Anyone played a Fender 57 Custom Champ reissue?

Frank McNerney

Shoitza
Fender 57 champ reissue - 5 watt version.
I've hear this on youtube - for whatever that's worth it sounded pretty good. Anyone have hands on with this?
Thanks in advance

PS I have been following some of the threads here, especially "amp advise" and "good small amps". There is a ton of great information there - BIG thanks to all og you who have contributed there also

Fender 57 champ reissue - 5 watt version.
I've hear this on youtube - for whatever that's worth it sounded pretty good. Anyone have hands on with this?
Thanks in advance

PS I have been following some of the threads here, especially "amp advise" and "good small amps". There is a ton of great information there - BIG thanks to all og you who have contributed there also

My son and his bandmate (whose band got tour support from Fender) use a hand-wired version of these in a wet/dry rig with their 100 Watt Mesa Lone Stars, close-miked, and toured with them for the better part of a year, including when they opened for Petty at Bottlerock last may. I thought they were very cool little amps, and so did my son.

I heard them at a couple of my son’s gigs. They were a nice addition to the rigs.

They’re not loud, so obviously, at a gig they have to be close-miked.

I bought one to use with my PRS SS. I am only learning about these things and could not really judge it by my skills. That said, it is solid and small enough to move about or even take on vehicle aided trips. It seems to do pretty good with no frills .. plug it and the Guitar in and has volume.. that is about it. I have no pedals or anything running through it. I like it, and “think” that it sounds a bit better if I let it warm up a bit before I create my limited cord skill sounds. So far.. I think I would recommend it. It does have the 60hz buzz, but really I only hear that when I think about it.

I spent a little time with one on my recent amp search before I purchased my Mark V. It's a solid little unit with very good tones, especially for clean sounds, just not very versatile. Seems good for home playing and recording, but in a live situation it might have some weakness in the volume dept. and relying on the house PA is not always a good thing.

Based on what I bought (swiss army knife amp) I like really good tones all the way across, in different areas of sound. The 57 champ does clean really well, crunch OK. If you know what you like and it does that, go for it, but if you want to cover a lot of ground, you might want to look at a few other options before you buy.

Good luck in your tone search.

Back