Anyone know how "Northern Lights" finish is done?

Just a guess but: Black/grey stain/dye, sand, blue stain/dye, sand, red/pink stain dye, sand? Maybe reverse the last two colors... I don’t know, never spend that much time thinking how to make things blue.

"Very carefully"

But seriously, serge has it right, it's done in layers, I just thought the layers would include a green in one of them. Not sure about the order, though.

I really need the colors and order.

I have one in that color, and looking at it carefully, there appear to be a lot of subtly different stain layers.

Seems as though the recipe would be proprietary info, so if you want to go for it, my guess is there’ll be a lot of trial and error.

I believe Trampas stated in his spotlight interview that it is one of the more complicated finishes, because it is indeed a multi-stain&sand process. Just look at what he did for Shawn's cut-off pieces for his Employee Guitar - two different stains with careful sanding in between. And those were relatively easy finishes!

My guess would be a light gray stain, sand, red, sand a bit heavier, blue, light sand, green. But I also bet PRS has a trademark on the process, or at least classifies it as their IP.

Back