Anyone notice rippling/telegraphing through top wood?

ba4x

Just wondering if anybody has seen this, too. I recently picked up a Tonare T40E. The top wood is pretty flat all around, but just behind the bridge there are some ripples. You can see them by holding the guitar up to a light, looking for perturbations in the glare. If I run my finger across the wood, I can feel the rippling a little bit. Probably just my OCD kicking in, but I wanted to ask other PRS owners about it. Maybe the top wood is very thin and the hybrid X bracing design creates this effect. It is obvious that the fanned out braces (praised as part of the hybrid bracing design) are creating the rippling effect.

My living situation is not the best when it comes to humidity control. The guitar may be a bit too humid right now, but it's hard to say.

I was thinking of posting a photo, but it's hard to capture this visually. Here is an image showing the bracing style and the location I'm talking about:
K1pF35N.png

After some google searches, it appears this effect is seen in some classical guitars, and isn't much to worry about. (https://www.cordobaguitars.com/live-play-learn/why-is-my-soundboard-rippled/). Just wanted to check if it's normal on a PRS SE.

Both of my core acoustics have the "ripple". I love them both. No worries.

I should add that I have the humidipak system for both, to ensure proper humidification.

Ah, good to hear. Thanks for the reassurance, mad monk!

They’re all like that, I have an A50 with the same ripple. The top is thinner so it will vibrate and be more resonate. The bridge puts stress on the part of the top. Nothing to worry about though, it won’t affect the playability or durability of the guitar.

Back