Anyone have experience with the PRS Locking Saddles?

Thanks for all the replies, folks! I had missed the thread where that gent was having issues, so that’s good to know!

Just a side note: Every time I read posts and threads where people talk about the tuning stability of PRS trems, or how they can't do divebombs and heavy whammy sh!t without staying in tune, I don't know what to think.

I'm the most average human being on the planet, and I have zero problems keeping a US/Mann/MilCom trem equipped PRS in tune with moderate to heavy whammy use. I mean, I don't play that style anymore but I sure did for many years. I must be blessed by Alllah or something 'cause I read these threads, wonder WTF the guys are doing that are having troubles, then go grab a bunch of PRS with the intent to make a video demonstrating me bottoming out trems across multiple PRS and them coming back in tune. I never get around to filming it because I usually wind up annoying myself with obnoxious metal guitar solos for twenty minutes or so but... I honestly just don't get what ya'll with problems are doing wrong.

Maybe I have to spot tune a couple of strings every so often after really banging on it but, no more so than a violin player or a dude with a minimoog does. I had to do the same thing when I played "Floyd" guitars back in the day...

All I know is, that one fine day In October of 1993 was the last day I've ever needed a f@cking Allen wrench for anything other than IKEA furniture or towel racks. God bless John Mann, Eric Pritchard, and Paul Smith. If they could just come up with a way to make my guitars clip my fingernails and cut the excess string off, I may never need another tool for playing guitar ever again.

Well nowhere in there did I say I was having trouble keeping my PRS tremolos in tune with regular use, Sergio. ;) I’m simply curious if the locking saddles added anything to the PRS trem for heavy use like nonstop divebombs and hard flutters. Properly stretched strings go a long way with maintaining tuning stability on any guitar, but double locking tremolos still have an edge over traditional tremolos for tuning stability when it comes to Vai-esque “abuse” (you’ll also note I specifically called it that as that’s what I’m talking about, not just some light vibrato). I don’t think it’s a stupid question nor is it something people are “doing wrong” by asking it, but since I’m not trying to drop an Evertune bridge on my PRS, I’m curious if Paul’s latest tweaking of the PRS tremolo has yielded any benefits. :)

Thanks for all the replies, folks! I had missed the thread where that gent was having issues, so that’s good to know!

Well nowhere in there did I say I was having trouble keeping my PRS tremolos in tune with regular use, Sergio. ;) I’m simply curious if the locking saddles added anything to the PRS trem for heavy use like nonstop divebombs and hard flutters. Properly stretched strings go a long way with maintaining tuning stability on any guitar, but double locking tremolos still have an edge over traditional tremolos for tuning stability when it comes to Vai-esque “abuse” (you’ll also note I specifically called it that as that’s what I’m talking about, not just some light vibrato). I don’t think it’s a stupid question nor is it something people are “doing wrong” by asking it, but since I’m not trying to drop an Evertune bridge on my PRS, I’m curious if Paul’s latest tweaking of the PRS tremolo has yielded any benefits. :)

None of that was directed at you, buddy. I was just feeling obnoxious that day. I apologize.

I was initially worried about the locking saddles on my Gen III PS trem, but turns out they’re fine to deal with.

My guitar sustains so well, and sounds so awesome with the hardware it came with, that I wouldn’t change a thing.

Allen wrench every so often? Bring it on.

None of that was directed at you, buddy. I was just feeling obnoxious that day. I apologize.

Haha no worries mango, it’s just one of those things I wanted to clarify. As far as 6 screw tremolos go, the PRS/Mann can’t be beat. ;) I think at the end of the day I was just looking to see if PRS had found a way to keep the guitar 100% in tune during insane trem abuse like a perfectly set up Floyd while maintaining the tone of the PRS trem (which I prefer tonally). Seems like the answer is “not quite” but I guess at the end of the day, that’s why I have both options in the house!! :D

i only want a trem on g b and e, so would prefer a torsioned half floyd with two bars and a block on e a and d.

Reminds me of Matte Henderson’s guitars that had a 6 string trem and then a hardtail saddle for the low B 7th string. Haven’t seen anyone do it for just the high 3 strings, but that’s an interesting idea. :)

I was initially worried about the locking saddles on my Gen III PS trem, but turns out they’re fine to deal with.

My guitar sustains so well, and sounds so awesome with the hardware it came with, that I wouldn’t change a thing.

Allen wrench every so often? Bring it on.

Cool to hear, thanks again for the info! Exactly my point with the Allen wrench, I have several sets laying around the house and even bolted a few to the backs of my floyd-equipped guitars since I know I’ll need them handy! ;)

Haha no worries mango, it’s just one of those things I wanted to clarify. As far as 6 screw tremolos go, the PRS/Mann can’t be beat. ;) I think at the end of the day I was just looking to see if PRS had found a way to keep the guitar 100% in tune during insane trem abuse like a perfectly set up Floyd while maintaining the tone of the PRS trem (which I prefer tonally). Seems like the answer is “not quite” but I guess at the end of the day, that’s why I have both options in the house!! :D

Man, if "someone" would post the Group of Death video you'd see that you can wank on a PRS trem and wings for a day long video shoot without retuning while they guy with the double,locking system has to tune all day long.

Not that I'm weighing in here, in any way. I'm just trying to get someone to post a video! Mostly cuz it's a hilarious skit, but also because it proves a point.

I'd imagine that the locking saddles can only add more tuning stability(not detract) as it eliminates the ball end moving/getting caught, but the shifting of saddles problem does put me off. Also, call me crazy but I much prefer the look of the non locking saddles.

My vote is to go with the locking saddles cus you can easily purchase the non locking ones!

Man, if "someone" would post the Group of Death video you'd see that you can wank on a PRS trem and wings for a day long video shoot without retuning while they guy with the double,locking system has to tune all day long.

Not that I'm weighing in here, in any way. I'm just trying to get someone to post a video! Mostly cuz it's a hilarious skit, but also because it proves a point.

I wish there was a way that I could demonstrate my point without being an @sshole or showing my balls.... but alas, I lack the skills.

What are you talkin' about?!?! Being an @sshole, and showing your balls IS a skill!
But there was an "or" in there, so I can see where he's conflicted. For many of us that would be a tough choice. For some, it's an easy one. :D

i learned eruption on a guild acoustic, no problem.
Yeah, I learned it on an Ibanez Artist. No trem on that either, I did it all with fingerslides. But you can't to the low E string dive bombs with the trem you said you wanted so you'd have to modify those like I did. Which is fine til you have a Floyd Rose to do them with.

I recently ordered the string locks from Phantom guitar works, and I'm disappointed.
The concept is great, but the execution is awful.
The saddles are made out of very cheap materials, and the grooves are too shallow, and eventually they start to sound like a sitar.
I've asked so many folks at PRS so many times if I could purchase the locking saddles they have separately, and they won't allow it -- seems like they want to keep them "exclusive" to the private stocks and limited edition builds.
If anyone has them and doesn't like them, please sell them to me. I'll gladly take them off your hands and / or trade you for a brand new set of the US non-locking ones.

I recently ordered the string locks from Phantom guitar works, and I'm disappointed.
The concept is great, but the execution is awful.
The saddles are made out of very cheap materials, and the grooves are too shallow, and eventually they start to sound like a sitar.
I've asked so many folks at PRS so many times if I could purchase the locking saddles they have separately, and they won't allow it -- seems like they want to keep them "exclusive" to the private stocks and limited edition builds.
If anyone has them and doesn't like them, please sell them to me. I'll gladly take them off your hands and / or trade you for a brand new set of the US non-locking ones.
That's a shame as those are what I've ordered. Should be with me in a couple of days. I'll give them a try out and if they don't work out it won't be a big loss as they weren't expensive. But it would be nice if there were a few more options out there from the main manufacturers. What we need is Mann to offer some....

That's a shame as those are what I've ordered. Should be with me in a couple of days. I'll give them a try out and if they don't work out it won't be a big loss as they weren't expensive. But it would be nice if there were a few more options out there from the main manufacturers. What we need is Mann to offer some....

Would be sweet if Mann could do them, but I think there’s a patent issue here. Nothing else makes sense as to why there aren’t more companies offering something similar.

The Phantom ones are supposed to be brass plated in nickel...but there’s a reason why they’re so cheap. It’s definitely not the same kind of brass that Paul or John Mann use.

Well the phantom locking saddles turned up yesterday. I fitted them last night but haven't had chance to evaluate yet. They certainly are cheaply made (and they were actually cheap to be fair) and I've already broken the top E twice stretching the strings so it looks like I'll have to file away a sharp bit. Hopefully I can get them to at least be stable and not break anything. Re-stringing is a pain, but I don't change strings often so that doesn't bother me too much.

I have come across these though developed by Wilkinson/Suhr which look promising. Hopefully will be available as just saddles

Dude! Thanks for that video! OMG! That's EPIC! Holy crap...Ya know I was thinking about getting a Warmoth Tele...That's out the window now. Definitely going to order a Suhr and request that bridge when it's available. And OFC I would need it recess routed.
That's another thing I've always wondered about -- why doesn't Paul at least have the option to recess mount his trem bridges, so you can bend up more and flutter more effectively?
I know I've seen a few PRS that actually do have a small cutout in the back but I've never actually seen one for sale, outside of one Tremonti model.

Reactions: jxe
Back