Anyone knows the difference between S2 custom 22 semi-hollow & SE custom 22 semi-hollow

johnhui

I can't find the difference except the product origins..

Anyone knows? Please help.

I think the S2 has a mahogany neck while the SE has a maple neck. Other than that, I think the difference is country of origin. I might be wrong and if I am, someone on here will correct my info. I LOVE my SE CU22 Semi Hollow, fwiw. I've done a few upgrades, however, but I think the S2 would benefit from the same upgrades I made.

I’ve not had to make any modifications to my S2’s. The wood will be better on the S2, and the fretwork will be impeccable. They’re Maryland made. Best advice is to try and play them both, and see what your ears tell you.

Fwiw, the fretwork on my SE was immaculate as well. @dogrocketp : does your S2 have the import electronics and hardware? I'm not certain on S2s but thought I read something like that previously and would like to know.

The S2 has a different neck carve and neck wood along with more color options. All the hardware parts that matter are identical. The S2 uses import pickups and bridge. The tuners may be slightly different but it’s not a major one. I have both types.

-k

Went to try both just now. S2 sounds much warmer. Quite a huge difference

Went to try both just now. S2 sounds much warmer. Quite a huge difference

You'll get the warmer sound from the hog neck, maple is snappier. I have this years SE custom 22 semi (don't sleep on the tone nob) and had a S2 single semi, sold the S2 semi as my SE Zach Myers just felt better. Just all depends on what floats your boat. Good luck.

S2 will also have a figured maple top, SE will have a maple top with a figured veneer. Whether that makes much of a difference in anything other than looks is up to the buyer.

The S2 is a very warm sounding guitar. I have one, and use it when I need to play something without jumping out of the mix too much. It stays round sounding on upper frets, and the note attack doesn’t reach out and slap me, sonically, the way the SE did when I tried it. I would recommend the SE if you’re after a versatile and more aggressive rock machine. Also, the ZM is a great guitar, kind of the best of both worlds although no trem.

Fwiw, the fretwork on my SE was immaculate as well. @dogrocketp : does your S2 have the import electronics and hardware? I'm not certain on S2s but thought I read something like that previously and would like to know.
I have 5 SE’s. The fretwork on 2 of them was excellent. The other 3 needed work. All S2’s have the import electronics. The mahogany necks on my S2 Custom 24 and S2 Studio give them a warmer sound to my ears, than the SE’s. The SE’s all have maple necks. I’ve never played an S2 that didn’t have perfect fretwork.

Last edited:
Back