Anyone playing only/mostly PRS these days??

I'm new to PRS, having recently acquired the 594 in my avatar. Historically, I've played Teles and the D'Pergo Bakersfield that's been my number one is magical. But I've brought the 594 to rehearsals for a few weeks now and don't think I'll change that up anytime soon. Other choices are a Thorn Grantura and a JG Bluesmaster S. Lucky man, I know.

4 or 5 years ago I snagged my first PRS, a beat up SE Singlecut with mismatched tuners (black replacements on one side, stock on the other), for a steal on CL. PLayed it that night, crusty stings and all, and fell in love with it. It all went down hill from there with me selling off most all of other guitars.

Today's gigging staples are a '91 CU24 and an SE Tremonti (w/ Tremonti pups). The beater Singlecut is still around and seeing quite a bit of play time (now with Dragon IIs). I still have a few non PRS guitars still around, but most all of them are going up for sale as I rarely, if ever, play them. And with the proceeds I'll probably buy a used CE24 (I want a feature set not found on the new ones!).

And my main gigging amp - a 2 Channel "H" 2x12 combo.

So yeah, I'm stuck on PRS 99% of the time these days!!

I am 100% PRS live. I am using single cuts almost exclusively - an SC245 57/08 is my main stage guitar. Sometimes I use an SC250 Artist, and I always have my Ice Blue S2 Singlecut Standard...that guitar is AMAZING.

But on occasion I'll drag out the McCarty DC245 or the S2 Custom 22 Standard. They are great guitars also, but I prefer the feel of thee Single cuts.

I own 5 SEs and 1 S2.

Then 4 Fenders, a Schecter, two Ibanezes.

I touch only my PRS's 99% of the time.

The other companies didn't send me a Christmas card this year, so...

100% PRS.

I've tried others. For reasons I'm too ignorant to properly explain, nothing compares to PRS...for me.

I've matched my SE models up against some heavy-hitter manufacturer models...and the SE wins, hands-down.

It's not even worth the time to pit those same models against my SC594. They're not even in the same Galaxy.

Unless something drastic happens, I don't see me ever straying from the PRS formula. They're just too good.

All that said - I haven't compared my toys to anything 'Custom Shop'...so perhaps I'm being too harsh on the other guys???

If you are only playing PRS, you are missing out. I have a Gibby Flying V sitting next to my PRS S2. Both get played. Both sound great. Both are different and offer something unique. I will keep both for a long long time. I'll add more PRS and more Gibbys in the future. Maybe a strat too. Music man Axis is on the radar too. Playing one guitar brand is like having one spice in your entire spice rack. Sure.. chili powder is great. But, so is basil, paprika, and cayenne pepper.

100% PRS and never looked back. My view is that everyone is trying to sound like an F or a G. Define that sound. They have changed so many times over the years that their branded sound is lost and is only now being brought back by reissues. Take a Norlin issue LP and a recent vs a vintage and tell me what the LP sound is, they are very different. Same with the f guys.

If I was so in love with ether sound, I would go with that brand but I like a wider sound horizon which all of my guitar s have me so far. The real problem is very simple, without his fingers or brain, i will never sound like Clapton. Cards up, that is one desert island guitar.

If you are only playing PRS, you are missing out. I have a Gibby Flying V sitting next to my PRS S2. Both get played. Both sound great. Both are different and offer something unique. I will keep both for a long long time. I'll add more PRS and more Gibbys in the future. Maybe a strat too. Music man Axis is on the radar too. Playing one guitar brand is like having one spice in your entire spice rack. Sure.. chili powder is great. But, so is basil, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
I've been sitting here and ruminating regarding your post. I do feel that you make very good and eloquently stated points.

Overall, though, I feel that you are just WRONG....................Basil sucks!!!!

Kevin

All that said - I haven't compared my toys to anything 'Custom Shop'...so perhaps I'm being too harsh on the other guys???

It's not a harsh judgment to prefer what you prefer. On the other hand, other people have different preferences, and what you like may not be what they like.

I'm all PRS, but I've had an awful lot of great guitars by other highly respected makers, including Custom Shop models, over a pretty long period. I stuck with PRS after owning and playing a lot of different very fine guitars, because that's what I like. No further rationalization is really necessary., right?

There's no such thing as "The Best Guitar." There's no such thing as "The Best Builder of Guitars." How could there be? People have different preferences. They have different needs.

However, there can be such a thing as "The Best Guitar For You." Again, that depends on the individual, too. Some folks want a lot of variety not only in tones and models, but in makers; some folks (like me) are happier with their favorite company's guitars, and don't feel the need to keep looking, or the pull of other brands.

No one's right, and no one's wrong.

...No one's right, and no one's wrong.
This may be true for consumers, but not for the guitar makers. History has fine examples of companies missing the market and almost going out of business. Fender (CBS) almost killed themselves, Gibson as recently as 2015. In fact, PRSH got his start because there was a market for guitars that weren't being made. People were willing to "pay more to get more", and Paul gave it to them when the others believed the market was saying "pay less to get less".

So while a personal preference is just that, the quality of the preference can lead to one company over another.

So while a personal preference is just that, the quality of the preference can lead to one company over another.

"Quality" is a funny thing. At a certain point, it tends to be diminishing returns per dollar. And a great player might prefer better quality equipment, but doesn't require it.

IMO there is a point of "good enough", such that objective measure of quality vs. value is impractical or impossible.

When I was gigging in the rock band I only gigged PRS Cu24 - top quality, great look and sounds, never went out of tune.
However I also have a Suhr strat-style guitar which is fantastic and also a Larrivee acoustic which is out of this world good.

The PRS is starting to get much more of my time. Probably around 70% at this time. Firebird/LP/Strat all share the rest depending on the day. They all sound great through my Mark III no stripe. Sustain for days.

Back