Anyone have new CE24 vs old CE24?

fuze

I figured this would be the place to ask... has anyone personally owned both the old and new CE24?

CE24 model is calling my name, and I dont know what to go with!

I have never had my hands on a new ce24. When I see them for sale I just can't get excited enough to buy one.

I realize prs was going for a particular tone with this guitar and the components used but I absolutely LOVE the body carve on the core guitars. The carve and the headstock shape are sooo sexy to look at and it adds to the playing experience for me.

If I saw a used new ce24 going for super cheap I might bite. But my heart belongs to the older models. I have three 1997 CEs and I love them.

I'll never understand why they didn't sell well enough to stay in the line up.

Good luck.

..but I absolutely LOVE the body carve on the core guitars.
Amen. I have two older bolt-ons, an ‘06 and ‘08 specifically because of the fully carved top. I’d like to try the pickups in the new models and the new colors are great, too. But until they get the shape of the core line back, it’s a non-starter for me.

OP, sorry, I guess my answer is ‘no I havent’.

My reclaimed limited CE24 is pretty sweet. The 85/15 pickups are great. But it's not a 'normal' new CE (satin, diff woods)

Isn't it the same body carve, just without recessed knobs?

edit: i just mean the body carve in the newer CE's vs. core. and newer CE's vs older CE's

Body carve is definitely different. “A lot different” nah, but more like an s2 than an older CE is how I think of the new ones.

I thought it has the concave carve, with a slight lip, like the core but maybe it's not as deep.

New ones still have a pretty good carve to them, with the similar outside edge lip...

I haven't spent a whole lot of time with either one, but have tried a couple of the newer CE's.

Compared to my core line guitars, the body carve isn't as dramatic. However, this does not take anything away from the guitar, in my opinion. I actually like the less dramatic carve quite a bit. It's comfortable and doesn't feel so dramatically different that it would turn me away from buying one. One thing I definitely like about the newer ones over the older is the satin-finished neck. To me, a bare maple neck is just an absolute joy to play.

In terms of tone and pickups....I couldn't really find a tone that I fell in love with in the short couple times I've played them. Again, this is coming from maybe three times playing them in a guitar store for ten minutes and not being able to play one through my personal setup. I've seen some videos of people getting some great tones out of them, though.

The older ones definitely pack a lot of mojo. And getting an older one means that the guitar has been put through it's paces and has "settled into it's skin" a bit.

Either way, it's hard to go wrong when you go with PRS.

Back