Anyone removed DGT pickup covers?

shallbe

My avatar DGT Artist guitar is one of my main gigging instruments. It sounds and plays wonderfully, and works for so much music. I think it is a 2013, rosewood/ebony neck is unbound, v12 finish on body.

Been gigging PRS a long time and I'm old school on PRS guitars in terms of aesthetics. I like birds, don't like binding or pickup covers. Has anyone played uncovered DGT pickups or removed the covers? I know it will change the tone somewhat if I remove them---just curious if it has already been done. My covers are the brushed type.

Here it is next to the rest of the old school gang.

Looks like the answer is a resounding NO!
So did you go ahead and remove the cover???

Deface a DGT pickup??!!

giphy.gif

Yeah, no.

:D

but seriously...no. And...

giphy.gif

I've got nothing to do and all day to do it
Well I'd go out cruising, but I've no place
To go and all night to get there
Is it any wonder I'm not a criminal
Is it any wonder I'm not in jail

Is it any wonder I've got too much time on my hands
It's ticking away with my sanity
I've got too much time on my hands
It's hard to believe such a calamity
I've got too much time on my hands
I've got nothing to do and all day to do it
UtBpUxV.jpg

I always put good looks secondary to fantastic tone.
the DGT pickup is very very nice I've had it in there and only occasionally unhappy with it something like 1.5 years
So I could live with this look if the pickup performs.
but alas taking the cover off it is not a good idea. It's okay tone and it could work with certain amplifiers and certain rigs.
Playing for about an hour and the answer is:
the tone is brash, more attack brighter attack, but not sparkly, not nearly as good as something like a 57/08,
I've been going to change the DGT treble, I'm finding it has a too much mid EQ, and when I dial off the mids on all my amplifiers it steals away some of the tiny treble and some of the bass, in a minorly uncomfortable way. I suppose that can be remedied with a 10 band EQ,
but I'm thinking of a bareknuckle mule. or I maybe can go back to my number 1 problem solver Pearly Gates, I've tried the 59/09 in several guitars and that was quite good but always a little bit to bass heavy EQ not sparkly enough.
but now that I destroyed the DGT pickup, I have to put something in there. I'm sure I can solder the cover back on.
What's a popular PAF replacement for the DGT treble?
BkOgqmc.jpg

I always put good looks secondary to fantastic tone.
the DGT pickup is very very nice I've had it in there and only occasionally unhappy with it something like 1.5 years
So I could live with this look if the pickup performs.
but alas taking the cover off it is not a good idea. It's okay tone and it could work with certain amplifiers and certain rigs.
Playing for about an hour and the answer is:
the tone is brash, more attack brighter attack, but not sparkly, not nearly as good as something like a 57/08,
I've been going to change the DGT treble, I'm finding it has a too much mid EQ, and when I dial off the mids on all my amplifiers it steals away some of the tiny treble and some of the bass, in a minorly uncomfortable way. I suppose that can be remedied with a 10 band EQ,
but I'm thinking of a bareknuckle mule. or I maybe can go back to my number 1 problem solver Pearly Gates, I've tried the 59/09 in several guitars and that was quite good but always a little bit to bass heavy EQ not sparkly enough.
but now that I destroyed the DGT pickup, I have to put something in there. I'm sure I can solder the cover back on.
What's a popular PAF replacement for the DGT treble?
BkOgqmc.jpg

I don’t think you’ve destroyed the DGT pickup.

Maybe try adjusting pickup/pole piece height before replacing pickup.

Good luck in your tonal journey.

Soldering covers back on isn’t a big deal, but I’d strongly recommend using at least 100W. Last time I tried with a home grade 50W iron it didn’t go over well.

If your unhappy with the DGT treble I would go Mira or 59/09 both have a flatter brighter ( or clearer ) EQ and you can sell you DGT for a pretty big pile of $$$$

You know, since you are missing with the innards of your guitar, the pickups aren't the only thing in the circuit of a DGT. There are resistors in parallel with the pickups. If you take those off you are going to get the standard performance of the pickups. Might be more of what you are after.

You know, since you are missing with the innards of your guitar, the pickups aren't the only thing in the circuit of a DGT. There are resistors in parallel with the pickups. If you take those off you are going to get the standard performance of the pickups. Might be more of what you are after.

no I love everything about this guitar the controls are super nice and powerful shaping tools, I really like the treble bleed.
I have it Fender American special telecaster with Texas specials, which is just so beautiful and sparkly I got jealous and wanted some of those sparkly tones in the DGT.

It's a misguided poorly thought out effort to take a guitar that's 95% perfect and see if I can improve it.

I just ordered a brand-new set of bareknuckle mules, I think they're a little more bright and sparkly, I will throw those in over the weekend. But I'm gonna leave the controls alone.

Just an update the DGT pickups are now in a box.

I purchased the bareknuckle calibrated MULE set with no covers, uncovered open coil.
I really have to say they're amazing, the DGT now sounds like a full on Les Paul,
once I got the pickup height set correctly just amazing harmonic bloom, harmonic content on all the strings. Fantastic rubbery pick attack.
the EQ in the mid is exactly what my ears were looking for,,, so responsive to turning the amplifiers mid EQ knob. the alnico IV magnets are something I've never experienced. the bottom power chords are super crisp string to string clarity. powerful thunderous yet not to Bassy, rather impressive and tight.
I've always thought alnico II was slightly too soft on the bottom 2 strings Pearly Gates was the closest I came to tight power cords.
And alnico V, was just a little too harsh of an attack on the high strings.
I really feel like I've improved the guitar to my tastes, very balanced very flexible, the mule neck pickup is much clearer the middle and neck positions on the DGT have become much more useful much less mud, my hotel California solo has never sounded so nearly identical to Don Felders middle pickup setting.
I also set it up so the slug coil was the single coil and that sounds simply amazing to me. These are truly great pickups.

Back