her hearing returned, then they couldn't really do anything but say "let us know if it happens again". Not sure if it ever did, we broke up soon afterwards for some reason or another. Hang in there, and hopefully it will return as quickly as it left.

Back