anyone on any Xenforo-powered forums?

james

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of big (non guitar related) forums I try to read on occasion have switched over to Xenforo and I think it's great. I know vBulletin is popular here because of people's familiarity with the Gear Page, Birds and Moons, etc. I particularly like Xenforo's social engagement/rewards system: if someone quotes you or likes your post, you're given a clear alert next time you come back....often a helpful reminder that you need to reply in a thread you may have forgotten about. It's just a more modern system overall and anyone familiar with vBulletin could find their way around Xenforo with ease.

And to be honest, the administration side of this software is incredibly clunky and dated.

Just throwing this out there for discussion. Too nerdy a topic?

Another forum I frequent is sevenstring.org and they have a like/notification system as you mentioned. I don't know if it's xenforo, but I do like the layout/setup. The notification system is nice and I enjoy the like button. I just think it adds an extra personal touch.

They also have a reputation system which is interesting. Members can leave each other positive and/or negative reps depending on the posts.

Another forum I frequent is sevenstring.org and they have a like/notification system as you mentioned. I don't know if it's xenforo, but I do like the layout/setup. The notification system is nice and I enjoy the like button. I just think it adds an extra personal touch.

They also have a reputation system which is interesting. Members can leave each other positive and/or negative reps depending on the posts.

SevenString.org is a vBulletin forum and they're using a plugin called VBSEO to create their like/social system. I've used it too... and like you said, it works well. Unfortunately, it is a plug-in and it's my understanding that VBSEO has called it quits. I wish vBulletin had that functionality out of the box.

SevenString.org is a vBulletin forum and they're using a plugin called VBSEO to create their like/social system. I've used it too... and like you said, it works well. Unfortunately, it is a plug-in and it's my understanding that VBSEO has called it quits. I wish vBulletin had that functionality out of the box.

Ah gotcha. Yea I agree, I wish vbulletin had the feature already implemented.

Were you guys planning on making the switch for these forums?

Ah gotcha. Yea I agree, I wish vbulletin had the feature already implemented.

Were you guys planning on making the switch for these forums?

I'm just spit-balling the idea here in public. I personally think it's great and I think everyone here would too. There is not concrete plan to make that move yet. I do need to run some updates here. Half of me thinks "why keep updating vBulletin and not just migrate over to a better platform?"

In the short term, I want forum members to be happy here on the forum. In the long term, I don't see vBulletin as the best platform for this type of interaction.

I use ih8mud.com and they use it.
I actually prefer vb as I am use to it running my own forum and other vb ones I am on.
Mud made the switch from vb to the new software earlier in the year.
They were down for a few days.

Is there anyway of setting up a beta forum using this xenforo? Have it run in parallel for a short while with a few trusted members to see how they like it? I was a member of a small guitar forum called Vanderbilly. A few of us tested out an updated version that was hidden except to those with a login. Both where VB though. Like the sound of these extra tools that come with Xen.

This reminds me of the CRM we use at work, Maximizer, that is so clunky and we have updated and bastardized it so much to make it a pale version of a better one. We are going to Salesforce in a couple weeks which is the sh!t compared to what we have now......while this is not directly related to your question I mention it because you can only polish a turd so much and it will still never be what the better version is, same as a forum software. If it is better, easier to manage, etc sounds like a no brainer.

Back