Anyone have experience with the PRS Locking Saddles?

HighGain510

Just one more...
I know these have mainly been used on Private Stocks or PS-level limited edition guitars, but have any of you folks spent some time with the PRS Locking Saddles?

collection9d_curly.jpg

I’m a huge fan of the Floyd Rose, so I was curious how the tuning stability was on the PRS locking saddles for a good deal of tremolo abuse. ;) Obviously the PRS tremolo holds tune better than most non-locking tremolo units out there, but I found myself wondering if the Private Stock Gen 3 trem with the locking saddles could handle heavier tremolo use/dive bombs/etc. closer to a Floyd but still keep the tone I love from the PRS tremolo? I know there aren’t a ton of guitars out there with these saddles but figured I’d ask in case some folks here had spent some time with them! :D Thanks!

I'm not sure I understand how locking saddles help... seems like overkill

I have them on one of my PS guitars. The tuning stability is fantastic, and I also think they transmit the vibrations from the bridge to the body of the guitar extremely well, because the string is held to the saddle tightly — the guitar rings and sustains for...well...you know... [insert spinal tap line here].

I haven’t had a Floyd for many years, so I can’t directly compare them, but I didn’t care for the Floyd when I had it because of the damned locks at the nut.

I'm not sure I understand how locking saddles help... seems like overkill

You know how a Floyd Rose locks the string to the bridge? Same concept. You get better tuning stability because there’s no play or slipping at the saddle. The string is locked at the tuning machine and at the bridge.

Anyway, what’s overkill when it comes to obsessing over guitars?? ;)

I have them on one of my PS guitars. The tuning stability is fantastic, and I also think they transmit the vibrations from the bridge to the body of the guitar extremely well, because the string is held to the saddle tightly — the guitar rings and sustains for...well...you know... [insert spinal tap line here].

I haven’t had a Floyd for many years, so I can’t directly compare them, but I didn’t care for the Floyd when I had it because of the damned locks at the nut.

You know how a Floyd Rose locks the string to the bridge? Same concept. You get better tuning stability because there’s no play or slipping at the saddle. The string is locked at the tuning machine and at the bridge.

Anyway, what’s overkill when it comes to obsessing over guitars?? ;)

I understand the principle, just in practice I was thinking, how far could a string really move between saddle and ball end? unless you're going full bore divebombs here comes the aeroplane... but yeah I mean if you can have them, why not

They look great. I'd love something like this for my Strat. In fact I've been wishing for exactly this product for a while

I understand the principle, just in practice I was thinking, how far could a string really move between saddle and ball end? unless you're going full bore divebombs here comes the aeroplane... but yeah I mean if you can have them, why not

I don’t do dive bombs, however, I think the more controlled contact with the saddle might help with sustain. The one I have with it has very impressive sustain, even on fretted notes. Admittedly, one guitar is not a valid sample size, so that’s why I use the qualifier, “might.”

The other thing is that even when I’m not using the trem, the guitar stays in tune forever. Tune it up, and I’m good for an entire session.

In my experience the nut is the dominant issue with trem stability.

I use Floyds and non-Floyds a lot. My Tremonti trem stays in tune pretty well, but my Floyds are unparalleled. Of course my trem use borders on abusive. Well, actually abusive at times. Vai tricks.

They look great. I'd love something like this for my Strat. In fact I've been wishing for exactly this product for a while

I believe AllParts or someone has made saddles like these for decades. You might be able to grab a set for your Strat if you dig around.

Just ordered something from eBay.

Only £11 or so thought I might as well take a chance on them

Right on! That seems like a pretty easy pill to swallow price wise to find out if something like that'll work out for you.

Just a side note: Every time I read posts and threads where people talk about the tuning stability of PRS trems, or how they can't do divebombs and heavy whammy sh!t without staying in tune, I don't know what to think.

I'm the most average human being on the planet, and I have zero problems keeping a US/Mann/MilCom trem equipped PRS in tune with moderate to heavy whammy use. I mean, I don't play that style anymore but I sure did for many years. I must be blessed by Alllah or something 'cause I read these threads, wonder WTF the guys are doing that are having troubles, then go grab a bunch of PRS with the intent to make a video demonstrating me bottoming out trems across multiple PRS and them coming back in tune. I never get around to filming it because I usually wind up annoying myself with obnoxious metal guitar solos for twenty minutes or so but... I honestly just don't get what ya'll with problems are doing wrong.

Maybe I have to spot tune a couple of strings every so often after really banging on it but, no more so than a violin player or a dude with a minimoog does. I had to do the same thing when I played "Floyd" guitars back in the day...

All I know is, that one fine day In October of 1993 was the last day I've ever needed a f@cking Allen wrench for anything other than IKEA furniture or towel racks. God bless John Mann, Eric Pritchard, and Paul Smith. If they could just come up with a way to make my guitars clip my fingernails and cut the excess string off, I may never need another tool for playing guitar ever again.

Last edited:
Right on! That seems like a pretty easy pill to swallow price wise to find out if something like that'll work out for you.

Just a side note: Every time I read posts and threads where people talk about the tuning stability of PRS trems, or how they can't do divebombs and heavy whammy sh!t without staying in tune, I don't know what to think.

I'm the most average human being on the planet, and I have zero problems keeping a US/Mann/MilCom trem equipped PRS in tune with moderate to heavy whammy use. I mean, I don't play that style anymore but I sure did for many years. I must be blessed by Alllah or something 'cause I read these threads, wonder WTF the guys are doing that are having troubles, then go grab a bunch of PRS with the intent to make a video demonstrating me bottoming out trems across multiple PRS and them coming back in tune. I never get around to filming it because I usually wind up annoying myself with obnoxious metal guitar solos for twenty minutes or so but... I honestly just don't get what ya'll with problems are doing wrong.

Maybe I have to spot tune a couple of strings every so often after really banging on it but, no more so than a violin player or a dude with a minimoog does. I had to do the same thing when I played "Floyd" guitars back in the day...

All I know is, that one fine day In October of 1993 was the last day I've ever needed a f@cking Allen wrench for anything other than IKEA furniture or towel racks. God bless John Mann, Eric Pritchard, and Paul Smith. If they could just come up with a way to make my guitars clip my fingernails and cut the excess string off, I may never need another tool for playing guitar ever again.

You know, there is a certain video of you that already demonstrates the stability of the trems. You could just post that :D

There was a thread about this a while back (Q's about Gen 3 tremolo setup) and my take on it was they're a PIA for a variety of reasons, not least that tightening the saddle locking screw can make the saddle back up, leaving the head of the intonation screw sticking out of the rear of the trem plate, and making the intonation go off. There are pics half way down the first page showing the issue. At the end of the second page there is a set-up recommendation for restringing with the locking saddles were you need to leave the string ends free and just hold the strings with the clamps to prevent tuning issues.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/qs-about-gen-3-tremolo-setup.17397/

I know these have mainly been used on Private Stocks or PS-level limited edition guitars, but have any of you folks spent some time with the PRS Locking Saddles?

collection9d_curly.jpg

I’m a huge fan of the Floyd Rose, so I was curious how the tuning stability was on the PRS locking saddles for a good deal of tremolo abuse. ;) Obviously the PRS tremolo holds tune better than most non-locking tremolo units out there, but I found myself wondering if the Private Stock Gen 3 trem with the locking saddles could handle heavier tremolo use/dive bombs/etc. closer to a Floyd but still keep the tone I love from the PRS tremolo? I know there aren’t a ton of guitars out there with these saddles but figured I’d ask in case some folks here had spent some time with them! :D Thanks!

I asked the forums the same question in the private stock thread and some of them mentioned that they much prefer the tone of the non locking saddles. Technically you could order yours with the locking saddles and buy a new set of non locking ones if you didn't like them. I ordered my PS last week without the locking saddles plainly because I can't be bothered with an additional step when changing strings. Or check if you can order the locking saddles through your dealer? Perhaps they'd allow the purchase if you already have a PS trem guitar.

Interestingly, in all the PS trem guitars I've seen on the web, i would say easily 90% of them were spec'ed without the locking saddles.

Back